Where do I start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

orlando521

Assistant Cook
Ive entered a couple of recipe contests but havent heard back. Got any tips or websites that are informative. :pig:

1. you lost
2. you lost
3. you lost
4. you won. you found discuss cooking. you need to search no further. :)

That's right, Orlando - this is your lucky day! You have found a great place to learn new recipes, ask advice, make new friends and share your skills with others. Welcome.

Last edited:
Ive entered a couple of recipe contests but havent heard back. Got any tips or websites that are informative. :pig:

Welcome to DC, Orlando!

Since you're asking this question in the Contest Forum I assume the websites and information you are looking for are contest related.

Probably one of the best contest websites is Cooking Contest Central ... they do charge an annual $25 fee for full access to all info - but visit their site and on the home page scroll down and click on "About Or Listings" to see what they have and where they get their information, then click on the "Visitor Welcome !!" link at the top left-hand of the page. They have some essential basic tips that are free, and the "Ongoing Contests" (Monthly, Quarterly, Ongoing) are also free. These are not the big money contests - but a place to get your feet wet. The list of major big money contests you have to pay to access.

If you want to ferret out your own info on the big contests, and some other contest sites - Google on Recipe Contests, Cooking Contests or Food Contests for some other sites to check out.

Hope this is along the lines of what you were asking for.

Thanks of the help michael, has anyone here won or made it to the final rounds in a contest?

Yes i have to say i have found this forum to be very informative. If you need any recipies then just have a look around on the site!!!
kimmy

This is my question too!!

Hi, Orlando... you have asked the question that has just brought me to DC. I to did the web serch and found this sit and the two below that seem to provide detailed list. One site gives 2008 contests that have ended. I googled some and found the 2009 info for the upcoming contest.

I have not entered any yet, but will soon.

Kevin

I am a new member so the site would not let me post the links. Any one can email me for the links or google the following to get the links

2009 - 2010 RECIPE Contests, Recipe & Cooking Contests: food contests & competitions

Cooking contests, recipe contests, and culinary events for competitive cooks

Cooking contest info

I'm new here, but I did find a good article about increasing your chances in winning - would that help? I can't post the link since I haven't posted 20 times yet, but I'll check back and post the link as soon as I'm allowed

Stacy
NY, NY

RSS feeds for COntest info

If you want to ferret out your own info on the big contests, and some other contest sites - Google for some other sites to check out.

I've also found that if you use a news reader to get your RSS feeds, you can have their web crawler grab that info for you. I have mine (I use google's reader) set to "recipe contests" and each day I get links to blogs and newspaper posts about contests. These links don't necessarily list new contests, but I've learned a lot from reading the blogs of avid food contest contestants and I have learned of many contests.

Stacy
NY, NY

I've also found that if you use a news reader to get your RSS feeds, you can have their web crawler grab that info for you. I have mine (I use google's reader) set to "recipe contests" and each day I get links to blogs and newspaper posts about contests. These links don't necessarily list new contests, but I've learned a lot from reading the blogs of avid food contest contestants and I have learned of many contests.

Stacy
NY, NY

Great ideal Stacy. I have set it up!!!!

I entered a cooking competition while in culinary school. I made it through the first two preliminary rounds and was one of 6 finalists to compete for the four spots in the major competition to represent our school. I had made the dish 12 times in practice and it came out perfect and under the 30 minute time limit.

However, when I was in the "competition" setting, Both the dish and I fell apart. There was a tie for the fourth spot between me and another student, but it was kind of "best of the worst" scenario and I thankfully lost. I will never enter competition cooking again.

But in many ways I won, because my dish became a vegitarian appetizer on our school restaurant menu! For me, the consolation prize was better than the chance to win a medal!

My point is that here at DC you are treated like a winner all the time and competition isn't necessarily as glamorous as it is made out to be.

Life's Journey

I entered a cooking competition while in culinary school. ....... For me, the consolation prize was better than the chance to win a medal!

My point is that here at DC you are treated like a winner all the time and competition isn't necessarily as glamorous as it is made out to be.

As I get older I continue to find wisdom in the saying that life is about the journey and the discoveries we make along the way. The journey is often more memorable and rewarding then the destination.

For instance, you found great pleasure in seeing other enjoying the recipe, and you disliked having to "perform" as part of the contest. So perhaps contests where your recipe was judged only on it's merits and not how you deal with being in the spotlight might work for future contests.

Maybe for you cash isn't the ideal "prize" - perhaps you'd "get" more from the experience if part of the prize was seeing your recipe in a printed publication that you respect or having it added to the menu of an establishment you can be proud to be associated with. How you define accomplishment or satisfaction is personal.

There are so many contests out there and the requirements are just as varied. Prizes aren't always monetary and in person participation isn't always required.

I've learned that I do well cooking in person in front of groups. I've done many demo's and group cooking classes. I've learned that I don't care for contests that require me to submit a video tape. I may learn to like that medium, and I'm keeping an open mind about it, but those contests just don't get me excited about the process.

As with so many things in life, find something that "fits" and strikes you as fun. With any luck, the outcome, win, lose or draw, will leave you feeling like you've accomplished something. Sometimes the accomplishment may be something small, like developing a dish you're proud of and getting it in by the deadline!

Personally, I think that if a person's only motivation in life are the financial rewards, they're missing out on so much in their lives.

Stacy

Thanks, Stacy.

The truth is what I got out of this is not so much I don't LIKE to compete but that I don't have to. Prizes and 15 minutes of fame are not important to me. It is cooking good food and having others enjoy it, even if it is behind the scenes and they never know who I am.

This doesn't mean I am against contests - hey, I watch "Food Network Challenge" every night and love Top Chef! It just means I am content not going for the gold.

I agree

I agree with L P Beier and Guaranteed GF

For me I am wanting to expand in to trying to see how good I am at some contests.

But, the best blue ribbon for me is when friends and co-workers rave over my on personal recipes. They find out it is my on creation and not from a cookbook or other sorce.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom