Stubborn 1 yr old!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ah... but if you make frosting right, from scratch.... I'll save it for last and pig out!
:)

Neah, can't stand it. Even as a kid a did not like it. The cake shouold be great with out any frosting, then I know it is a gook cake.

My dd use to LOVE veggies, she ate everything, broccoli, spinach,carrots everything....but now....she will not go NEAR veggies! The only time she will eat them is when they are in a soup! (I don't want to just give her soup everyday) I have no idea why. Its not that they are softer because I have tried over cooking different veggies to make them very tender for her but she just will not have it!
Does anyone have any veggie dishes that might get her into veggies again?? The only sorce of vegies she gets these days is the fruit juices that have vegetables in them(V8).

She's the same way with fresh fruit but I have many ways around that i.e smoothies, yougurt, fruit bars, 100% juice ect...

Please HELP ME with my strong willed daughter!?!?:unsure::wacko:

A friend of mine actually hides veggies in her shakes as well as fruit. She loves to put kale in them and her kids never know. You can also puree things like squash or carrots and hide them in mac n cheese.

And try this link:
How to get your child to eat green veggies
Smoothie Recipies

oh she doesn't have to be on it, it just kinda happened. When she was a baby I had to take her off breast milk because we thought she might be lactose intolerant, while we were testing it I had her on Soy formula because the doctor said it was a bit gentler. This was for about a week and then I just stayed with soy formula because I dried up...sorry guys...when she was older I tried to switch over to whole milk so she could have the fat from it for development...she would not drink it! I even tried mixing the soy a whole milk to get her use to it slowly...she could always taste the difference! Mind you this was still the soy formula, it was getting way too expensive and she drank sooo much so after having to throw away a gallon of milk away two different times I tried the unsweeted soy in a carton...she chugged it! And its been that way since. I even accidentally bought the plain soy once instead of unsweetened....she wouldn't touch it.
I figured now because she is older if I need to I can just cut her off and depend on other sorces for calcium until I can get her into milk but thats if I need to....
the controversy was that soy gives the children extra hormones that cause them to enter into puberty earlier or develop too quickly....??Has anyone heard this?

I haven't heard that, but I wasn't listening either.... :)
They say the same of cow milk and hormone issues sometimes but I guess I don't worry about much.
Mine didn't switch from regular formula to regular milk very fast, but keep trying. They take lots and lots of time to accept change in anything.

oh she doesn't have to be on it, it just kinda happened. When she was a baby I had to take her off breast milk because we thought she might be lactose intolerant, while we were testing it I had her on Soy formula because the doctor said it was a bit gentler.

My daughter did great on breast milk, but she had top and bottom teeth by the time she was 9 months old, and I decided that enough was enough.
The doctor said to wean her to a cup, as she never liked bottles, and that worked fine. But she ended up being allergic to cow's milk, and broke out in terrible hives! The doctor put her on soy formula, which she drank out of a cup, but she really didn't like it, and has never liked cow's milk either. She does, however, love cheese and ice cream.

By the way, my baby is 36 now, so I'm sure they have better stuff now than they did then.

they have in even in chocolate now...although I never dared introduce her to that in fear of her not wanting plain ever again! She didn't even have any juice until about the age of 15 months! Figured I'd wait as long as I could since she loved water so much!

deelady, you have got some good advice from others. I would just keep making the veggies available. She will most likely suddenly change her mind and decide that she likes them again.

There are several ways that you can add extra veggies into things and make disappear. Jessica Seinfeld has a cookbook out on this topic "Deceptively Delicious". While I personally have not tried anything out of it, I know alot of mommies that have and have had pretty good luck with it.

Wraps made with cream cheese, meats, cheese and shredded carrots, zucchini and baby spinach are popular at our house. I take the tortilla, spread it with some cream cheese, cover with a single layer of baby spinch leaves, top with shredded carrots and zucchini, meats and cheeses. Roll up tightly in plastic wrap. Chill for 4 hours before eating. The veggies just kind of melt together and my kids (5 and 2) LOVE them.

MMmmmmm pretty blue eyes I love that idea FOR ME!! My DD does love tortilla wraps but I never thought to try to hide veggies in them.....I'll give it a try thanks.
And mama those carrots sound yummy but I really don't think she would go for them, unlike most kids my rascal isn't a big fan of sweetened stuff, shes more of a savory girl. But I will be keeping that recipe for other uses thank you....and I have never told you but I love your recipe sight! I even made your sausage and gravy last week, it was very good except I made the mistake and used ground pork instead of sausage meat so I had to add extra seasoning but I will def be making it again plus more from your sight! Thank you!

I'm glad you like my website! I've enjoyed building it. My kids are glad...now when they call most of the time we just get to talk instead of me hearing...MamahowdoI?

Yeah, you need to use a good quality sausage when making the gravy. i prefer Tennessee Pride or Rudys Farm. I'm not real keen on Jimmy Dean...a little too greasy.

stew is similar to soup and maybe a pot pie (simple bought crust over your stew) or make biscuits for the crust. would that work?

Sauce for pasta can have lots of veggies pureed if need be ...onion garlic carrots celery.

How about mashed potatoes? are those eaten? if so you can mash some rutabaga (golden turnip) in with them...really good btw...and just say two different colors of potato, or use the gold potatoes. Peas and potato, cabage and potato, cauliflower and potato. Sheppard's pie ... peas carrots celery with the ground meat and a potato crust in which you can add the above. we always loved it as kids ... still do!

I've never tried pot pies with her, I don't know why because I use to always buy those (Marie Calendars is pretty decent).
I also just saw a recipe for a pasta sauce yesterday in a Toddle magazine that hides carrots and zuccini....some of the most simplest solutions had completely escaped me! Although I'm not too surprised because often with my DD its hard to even hear myself think! :wacko:
As far as the other suggestions Robo, they sound delishious to me but wouldn't fly with her highness...I think she also has a little bit of texture issues (like her dad) she has always snubbed her nose at potatoes of any kind mostly mashed (she occasionally will venture with a french fry, but not sweet potato).
Side thought* it really amazes me how traits really do seem to be inherited, like I mentioned the issue of dislike with certain textures like her dad, he never speaks on it yet they share the same dislikes! He is often out of the country for his job so I know hes not influencing her! Interesting.....

You guys have really given me great ideas, I knew by asking I would quickly be put on the right track! Thanks!:D

guess what my DD is now a major fan of spinache omeletts, she almost ate a whole 3 egg omelette all by herself!:ohmy::ohmy::pig:

deelady, don't fret about the little one not eating veggies right now. All kids go through stages and alot of the time it has to do with the developing body. The kids do go through changes in their ability to taste different things and smell different things so as these senses become more discerning you will see a change in what they like to eat. Don't get hooked into thinking she needs to have x amount of each food group each day. Look at her diet over the course of two weeks and you will see that she really is getting overall good nutrition. And remember she is only 1! She will like and dislike alot of things over the next several years. Keep offering good options and things will be fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom