Calamari/Squid rings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cath4420

Senior Cook
Ok need some help here.

Picked up some whole squid rings on special and on previous occasions I have crumbed, pan fried and battered.

Was wondering whether anyone had any different ways of making squid/squid rings mouthwatering??:chef:

grill skewers of rings over extremely hot coals or flames for just a few seconds. serve on a bed of lettuce and shredded carrots with thai sweet chili sauce.

drop rings into rolling boiling water for 40 seconds, strain out and shock in icewater.
serve over mesculun salad, tossed in italian viniagrette with diced red peppers, red onions, and celery.

make a good, basic, garlic and basil tomato sauce. heat until bubbling, then turn off heat. add a pinch or three of hot red pepper flakes.
toss squid in sauce. wait 5 minutes, stir, serve over pasta.

Last edited:
awesome in a paella or a chowder. (very last minute...a minute before you serve and they will be tender)

Thai

Local Thai restuarant offers instead of beef, chicken or shrimp in most dishes. :chef:

While I also use them in Asian stirfries, my favorite way will always be in a nice spicy pasta sauce. I particularly like this with the squid tentacles included. Luckily, we have a couple of markets around here that carry frozen cleaned tiny whole baby squid. They're marvelous!

I usually just marinate for a few minutes in some crushed garlic, salt, pepper and olive oil, before giving a quick pan fry and serving with Greek salad and aioli.

Back
Top Bottom