Too hot to mow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
drooling.... we mow SO much. And lately it has been in the 100's here!!! I guess it is good exercise, but those little bot things are kinda tempting heheheehe

img_651254_0_bae42c29069669d98b9ea2c7ab0d1699.jpg

img_651254_1_a567aa248176cd300d45828fb346e627.jpg

my property line is clear back to that satellite! It is 2 city lots.

img_651254_2_669dc0dd3a0c481bc0a846028dab037b.jpg

Shannon, sounds like the yard I have to mow. I'm not sure how much square footage we have, but, it takes over three hours to mow, and that's with a self-propelled push mower. I'd love to have one of those ZTR-type mowers. I just can't afford it, or transport it out here, as I don't have a truck.

yeah, our lot is 75 wide by 350 long. It was the main selling point of the house because we spend SO much time outside. Over the next few years a lot of it will be flowerbeds, a MUCH bigger garden, strawberry patch, etc. It also takes us 3-4 hours to mow with a self-propel mower. I know it is great exercise, and my 11 yo loves to mow... so far LOL!!

Shannon, sounds like the yard I have to mow. I'm not sure how much square footage we have, but, it takes over three hours to mow, and that's with a self-propelled push mower. I'd love to have one of those ZTR-type mowers. I just can't afford it, or transport it out here, as I don't have a truck.

We have 5 acres I was mowing with a self-propelled...
Gave up on 2 of them for ahwile!
I loved it but it took 3 days....
Got a tractor again a few weeks ago, got everything mowed including the ignored 2 acres (DH now decides he can mow by the way) and he broke a wheelie thing on it 2 days later!
Need an extra $50 to fix it.
Back to my pushmower, glad its been dry!

I will never understand the attraction of a huge yard that has to be mowed. I would much rather have flower gardens, water features, veggie gardens, patios, firepits, etc.
One thing that kills me is all the water wasted on these yards during the summer trying to force them out of hibernation just so they can be green. Very unhealthy for the lawn and a huge waste of resources.

They have contraptions like that that will vacuum your floors as well. Just sit back, hang onto the remote and watch as your floor becomes clean. DH works on that type of software, only it's for tractors, mining trucks, and air force targets. It's pretty cool stuff!

We don't water Mav... only my flowers and veggies. It's a waste of water to try to keep this place green. I will someday have stuff everywhere but right now I'm to busy and they all get picked and stomped anyway!!!
The space is for running and racing motorized toys on. :)
Oh, and gotta have a fire pit for sure!

I will never understand the attraction of a huge yard that has to be mowed. I would much rather have flower gardens, water features, veggie gardens, patios, firepits, etc.
One thing that kills me is all the water wasted on these yards during the summer trying to force them out of hibernation just so they can be green. Very unhealthy for the lawn and a huge waste of resources.

I never water the *yard* , actually it is more of a field or meadow. Hubby mows a small part of it near the house.

We don't water Mav... only my flowers and veggies. It's a waste of water to try to keep this place green. I will someday have stuff everywhere but right now I'm to busy and they all get picked and stomped anyway!!!
The space is for running and racing motorized toys on. :)
Oh, and gotta have a fire pit for sure!

Sorry Suzi, I was referring to the yards around here. They don't naturally stay green during the summer, only during the Spring and Fall. So people spend several days a week watering them trying to turn them green again. Recently we had to place restrictions on this as it was eating up too much of our water reserve.
Our native garden, on the other hand, is green flowers and blooms all year round without us adding a single drop of water. The veggie, herb, and spice gardens as well as the few pots I have for accents do have to be watered but most of that water comes from the rain barrel so we don't have to worry about restrictions or wait for a watering day.
I know there are different types of grasses, and ours in Iowa when I was growing up stayed green all summer long without adding water, so I think they all just pick the wrong grass for our climate here.

No harm done Mav it's all good, I knew you weren't pickin' on me....
:)

I have 2 acres, and I used to mow most of it with my lawn tractor. Since I heard that running a mower for an hour produces as much pollution as driving a car 350 miles (because the tractor motor is so inefficient and has no cat. converter) I have abandoned the back half of the property. I will probably mow a couple times a summer, just to keep the weeds down.

When I retire, I might get some goats to do my mowing for me!

heheeh, I have too considered some goats. But, I live in the city, not sure that would be permitted haha! But, they are soooo cute haha!

I have 2 acres, and I used to mow most of it with my lawn tractor. Since I heard that running a mower for an hour produces as much pollution as driving a car 350 miles (because the tractor motor is so inefficient and has no cat. converter) I have abandoned the back half of the property. I will probably mow a couple times a summer, just to keep the weeds down.

When I retire, I might get some goats to do my mowing for me!

Back
Top Bottom