For cooking or for raising baby chicks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leolady

Head Chef
In June, I had a big country dinner party at a friend's farm.

During that dinner, I had brought my own three stainless steel aluminum clad Vollrath small stockpots to make the dinner. My friend did not have anything appropriate. They look like the bottom pot in this double boiler and are about 12qts.

img_675132_0_2d112907deb05b5ca9fc87e68c57153a.jpg

Well, my friend fell in love with my pots, so since I use them so very seldom, I loaned them to her. My friend has used them almost daily since and that is cool.

I went to the farm yesterday, and she showed me her baby chick she had to raise in her kitchen. Then, she told me that she put the chick in one of my pots at night -- every night!:angry:

I freaked! But I quietly suggested she use her own large pot for the chick because my pots were for food, not incubating baby chicks.

Joyce had a fit, and told me to take my pots because I have no business telling her what she could use them for!:ohmy:

I quietly took them. My question is.........

Was I out of line to tell her that the pots I loaned her were for cooking?

What would you have done?

poured in some stock, a few chopped carrots and celery, some onion, parsley...
then she'd get the idea!

Well.............I probably would NOT have used a stockpot in the first place and I would not have used my friend's pot, but, one of my own....but I don't think I would even consider it so...

I'm sure you were shocked...she was shocked that you said something and came back with a snarky response out of embarrassment.

I don't know what I would have done in the same spot - sometimes these things have to actually happen before we know what we will TRULY do.

Now, the question for you is...how good a friend is this? Is it worth salvaging the friendship? Your stockpots can be cleaned satisfactorily for cooking again, I feel sure.

there your pots. she shoudl be showingyou some respect and giving you thanks not lip especialyl sicne she was using them all the time....

some people.

You should take one of her pots and use it as a toliet and then react the same way to her when she says something

Elf, if she was so embarrassed, why would she do such a thing?

I don't use them much, but I love these pots. I had to protect them if they weren't being treated right in my mind.

I am going to put them in storage, and when I take them out I will scour them within a inch of their lives and soak them in bleach!

LL - she reacted that way because she didn't know how to say....oh, you're right, sorry.

I would clean them NOW and not wait...then store them!

I would just put water in them bring it to a boil let it go 20 min..This would sanitize them..Add a little vinegar if you feel that will help I'd not scour them, it might cause scratches.. Just disinfect them they will be fine. And never loan something you take such pride in..It's much easier to say NO I can't these are/were a special gift..
kadesma

I guess my weakness for trying to do nice things for people is probably something I should control.

The boiling and the vinegar are good ideas. Thanks.

She was using the pot for food.

While you were at it did you do a HAACP check to make sure her kitchen was properly sterile and that she hadn't put any bacterielly contaminated food into the pot in the months she had it?

Leolady... I think I would have been a bit put-off by it as well. I mean really... If I borrowed someones cook ware, I would not be using it for anything other than what it was intended. Show respect for OPP!

Bucky... behave!!!!

Kitchenelf asked if this was a good friend...? I think if they treated my property as such that I was nice enough to loan them I would be asking my self the same thing....:mad:
Has this friend ever showed other signs of selfishness or thoughtlessness in the past? Usually you are able to see a trend.....if it is not typical of this friend then I would chaulk it up as a moment of insanity and forgive and forget. Maybe you guys will get a good laugh about this when time passes and you see your pot is still in good working condition.....but ONLY if this was a fluke situation!

my guess is that your friend had not one clue as to the quality and value of the pot that she was using for baby chick diggs. That would also explain why she did not understand your most appropriate shock when you realized how she had used your pot.

I was going to say BT beat me to the punch, but he would have beat me by several months... I missed this post the first time around and am glad it was resurrected. I know I would be put off if someone was using something I loaned in a manner not really intended. That said. Other than the taboo thought of it, I doubt the pot suffered any lasting effect.

... I'm so in love with baby animals... that I just would have thought about how cute the chick was. I would have given her the pan and bought another one for myself or...since I hardly ever used it gone with out.

What would have bothered me was the "You can't tell me what I should be
doing with the item I BORROWED from YOU."

Well, it is mine, so yes I can.

As for using it for a chickery, wouldn't have bothered me. Metal is metal and it
wouldn't have hurt it. A good boil and it would be clean and ready to cook the chicks'
older siblings!

I really don't see what the big deal is. The pot is steel and easily cleaned. Where's the harm? My stock pot doubles as a barf bucket during flu season. Dogs lick food plates with no harm done. And if not you, many people, including your friend, handle chicks and maybe don't even rush to the faucet the moment that chick hits the ground.

yeah, as soon as the chick hits the ground, it'll be across the street, anyway.

plenty of time to wash up.

Back
Top Bottom