Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Health, Nutrition and Special Diets (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   How do I GAIN weight without jepordizing my health? (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f12/how-do-i-gain-weight-without-jepordizing-my-health-48665.html)

Buble 07-28-2008 04:36 PM

How do I GAIN weight without jepordizing my health?
 
Hi all

I am going to be finishing University in a little over a year and a half and my intention is to work for the RCMP as a computer forensics, or cyber-crime, officer. This would be a nice, safe, office job where I get to put away the baddies but the problem is I have to pass the standard RCMP officer test to get the job.

I am very athletic, and in good shape. But, as it stands right now, I would not be able to meet the weight requirements for the job. I am 6"2, nearly 6"3 and only 140lbs. I need 20lbs to squeak by the weight requirement. No thyroid problems, my doctor tells me I am in tip-top health.

I really don't have time between school and my weekend job to lift weights, although as the date approaches I will have to make time if I still am under the requirement, so I was wondering what dietary changes I could make. Like switching from 2% to whole milk, for example.

As it stands right now I do not:
Drink
Smoke
Use drugs
Eat sweets (on occasion I'll have a soda)

My only vice is caffeine, which is a tea once, maybe twice, a day at 21MG of caffeine.

Fire away guys :wink:

Uncle Bob 07-28-2008 04:47 PM

Eat more (larger portions) of non-junk/empty calorie foods....

Buble 07-28-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bob (Post 653933)
Eat more (larger portions) of non-junk/empty calorie foods....

Sorry I should have added, I eat a lot. My girlfriends parents take bets on me at dinner to see how many plates I am going to eat, that makes me feel like a circus freak :sad:

My caloric intake is anywhere from 1800 - 2300 a day.

texasgirl 07-28-2008 04:56 PM

Get some Ensure drinks. They are full of vitamins also. This is what they put my son on to gain weight when he was little.

Uncle Bob 07-28-2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buble (Post 653936)
Sorry I should have added, I eat a lot. My girlfriends parents take bets on me at dinner to see how many plates I am going to eat, that makes me feel like a circus freak :sad:

My caloric intake is anywhere from 1800 - 2300 a day.

Eat 3000-3500 per day! If you increase you caloric intake to more than you burn....you will gain weight!!

Book um Dano!

Have Fun!!!

Buble 07-28-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bob (Post 653941)
Eat 3000-3500 per day! If you increase you caloric intake to more than you burn....you will gain weight!!

Book um Dano!

Have Fun!!!

How? What foods are good for me but high enough in calories that I can do this?

Peanuts and sunflower seeds are too examples I can think of.

miniman 07-28-2008 05:39 PM

Bananas, avacados. There is also the foods you get went doing major hiking with healthy high calorie foods to give the energy.

You could go and see a dietician who could give you professional advvice.

GotGarlic 07-28-2008 06:01 PM

Cheese has lots of protein and calcium, and low-fat options are available. Uncle Bob has the right idea, though - eat more of what you're already eating.

Jeekinz 07-28-2008 06:34 PM

I was very thin when I was younger. Had a metabolism like a well oiled machine. How old are you? I was into weight lifting for a while. I drank 3000 calorie shakes twice a day WITH regular meals.....didn't gain a pound. I almost got into steroids at that point.

Muscle weighs more than fat, so maybe lift more weights to gain the weight. Meat and potatoes.

If you're in good shape, that might get you through. They may be more worried about overweight applicants.

MostlyWater 07-28-2008 06:46 PM

Buble, you may want to reword your post. Everyone has a thyroid, well unless they've had it removed.

Michael in FtW 07-28-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MostlyWater (Post 653986)
Buble, you may want to reword your post. Everyone has a thyroid, well unless they've had it removed.

Actually, MW - I believe Buble said that he had "No thyroid problems" - not that he didn't have a thyroid.

GB 07-28-2008 07:26 PM

I feel your pain. I used to be in a similar situation. No matter what I did I could not gain weight. It was not for a matter or not eating. I ate a lot and often fatty foods. My friends used to find it funny. It was almost a challenge to see how much fatty foods I could eat while not gaining a pound. I just had a very high metabolism.

That changed with time. I am now much heavier than I would like to be and am working on getting rid of some weight.

My point is that you may have a very high metabolism so eating may not be the answer. Weight lifting or something like that to bulk up might be more in order.

roadfix 07-28-2008 08:15 PM

You can eat all you want and you're not going to gain an ounce. Have you considered weight training? That will build muscle mass and add bulk. This will increase your food intake naturally.

Buble 07-28-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeekinz (Post 653981)
I was very thin when I was younger. Had a metabolism like a well oiled machine. How old are you? I was into weight lifting for a while. I drank 3000 calorie shakes twice a day WITH regular meals.....didn't gain a pound. I almost got into steroids at that point.

Muscle weighs more than fat, so maybe lift more weights to gain the weight. Meat and potatoes.

If you're in good shape, that might get you through. They may be more worried about overweight applicants.

I'm 22, but I've been this weight for about five years now, only losing or gaining weight when I had a flu or something.

I often bike ride upwards to twenty miles without a break, my fitness is not in question in that regards, but the recruiter I spoke to told me they are quite stringent with their weight requirements.

I'll begin weight training while completing my Masters, but in the mean time I am going to try to get my calorie intake up.

I'm going tomorrow to buy some bananas and avocados, what else should I be on the look out for?

babetoo 07-28-2008 09:11 PM

all things chocolate, lol

babe:chef:

janetGood 07-28-2008 09:44 PM

Eat an extra snack before bed, cheese and crackers, nachoes, doughnuts and chocolate milk, whatever you like that is fatening.

Anau 07-28-2008 10:08 PM

I'm 21 and in a similar situation. I actually LOST a few pounds coming to college. I heard you should avoid too much cardio and focus on weight training. Also I've been eating larger portions of meat with the usual portions of veggies.

attie 07-28-2008 11:27 PM

They say you can't fatten a thoroughbred, I sure wished I had that problem. Some people can eat mountains of food and not put weight on so I guess you must be one of those

Jeekinz 07-29-2008 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buble (Post 654044)
I'm 22, but I've been this weight for about five years now, only losing or gaining weight when I had a flu or something.

I often bike ride upwards to twenty miles without a break, my fitness is not in question in that regards, but the recruiter I spoke to told me they are quite stringent with their weight requirements.

I'll begin weight training while completing my Masters, but in the mean time I am going to try to get my calorie intake up.

I'm going tomorrow to buy some bananas and avocados, what else should I be on the look out for?

Get those shakes from GNC.

Lizannd 07-29-2008 08:03 AM

If you are consuming 1800 to 2300 calories a day you
 
are not EATING A LOT. You are on a weight loss diet for someone who is almost 6'3" and athletic. And you bike 20 miles at a time on 1800 calories a day? Stop dieting and you will gain weight. (I'm having a hard time taking you seriously)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.