'Meaty' Back Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ask-A-Butcher

Senior Cook
The label says "Meaty Back Ribs" :huh: but in actuality it's a Pork Loin Rib End Roast with the chine bone removed. Part of the same cut that the Original Country Style Ribs were cut from. They had them priced at $4.99 lb :confused: but I bought them this morning reduced down to $1.99.

Note the faux pas made by the 'butcher' when he opened the cryovac packaging :mad:

meatyribs083008-1.jpg

meatyribs083008-2.jpg

I just coated them with evoo, garlic and Penzey's Smoked 4S Salt. I have a choice of cooking them low and slow at 250° or hot and quick at 350°, but think I'll split the difference and indirect them at 300° with some nice maple wood given to me by my neighbor.

While the ribs were cooking away, I whipped up another loaf of Olive Oil Bread.

bread83008.jpg

These cooked for about 2½ hours at 300° with some maple smoke. Last 15 minutes I gave it a brushing of Budweiser BBQ Sauce

meatyribs083008-3.jpg

Not the smoke ring I was looking for, but they are nice and juicy. Probably the Smithfield 'self basting', altho it wasn't on the package.

meatyribs083008-4.jpg

Served with some doctored up Bush's Steak House Grilling Beans (drained, added Bud Sauce and bacon) and some steamed broccoli. Ok for a rainy Sat nite dinner.

meatyribs083008-5.jpg

I've been meaning to try those grilling beans. Bush's has so many flavors.... I mainly get the country style flavor, but I'm hard pressed to tell much of a difference between formulas, since I Dr them up, too. Any real difference you noticed?

Everything looks good, too.

WOW!!! I have never seen ribs so meaty!! Beautiful!!
I always enjoy you pics Ask-a-Butcher, thanks for sharing!

Butcher, your ribs and bread look incredible!!!

Did you post the bread recipe somewhere?

Also, I just bought some smoked salt at the Atlantic Spice Company but haven't tried it yet. Could you taste it on the ribs, or was the flavor masked by the real smoke and/or sauce?

Nice job!

Lee

It all looks TERRIBLE ............. that's my story and I'm sticking to it! I really hate looking at this stuff when I'm hungry! :LOL::LOL:

I've been meaning to try those grilling beans. Bush's has so many flavors.... I mainly get the country style flavor, but I'm hard pressed to tell much of a difference between formulas, since I Dr them up, too. Any real difference you noticed?

Everything looks good, too.

Other than the Steak House variety, the others are too sweet for my taste.

Butcher, your ribs and bread look incredible!!!

Did you post the bread recipe somewhere?

No, but I did list the book over in the 'new cook book' thread.

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking

Amazon.com: Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking: Jeff Hertzberg, Zoe Francois: Books

Also, I just bought some smoked salt at the Atlantic Spice Company but haven't tried it yet. Could you taste it on the ribs, or was the flavor masked by the real smoke and/or sauce?

Nice job!

Lee
You can taste it better if you don't smoke the food like I did. I like the smoked salt on my eggs :mrgreen:

Also, the Penzey's 4S Smoked Salt has more than just salt added to it....pepper, garlic, paprika, etc

Back
Top Bottom