Olive Oil "Mayo" Spinoff - Hellmann's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Okay guys, Hellmann's fan that I am, I already had an unopened jar of the "real thing" in the cupboard. But dear hubby, health guru that he is, just today picked up a jar of Hellmann's new product with "Extra Virgin Olive Oil".

First off - labeling & ingredients:

Hellmann's "REAL mayonnaise" "naturally rich in Omega3. Ingredients: Soybean oil, water, whole eggs and egg yolks, vinegar, salt, sugar, lemon juice, natural flavors, caldium disodium edta (used to protect quality). Gluten-free.

Hellmann's "With Extra-Virgin Olive Oil Mayonnaise Dressing". (Notice how they don't call it mayonnaise - it's mayonnaise "dressing"). "Made With Bertolli olive oil". Ingredients: Water, Oils (soybean oil, extra virgin olive oil), venigar, whole eggs and egg yolks, modified corn starch, sugar, salt, lemon juice (sorbic acid, calcium disodium edta) used to protect quality, xanthan gum, citric acid, natural flavors, oleoresin paprika, beta carotene (color). (and, this is sort of strange) - Ingredients not in mayonnaise gluten-free (???).

Anyway, for whatever reason, looks like the Hellmann's with "extra-virgin olive olive" has a lot of crap in it that I don't need.

But - for the purposes of culinary science :LOL:, the very next time I need mayo, I'll be cracking open both jars (regular Hellmann's & olive oil Hellmann's) & will report back here accordingly.

Your Hellmann's mayo reporter, signing off. . . .

If you read the ingredients for many low fat or light mayonnaise type derssings, that's the kind of ingredient list you see. Water's being the first ingredient is your first clue that something is awry. I find the statement about, "Ingredients not normally found in mayonnaise", amusing.

Okay - cracked open the jar of Hellmann's 'Extra-Virgin Olive Oil' Mayo last night, & didn't like it at all. Didn't even need to crack open a jar of regular mayo to compare it to.

There was absolutely no scent or taste of extra-virgin olive oil to this, and, as Andy M. predicted, what taste there was was of the decidedly 'funny' type of low-fat & no-fat mayos, which is why I never buy them.

I'll be sticking to my regular Hellmann's from now on. And I suggest that unless you like the odd sweetish taste of low-fat/no-fat mayo, don't waste your money on this.

Thanks for the review, Breezy!

The packaging looks appealing enough, as does the idea of of it. But I've always put it back on the shelf, hoping someone else would try it first and let me know. :)

I do use Hellman's Light, but my heart belongs to Hellman's original.

Lee

I tried Hellman's Light Mayo and it just isn't the same. It has very little flavor and it was strange at that. I didn't realize til now that mayo has soybean oil in it. Never bothered to look at the ingredients. I can't eat any soy products, having had breast cancer, so now it looks like I'm going to have to join the ranks of the "make my own mayo" crowd. I should pay closer attention to the labels.

I think the company was thinking consumers will see "olive oil" abd grab it becuase they think it will be healthier for them.

my mom is one of those people who dont read labels or even the the whole front main label.

she wanted to buy sugar free fudgsicles yeah she as usual wasnt paying attnetion and bought no sugar added......

The wife like original hellemans.

Im not of a mayo person

I had olive oil based mayonaisse for the first time some forty years ago in Livorno Italy. I was a little leery of trying it because of it's green color but was fortunate to be dining with an Italian who told me not to worry about the greenish tint. While I'm not crazy about Hellman's variety of olive oil mayonnaise 'sauce' I'd love to make olive oil based mayonaisse if the quality of many American eggs were not suspect. Many Americans may think we're so much better than the rest of the world, but I remember clearly when Italian immmigrants in my old neighborhood had to be warned that American pork couldn't be cooked like Italian pork because of the trichnines.

I use the Hellmann's light mayo because my doc is all over me for cholesterol. Regardless my preference lies with Hellmanns alone. I'm not fond of any of the alternatives of any brand.

Breezy I am completely with you, I just had it for the first time and was not impressed at all. It is ok enough that I will not throw it away but I will not hesitate to buy the good ol TNT regular next time! I didn't buy it for any health reasons but I was hoping for the flavor to be a bit nicer than it was:(Oh well, never know till you try it, I just wish they had given out samples first instead of having this big ol jar of it...:ermm:

Oh, Breezy - I understand how you might feel betrayed by a trusted friend like Hellman. There is a difference between Hellman's Real Mayonaise and Hellmann's Mayonnaise Dressing With Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or their Dijonnaise Mustard. They are no more real mayo, or mustard, than Miracle Whip!

I know - sniff, sniff. For some reason I just thought it would taste like regular mayo but with a little bit of fragrant olive-oil "oomph". Instead, as you said, I got little more than "Miracle Whip". It's not God-awful or anything - just not to my taste. Luckily I've already managed to use up 1/2 the jar in some highly-seasoned baked fish dishes & in a fair number of BLT's due to the influx of late garden tomatoes. Will soon be able to go back to my trusted basic friend - lol!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom