First time making clam chowder, any advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While some people may or may not agree with me on this. I always add some dill weed to my clam chowder when I am cooking it. It makes the entire kitchen smell like dill but it only adds just a little hint of dill into the chowder. Just gives it that extra Oomph that I look for.

It certainly isn't wrong if that's what you like - I can understand the dill. I also like some chives sometimes in mine. Some wouldn't agree but it's my mouth and if I like it I'm going to add it. A recipe is not the "law" - it's a guideline.

LEFSE - I think you lost your mind here and need to come back and get it - I'm holding it hostage in my kitchen!!!!! I'm getting ready to shake this "seasoning blend" on it!!!!!! :LOL:

took my sorry mind upstairs and read page 78-79 of FF.
just as I figured it'd be, it was plain, basic and probably perfect.
and in my next life, I may, just may prepare it that way.:-p but doubt it:LOL:

Looks like this recipe of a local place that was once here in Utah. Brattens Famous Clam Chowder Recipe | Recipezaar

I have tried this and it isnt bad. I used only 1/2 the amount of half & half and substituted the rest with 2% milk and I added an extra can of clams. I also cut back the onions by half as well.

I am still looking for a great clam chowder recipe.

Next couple recipes I try out this fall will be with fresh (as fresh as I can get in Utah) clams.

We had a "back-door cold front" move through a few days ago, and Monday never made it into the 80's, which is weird for OK in August. PeppA, my other half, started begging me to make clam chowder. I broke down, went and bought the ingredients, and made a batch. Boy, it was good!

Here's my recipe. I've posted it a few times before, but I figured this is a more recent thread, so here goes:

Big Al's Wicked Good Clam Chowder
Yields: 1 ½ gal

A couple other tips: Cut the bacon last. This lessens the chance of any cross-contamination from the bacon to other things. Also, I find it easier to chop bacon like this when it's frozen. I’ve also found that a product labeled “Ends and Pieces”, produced by Wright’s, is about the best buy on bacon for this purpose. Cheap and high quality can’t be beat. And lastly, don't add any salt until the very end, and taste it first! Then, if it needs salt, add a little. Remember that you are using salt-cured bacon, and salt water shellfish, so there will be plenty of salt in the chowder without needing any more.

8 slices thick sliced bacon, diced fine
1 ½ large onion, diced
1 ½ c celery, diced
1 ½ t Old Bay Seasoning, optional
½ t ground black pepper
1 ½ t tarragon
1 ½ t thyme
1 ½ t garlic, minced
2 # sized potatoes, peeled, and cubed into half inch cubes
33 oz (total) canned chopped sea clams with the juice (around here, that's about 6 cans)
2 8 oz bottles of Clam Juice
1 pt heavy cream
1 pt half and half
½ c corn starch mixed with ½ c water
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Fry the bacon in a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium-high until the bacon starts to crisp, and you see lots of color and brown bits in the pan. At this time, add the onions, celery, garlic, pepper, thyme, tarragon, and Old Bay seasoning, if desired. When the onions are translucent and slightly caramelized, add the clams, juice, and potatoes; adding a little water if needed to cover the potatoes. Simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cream, half-and-half, and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch/water slurry and bring back to a boil to tighten the chowder. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
NOTES: This is one I don’t really recommend that you freeze for later use. The potatoes will turn mealy in texture after you thaw and reheat the soup.

A-OK, is it okay to omit the Old Bay? I know you say it's optional, hoping it wouldn't make that big a difference since I don't care for it. Tastes like too much celery salt and as KE and I discovered while shopping, its first ingredient is celery salt. I guess I could make my own version omitting the celery 'anything'.

It's your chowder. Tweak the recipe your way. I do not use Old Bay at all since it has too much salt for my taste. I would be especially careful with salt in seafood dishes, especially if using canned ingredients. You can always add salt later, you cannot take it out.

Certainly!

You'll notice that I mention the salt issue TWICE in this recipe. There is a reason for that. On top of that, I usually add crushed saltine crackers after it's made, thus adding even more salt.

I even have a formulation for a kopykat Old Bay seasoning. It wouldn't be hard to leave the celery salt or regular salt out of that formulation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom