I'm apparently not used to canned products anymore...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thinking of something red, thick and can be poured. That's what I think of when I think of tomato sauce, chunky or smooth. Your recipe sounds great, but doesn't sound like it would be a red sauce, or gravy.
If I bought something in the store labeled tomato sauce, and out came veggies, including tomatoes, that had been sauteed in EVOO, I would think they labeled it wrong.

Maybe I should search; homemade tomato sauce from scratch. There must be something that produces a red sauce, other than cooking tomatoes and canning or freezing them.

It IS red. The tomatoes make it red. As for the veggies, there are only 3; minced garlic, finely chopped onions and tomatoes. And the sauce is thick and chunky and can be poured. I guess you're looking for something like a totally liquid sauce that's been strained. Sorry, just trying to help, but I don't know what else to do. Try googling "recipes for tomato sauce."

It IS red. The tomatoes make it red. As for the veggies, there are only 3; minced garlic, finely chopped onions and tomatoes. And the sauce is thick and chunky and can be poured. I guess you're looking for something like a totally liquid sauce that's been strained. Sorry, just trying to help, but I don't know what else to do. Try googling "recipes for tomato sauce."

I feel we are misunderstanding each other here. No biggie.

Hi KE................
I just got off the phone with Martha Stewart corporate hq's. I talked to a lady about where to be able to find the video from a show of Martha's years and years ago. This loud silly gal, that Martha used to have on probably too often [:LOL:] did this show only on canning or putting up your own tomatoes. I found it fascinating as I watched with glee. It is, however, no longer available since they don't have that much web space and the archives don't go back that far, dang it.
Here is something though that could help and forgive me for not reading this sooner, probably by now, you've gotten all you need advice-wise:wacko:

I made some Eggplant Parmesan using Hunt's Traditional sauce - my all-time favorite. It's been a looooooooooooooong time though since I've used already made spaghetti sauce. My eyes are already swollen from the sodium content :( I can make marinara using canned whole tomatoes and I don't react like this. I don't have a can close by to compare the sodium content though.

I'm going to have to make some homemade canned/jarred tomato sauce - ASAP!!! Anyone want to come over and teach me how?

Heart Wise Foods - Low Sodium - CENTO - San Marzano - Peeled Tomatoes

http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/97139.html

I thought one of the photos in my San Marzano thread listed the sodium, but no.

I've come to the fact that "less is more" when it comes to sauce. I haven't touched a prepared sauce in years. They are usually too sweet with a funky flavor.

Pacanis, you can use red bell peppers for sauce too.

Thanks Jeeks. I'll bet red peppers would give it a nice taste. I like sweet sauce on occasion.
I googled homemade sauce recipes and found a bunch, all of them saying to puree or blend the tomoatoes at some point. I think I've got a handle on it and just might pick up a bunch of 'maters and give it a whirl. A bushel is $10.45. I just priced it out at the fruit stand.

And to keep this on topic.... I recently had the Hunts traditional and it wasn't that bad. I had it on frozen cheese ravilolis. Worked for me. I can't say it's better or worse than the ones that come in jars tkough....

I don't seed or skin--just oil a big pan, cut tomatoes in half, add some chopped celery, onions, peeled whole garlic cloves and roast the whole pile at 400 for about an hour. Scrape it all off into the FP or use the stick blender until it is smooth--nothin' to it.

I can it, in the pressure cooker, for 20 minutes at 15 pounds pressure, in half pint jars.

I saw to trains of thought on that Sparrow, some recipes I read said to seed the tomatoes and some said there was a lot of flavor in the seeds and what surrounds them.
I guess there's only one way to find out which way I like better :)

I don't seed or skin--just oil a big pan, cut tomatoes in half, add some chopped celery, onions, peeled whole garlic cloves and roast the whole pile at 400 for about an hour. Scrape it all off into the FP or use the stick blender until it is smooth--nothin' to it.

I can it, in the pressure cooker, for 20 minutes at 15 pounds pressure, in half pint jars.

I just quarter the, season and cook down till thick. Then I strain it through a food mill. WalLa, no skin or seeds.

At school we removed skins but not seeds, cooked slow with some olive oil, herbs and a small amount of chopped carrot to adjust sweetness/acidity. We then processed through a food mill. We didn't can it as we were using it on a daily basis in the restaurant but when I make it at home I use a water bath.

I don't skin or seed because: A: I am lazy and B: I figure I need all the fiber I can get.

The sauce is smooth, with no trace of skin or seeds, after using the stick blender.

The food mill is the way to go if you leave the skin on. Otherwise you end up with little annoying bits of skin throughout the sauce. There's a bazillion ways to go about this, just find what works for you.

I don't skin or seed because: A: I am lazy and B: I figure I need all the fiber I can get.

The sauce is smooth, with no trace of skin or seeds, after using the stick blender.

Super! I'm all about "A" :LOL:
And I just got my stick blender from Amazon today. I was wondering if the stick blender would work well enough so you don't see the seeds.
Now it's off to the hardware store to get the supplies to run a new reseptacle over to my little prep area.

And then probably within the week, run over there again to get canning supplies :LOL:

Thanks Jeeks. I was thinking of skinning, but not seeding for my first batch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom