Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Condiments (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f83/)
-   -   Bitter olive oil (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f83/bitter-olive-oil-48756.html)

LadyCook61 07-30-2008 11:08 PM

Bitter olive oil
 
I bought De Cecco extra virgin olive oil and to me it left a bitter taste .:ermm:
I thought this was a quality oil. I am disappointed in it.

Maverick2272 07-30-2008 11:12 PM

Take it back and ask for a replacement. If it still tastes the same way, then you know its the brand and won't buy it again.

quicksilver 07-31-2008 06:48 AM

Don't eat it. It could be rancid. Do as brother Mav said.

Adillo303 07-31-2008 08:48 AM

I have a bottle of De Cecco and it dosen't tast bitter. May be a bad bottle.

AC

GB 07-31-2008 08:56 AM

Some olive oils are bitter. Others are more mild. Each oil has its own characteristics and those can change from harvest to harvest (just like wine). A bottle of De Cecco from this years harvest could taste very different from a bottle from last years.

LadyCook61 07-31-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB (Post 655886)
Some olive oils are bitter. Others are more mild. Each oil has its own characteristics and those can change from harvest to harvest (just like wine). A bottle of De Cecco from this years harvest could taste very different from a bottle from last years.

I did some research, there is a brand that is non bitter so I might order it online.

kitchenelf 07-31-2008 11:26 AM

I can't really add anything except to say that EVOO's can be tricky, at best. I have never been a huge fan of them but I finally found one I like. Here is the website. He is a friend of mine but his olive oil is still the best!!!

I understand that bitter taste completely though!

JillBurgh 07-31-2008 11:32 AM

Maybe it has white pepper in it?! Ha just kidding

Sorry you got a bad oil. I agree that you should switch it like Mav says.

ironchef 07-31-2008 02:51 PM

Also, even good and great quality olive oils can develop bitterness if they are blended with a stand or immersion blender. If you're going to incorporate it in something like a salad dressing, it's usually better to whisk it in.

LadyCook61 07-31-2008 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironchef (Post 656224)
Also, even good and great quality olive oils can develop bitterness if they are blended with a stand or immersion blender. If you're going to incorporate it in something like a salad dressing, it's usually better to whisk it in.

I hadn't even used it , only did a taste test. I returned the bottle and got a refund.

GB 07-31-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironchef (Post 656224)
Also, even good and great quality olive oils can develop bitterness if they are blended with a stand or immersion blender. If you're going to incorporate it in something like a salad dressing, it's usually better to whisk it in.

That is really interesting. i had never heard that before. Do you know the reason it happens?

ironchef 07-31-2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB (Post 656245)
That is really interesting. i had never heard that before. Do you know the reason it happens?

I'm not too sure; there's no scientific explanation for it, but it does happen. Multiple chefs that I have worked under preached this and I have found this out many times through trial and error. It could be that the oil + another ingredient (I'm thinking it's mainly garlic) produces that bitterness when they are pureed together. It's not just the garlic itself because the same recipe using something like canola or grapeseed oil does not yield the same bitterness.

GB 08-01-2008 07:33 AM

That IC. That is really interesting.

ironchef 08-01-2008 03:20 PM

I think it also has to do something with maybe either the heat from the blades, or the agitation that it causes. Because if you puree the base without the oil, and then whisk the oil in later, you won't get that bitterness.

LadyCook61 08-01-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironchef (Post 656937)
I think it also has to do something with maybe either the heat from the blades, or the agitation that it causes. Because if you puree the base without the oil, and then whisk the oil in later, you won't get that bitterness.

Good to know , thanks for sharing that information.

black chef 08-02-2008 12:27 AM

i use frantoia, zoe, lucini, and a greek brand called pegasus.

i like my olive oils to taste smooth & buttery with a slight almond taste and a MILD peppery finish.

of the brands i listed above, the frantoia is consistently "consistent."

the pegasus brand is suprisingly good for 1/3rd the cost of the frantoia.

LadyCook61 08-02-2008 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black chef (Post 657186)
i use frantoia, zoe, lucini, and a greek brand called pegasus.

i like my olive oils to taste smooth & buttery with a slight almond taste and a MILD peppery finish.

of the brands i listed above, the frantoia is consistently "consistent."

the pegasus brand is suprisingly good for 1/3rd the cost of the frantoia.

thanks for the information, I will check into it.

Callisto in NC 08-04-2008 11:16 AM

This is an interesting thread. I must have been buying the wrong brands all these years because I hate olive oil. Maybe the suggestions above will prove to improve my thoughts on olive oil.

GB 08-04-2008 11:33 AM

Callisto, there are so many different olive oils and they each taste different. It is just like wine. Some are sweeter than others and some are more dry (wines that is). Try a number of different types and you will probably find one you like.

LadyCook61 08-04-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black chef (Post 657186)
i use frantoia, zoe, lucini, and a greek brand called pegasus.

i like my olive oils to taste smooth & buttery with a slight almond taste and a MILD peppery finish.

of the brands i listed above, the frantoia is consistently "consistent."

the pegasus brand is suprisingly good for 1/3rd the cost of the frantoia.

I checked Wegman's store, they had the Lucini , so I bought that one. I like the oil , thanks for the suggestions.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.