Sandwich bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frgsonmysox

Assistant Cook
Whats your favorite sandwich bread recipe? I've tried a bunch but I still haven't found the perfect one. The last one I tried the bread kept crumbling when cut. I need to make more bread today so I figured I'd try a recipe that you guys love :)

I've never met a bread I didn't like!

But I don't bake it much so I can't help. Sorry!

I like your screen name a bunch though.

I bake by hand. Yeast doesn't bother me at all. I want a really nice bread that is more store quality sandwich bread. My husband misses the store bread so I want something that will make him happy, but I want to use at least part wheat flour. Right now the bread tastes great, but it is way too crumbly.

oh, by hand meaning I don't have a bread machine. So I would need to do it in an oven :)

Thanks, I like my screen name too. I never have to compete with anyone for it!

Here's a great recipe for sandwich bread, and I also use it for hot dog and hamburger rolls. This is not copyright so it's ok to print here. Never made it with any wheat flour.

Basic White Bread Recipe
For KitchenAid Stand Mixer

Ingredients:

1/2C (4 oz.) milk
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast or 2 teaspoons Instant Yeast (.34 oz.)
1 1/2 C (12 oz.) warm water (105F to 110F)
5-6 C (1# 13 oz.) Unbleached bread flour

Directions:

1. Combine milk, sugar, salt, and butter in small saucepan. Heat over low heat and stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm (less than 110 F).
2. If using active dry yeast, dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed bowl and let stand for 10 minutes. If using Instant Yeast, just add it to the flour and mix it in before adding liquids.
3. Add lukewarm milk mixture and water to 4 1/2 C (1# 6 oz.) flour. Attach bowl and dough hook. Turn to speed 2 and mix 1 minute. Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 C (2.5 oz.) at a time (slowly so it doesn’t fly out of bowl), until dough clings to hook and cleans side of bowl. Knead on speed 2 for 2 minutes longer, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch.
4. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about an hour.
5. Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf and place in a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
6. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.

For Hamburger and hot dog buns, divide the dough into 2-1/2 oz portions and shape into a ball. Allow to rest for 5 minutes and then flatten with the heel of your hand and place on cookie sheet dusted with cornmeal. Allow about 1” between rolls for expansion/proofing. For hot dog buns, shape into about 5-6” long tubes with seam down. Brush with whipped egg white/water mix and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake at 400° F for 12-14 minutes or until 200° F.

I have a recipe that uses instant potato flakes and makes a wonderful sandwich bread. I use it a lot for rolls or buns for sandwiches instead of a loaf. I am going to give you the amts for a 1 and half lb loaf, I also have amts for a smaller and a larger one if interested. Ingredients are: 1 1/4c water; 3T butter; 2 1/2T sugar; 1t salt; 2T potato flakes; 3c flour(I use bread flour but all purpose works); 1 1/2t rapid/quick/instant yeast. Directions: Melt butter in warm water. Mix other ingrd. and add water/butter, stirring until all mixed.Turn out on floured surface. Knead until you have a smooth, elastic ball, may be 10 min. or so by hand. Cover and let rise until doubled. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and form loaf. Place in loaf pan, cover and let rise to about doubled again. Bake in 350 oven till nicely browned and sounds hollow when thumped, 20-30 min, depending on your oven. For hamburger rolls, I do the above but form into balls then flatten to disk shape that I have weighed to about 3 oz on a kitchen scale. I have exchanged some of the white flour for whole wheat but wouldn't do more than 1/4 to 1/2 the amount. I know these directions are brief, but you sound like you have been making bread so have an idea of how things go.

I bake by hand. Yeast doesn't bother me at all. I want a really nice bread that is more store quality sandwich bread. My husband misses the store bread so I want something that will make him happy, but I want to use at least part wheat flour. Right now the bread tastes great, but it is way too crumbly.

i finally found the post i was looking for to help you. knight76 posted the easiest white bread i have seen. it is in thread "first ever bread bake. post #1.

i made it and it is a lovely loaf of bread. i made sandwiches out of it and toasted some for breakfast, slices like a dream. makes very large loaf so i am thinking of making two loaves out of the dough. going to freeze one loaf. i am doing this since i only feed myself. the large loaf goes bad before i can eat it all.
.:chef:you should really enjoy this bread.

babe:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom