Country Fairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
Anyone going to a fair this year ? I haven't been to the fair in years. One I used to attend was the West End Fair in west end of the poconos and they usually have fireworks the first night they open. Another I attended only once was Bloomsburg, Pa. The Bloomsburg one was huge, so many food stands and we didn't even eat at any of them.

We used to go to the fair every year when I was a kid in Ohio. Then I moved to "the city" in Virginia. We don't have a country fair here. We have festivals! They are not as fun. The fairs I have attended here in VA are mediocre compared to what I grew up with so we don't go. I miss it though. I used to enter some of the contests as a teen. The fine arts section had a category for collections. I got a blue ribbon the one year. I used to collect blown glass animals and made a zoo on plywood and made cages out of toothpicks. I also placed 3rd in the apple pie contest when I was 13. I was up against adults because the junior division was 12 and under. The judges were quite impressed when I went up to collect my ribbon. They didn't know I was so young and made a big deal out of it! I felt really proud! Our high school band also had a food booth there and we had to go and cook serveral days. It was always a great time!

Our fair came and went already. And yes I did go and I pet the goats, and the pigs, and the cows, and the horses. Thenn I TRIED taking them all home with me but the idiot wouldn't let me. Hmmmph

oh no...he's back to being 'the idiot'! lol.

We love the fair go every year and we start talking about all the junk food we're going to eat months before!

We have an annual county fair, which is always during the first week in August, so ours is over.

There are the usual livestock displays, needlework of all varieties, fresh fruits and veggies, decorative arts, woodworking, photography, etc. Of course, 4-H is big, so lots of entries by the members of that organization.

I spent 4 hours one afternoon "babysitting" the non-livestock displays in the exhibit building. It was a great people-watching afternoon.

Our house isn't too far from the fairgrounds, so I sat on the porch in the evenings and listened to the car/truck races and, on the final night, the demolition derby.

The extent of my fair attendance was the time I spent in the exhibit building.

The County Fair, ( Mahoning County Fair / Canfield Fair in Canfield Ohio) I go to starts this week and ends on Labor Day.

We bought the house Mom lives in from Pops Pop in 68, and the house is ~500 feet from the main gate.

Made some money over the years by parking cars in the yard, and I was never short for 'Fair Money'. Fact, I may park a few this year, just for old times sake.

And, of course, because the money is tax free ....:ROFLMAO:

There is too much at this fair to list, I would bet anything you have seen at any fair is findable at the Canfield Fair.

One highlight was Wife winning 3 (or more?) Blue Ribbons for her counted cross stitch.

This is my first year having a dSLR so I'm looking forward to taking pictures, especially of the Steam Power area.

One of the things I'm really going to try to make it to (0700 hrs) is the Pig Iron Derby. This is where draft horses are hitched to a sled with weights, the challenge is to see how far the team can pull the sled.

Those will be some pictures. :)

I'm getting all excited about going to the fair .... I thought I would be beyond that by the time I turned 50 .... Apparently not .... THANKS ALLOT!!!! :ROFLMAO:

We love the fair go every year and we start talking about all the junk food we're going to eat months before!

What's your favorite Fair Food?

Mine use to be the Apple Dumplings, but in later years I've grown fond of Muldars (?) Cinnamon Buns with Maple Icing and Walnuts.

when my children were young we went to the del mar fair. always ate too much greasy food and got sun burned and very tired. we had a ball.

don't go anymore, it is very hot and very crowded and costs way to much money. don't see how families do it anymore.

i guess like most things it was better when we were young.

babe:cool:

What's your favorite Fair Food?

Mine use to be the Apple Dumplings, but in later years I've grown fond of Muldars (?) Cinnamon Buns with Maple Icing and Walnuts.

Onion burgers
Ice cream
and
scones!!!!

I've been toying with going to the State fair this year-haven't been to it in years. My partner in crime (my grandson Sam, 7 yrs) has never been, so its about time.

Besides, I'm curious about what they'll be deep frying this year!!!

Back
Top Bottom