Escolar - Can I Have An Oily Discharge Please? Lol!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Actually, I meant the title to say "Can I have it WITHOUT the oily discharge please" - lol!!!!

So last night we went to our favorite sushi place for our 19-year anniversary dinner. Started out with Miso soup followed by some lovely little shrimp dumplings served in tiny little individual bamboo steamers - very cute. Then had the tremendous "Love Boat for Two", consisting of 35 pieces of sushi & sashimi served on a large wooden sampan (complete with little sails & fishnets) beautifully decorated with carved oranges & lemons, & fresh green Shiso/Perilla leaves. Very intricate & breathtaking presentation. As usual, the freshness & preparation of the fish was above & beyond the norm. Finished the meal with a complementary dessert of cheesecake(??) accompanied by little balls of red bean ice cream stuffed into dumpling skins & served in a Martini glass.

Anyway, the owner stopped by to chat, as usual (he's a terrfic guy), & I casually mentioned that while I was able to pick out the Red Snapper & Yellowtail out of the white fish selections, one particularly delicious one had me stymied. The owner called it "white tuna", & was pleased that we liked it. Said he & his brother really like it, but most people don't. I remembered reading about the term "white tuna" somewhere, but couldn't exactly put my finger on it until I got home & could look it up (after I made a rather explosive trip to the bathroom - lol!). Sure enough, I was right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escolar

So an interesting intestinal evening was enjoyed by all - lol - & this morning dear hubby was still feeling a little "green around the gills". He still loves this particular restaurant, & the fish IS super fresh, but I think next time around he'll be asking for "no 'white tuna'" - lol! I find it particularly funny that Escolar has been banned in Japan - home of the fatally poisonous Fugu pufferfish - since 1977.

Actually, I have to say that except for my one - ahem - "explosive" bathroom episode (which could easily be related to my normal IBS problems), I felt fine. Also have to admit that the Escolar (I mean, 'white tuna" - lol) was my favorite of the entire platter, so I had most of it. From what I understand, some folks are more sensitive to it than others, so I'm guessing that I'm not one of them since I'd think my already-compromised system would have gone ballistic, which it really didn't.

What made me remember the "white tuna" was a blurb in the news several months ago re: some elderly guy down in Florida who had it grilled in a restaurant, got really sick, & (of course) sued the place. After that, Escolar hit the news re: it's "specialness" - lol! I've never had it cooked, but still have to admit that it does make **** good sushi/sashimi. Frankly, I'd have it again & take my chances - it was that good. Tasted like butter - which is probably why it does what it does. I can probably safely say that dear husband won't be following my lead though - lol!

May we have another 19 years please? Lol!!

I have had the same results and found it odd at first. At the sushi place I get it, they refer to it as Super White. It is by far one of my favorite sushi offerings.

They lightly char the outside of the meat using a torch, and then it is served with ponzu sauce. The first few times I had it, I had the same experience... not the explosion, but the other problem. Never felt bad and it only happened when I ate superwhite. I have had superwhite recently and have not had that issue.

I guess it is good to know what was causing that. I even went to the doctor about it and he told me to stop eating sushi! I was like whaaaaaaat??

Consider me cavewoman, as I never heard of it.
Good thing too with my IBS! But will look out for it, now that I know. I don't mind the ...uh...financing Charmin, but can't take the cramps.
Thanks for the info. And the laugh.
What a funny thread title!
What a s_#ty topic. LOL!:LOL::rolleyes:

I have IBS too & was surprised that except for my - ahem - needing to use extraordinary amounts of Charmin that one time shortly after arriving home, nothing else happened. I'm thinking that I can't be terribly sensitive to it if that's all that occurred.

And I do have to reiterate that it did make for fabulous sushi & sashimi.

Here it is 2011, and I ate the fish last night at a favorite upscale fish restaurant. It is a wonderful fish, and I had at most minor issues. I will some time in the future do so again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom