New iPhone Apps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
So who here has an iPhone? DO you have the new 3G or the old style? If you have the old style, have you upgraded to the 2.0 software yet to take advantage of all the new apps?

What apps have you downloaded that you like?

I have only been downloading free ones so far, but there are some pretty cool ones. The of the ones I like the most both basically do the same thing. They are Shazam and Midomi. With these apps you can hold your iPhone up to a music source for a few seconds and it will tell you the name of the song and the artist. With Midomi you can even hum or sing into it and it will tell you the song. So far both of these have worked 100% for me. They are really quite amazing. Once they tell you what the song is they also will link you to youtube to watch a video of the song if it exists or iTunes to purchase it if you want. It amazes me how well it works. I keep trying to stump it with obscure songs, but it guesses them every time.

There is another app called NowLocal which gives me the news relative to my current location. It shows the news going on around me at any given time.

BoxOffice is an app that shows movie times and locations as well as the Rotten Tomato rating if there is one. It will also link you to Fandango to purchase tickets.

The most useful is Reqall. This app lets you organize your life by making notes and to-do lists and lists of things you need to buy. The cool thing about Reqall is that you can record voice notes and lists and it transcribes them for you. Just speak into the phone and it writes it down for you. This is one that you don't even need an iPhone for. Just go to reQall and sign up for free. It will give you a phone number to use and you assign your email address to it. Then anytime you need to make a note you just call the 800 number and speak your note. It then transcribes it and sends it to your email. Very handy!

So what apps have you been using?

Last edited:
I have a new My Phone. I can make and receive telephone calls all over the USA. I can take pictures with it and can even do some internet stuff.

I can download ringtones.

This is so cool! I am right in the middle of the last decade!

I am amazed at all the things the iphone and others can do!

In the past couple of years I finally moved from a desktop to a laptop. I'd need eye surgery or glasses to use an iphone. The text is too small to read. Not to mention, I wouldn't make use of all the features.

Actually Andy, you would be surprised. You would have an easier time with an iPhone than your existing phone because the text can be enlarged VERY large. Any text or images or just about anything on the screen can be re-sized to fit your needs.

I do know that, GB. I imagine my self enlarging the text to a readable size and scrolling endlessly to read one sentence!

Also, I have no need for all the apps and functionality it provides. I know one person who texts... I own a camera. I'm not 'on the go' and busy enough to need a portable computer, camera, phone, music, etc. thingy.

I have seen tem in operation and they are way cool. The pics they produce are better than my cell's.

I'm content using my phone to make phone calls.

It definitely is not for everyone, that is for sure Andy. Of course we were thinking of getting the mods iPhones so you can be on call 24/7 :LOL:

I have a hand cranked wall phone. Just call Galdys, the local operator, and ask her to 'ring me up'. Be careful what you say, she listens in to my conversations.;)

I haven't really had time to explore the new apps yet.
Dh likes Pandora, it's like a radio station type thing. You can type in an artist that you like and they will give you similar artists to listen to. You can rate the songs and it'll take you to iTunes if you want to buy them.

I have been trying to get one since Friday. I am not a happy camper right now. Quite disgusted in Apple and how they've handled this mess. I've always been one of their biggest fans but right now....... :(

Andy I just made up that number. Any reference is purely coincidental.

cora, I used to use Pandora a few years back. I loved it. There were a lot of musicians I learned of because of Pandora and a lot of artists that I probably would not have listened to otherwise that I now really like (Dolly Parton comes to mind). I doubt I will get it for my iPhone just because I already have too much music so the last thing I need is more, but chances are I will cave eventually and get it.

Red don't give up. It will work at some point. I have heard a lot of horror stories so far about this release. I am sorry you were one of the people caught up in it. Keep trying though. Don't give up.

Thanks G. I called around to several Apple stores and they are getting shipments daily. They only have the 16g in white, which I do not want. So I'll go at the end of the week and get one. Can you believe they still had people waiting up to 4 hours for a phone today!

I could care less about the newest fad.

There's always something better out soon after.

If it's something I will use, it won't be an impulse buy or to look cool. I'll look around and get what suits my needs and budget. I don't need any extra poop.

It happens to be an incredible useful tool Saph. It certainly is not for everyone, but dismissing it just because it is popular is a bit silly IMO. This tool has done more for me than any other "phone" ever has and continues to do so. Not only that, but with the updates and new apps that keep coming out it keeps becoming more and more useful.

I know what you mean, but I'm just saying most of us can live without it.

I already have a pc and a laptop and a cell phone, I don't need another gadget to drive me insane.

There are plenty of things we can live without. We can live without cell phones, laptops, and PC's as well. They are tools that we enjoy to use though. If they drive you insane then don't get them, but those of us who use them generally like them and find tremendous value in them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom