CA - San Francisco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JulesMichy

Assistant Cook
Just got back from vacation, and I thought I'd provide a few of our favorite places. Unfortunately, I can't remember the names of many of them. Maybe some native SFers will know.

We stayed at the Renoir Hotel at Mcallister and Market. Directly across from the hotel were two of our favorite places that we ate. One was a little Thai place that had fantastic curry. My boyfriend had the lemon-pepper chicken that was also extremely tasty.

Also directly across from our hotel was a little bakery run by an Asian family. We ate there every morning. The muffins were light and fluffy, and used fresh berries. The cheese danish was the best I ever had. You could taste real garlic and not garlic powder or salt in the garlic bread. The last night we were there was the evening before my birthday, and we tried to hurry back from the zoo to purchase a cake, but they were closed and we had to leave before they opened the next morning. I nearly cried, I tell you. Their pastries were phenomenal.

In Japantown, we spent a good amount of time looking for the perfect restaurant. Both my boyfriend and I love Japanese food, and we've had a lot of it, so we weren't about to fall into tourist traps and eat somewhere overpriced and mediocre. We decided on Juban Yakiniku House, on the bottom floor of the indoor restaurant mall in Japantown. It had a cute little sakura motif, and a giant cherry tree stood at the center of the bar with pink petals all over the place. My boyfriend ordered the Chicken Bento with miso soup, and I got the Gyu-Don. His bento was pretty good, but my steak and rice bowl was amazing. But his miso soup was better than my egg drop.

Antica Trattoria was a little Italian place on Polk Street. And when I say little, I mean tiny. Definitely make reservations. I ordered an appetizer as my meal that included clams, pancetta, tomatoes and pasta. It was fantastic. And the tiramisu was the best I've ever had.

Buena Vista at the very bottom of Hyde St. down by Pier 45 (or so) is famous for having invented the Irish Coffee. I had to go back for another before we left, they're so good.

The Starlight Room on the 21st floor of the Sir Francis Drake Hotel is a groovy little nightspot with an eclectic atmosphere, tasty martinis and other cocktails, a fantastic view, and a good DJ. Definitely my favorite nightspot that we hit while we were out there.

Last edited:
Hi, Jules. Thanks for the reviews :) A tip, if you're interested: When I'm on vacation, I always take pictures of the places where we eat. DH laughs about it, but I can always find out later where we've been and tell friends or family if they're going to the same city.

Heh, your username just reminded me. Another restaurant we ate at was called The Stinking Rose. Their motto was: "We flavor our garlic with a little food."

The boyfriend and I ordered a roasted garlic appetizer that came with rosemary crostinis. It was pretty good, a little overpowering, though, just to split between two people.

I ate at the Stinking Rose with a group on a business trip to SF years ago. When we asked the waiter what he recommended for dessert, he said, "I recommend you go somewhere else."

I ate at the Stinking Rose with a group on a business trip to SF years ago. When we asked the waiter what he recommended for dessert, he said, "I recommend you go somewhere else."
Wow! What a brat.. but an honest brat, you gotta appreciate that. I always say you can judge a restaurant by its pastries and desserts.

Thanks for posting the SF notes. I Love it there, but wonder if I'll ever get back someday. Maybe RedKitty can help you remember the names of some places once she gets settled back into her SF diggs. I like Shanghai Kelly's cuz it's a 'Burgh bar!! Hehe And also we liked that restaurant where the pics on the wall move around. Or was that too much booze?

Hi Jules ~ I have always lived within 20-30 minutes of San Francisco. I really don't get over there as much as I should, but I do love "The City". I think it is one of the prettiest cities in the world with soooooo much going on.

I'm glad you had a good vacation -- I enjoyed your comments. Did you take a bay cruise? Visit Mission Dolores? The Presidio? Fort Point? Alcatraz? Golden Gate Park? Ghiardelli Square? Where is your home town?

I'm glad you had a good vacation -- I enjoyed your comments. Did you take a bay cruise? Visit Mission Dolores? The Presidio? Fort Point? Alcatraz? Golden Gate Park? Ghiardelli Square? Where is your home town?

I'm from Lafayette, IN. But my boyfriend lived near SF for many years before his family moved to the Midwest, and he knew his way around quite well. We spent most of our time walking around Fisherman's Wharf and the Embarcadero. We did a boat tour of the Golden Gate bridge and Alcatraz. We visited the Ghirardelli factory, but as I'm not a fan of their chocolate we didn't linger there. I did, however, love Kay's Cupcakes (I believe it was called) right across from the chocolate shop in Ghirardelli Square.

I have to say, I could've been better prepared. I would've brought warmer clothes, more comfortable shoes, and probably spent a few weeks on a treadmill prior to coming to SF if I'd known how chilly and exhausting it could be to walk around town. Those hills really kill you. ;)

Back
Top Bottom