Need "Funky" veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ask-A-Butcher

Senior Cook
Going to make a long story short.........

My BIL of 13 years does not like my cooking (bbq) nor I his (cooking bags and cans). About five years ago it came to a head when it was their turn for Thanksgiving and I was asked to bring "..Iced Tea, just the tea.." :mad: I bit my tongue and brought Peach flavored ice tea :rolleyes: After the food was on the table, my BIL asked me to carve the turkey. It was so over done and dry, that all I had to do was 'shake' the carcass, which I did, and the meat fell off onto the plate. That led to a three year hiatus of neither going to the others for holiday or any meals.*

The past two years we more or less came to an unwritten rule....go to the others house, shut your mouth, eat what you want and then go home. Usually his two sons w/family and my brother are also there, so that's why the 'truce', just to keep peace.

I was just informed by my SIL that it's 'our' turn for Thanksgiving..again. Ok fine. Then at the end of the conversation, I hear my BIL chime in, "Tell him not to cook any funky vegetables, like asparagus, because we won't eat them"!!! :ermm:

We always cook some of the traditional fare....mashed taters, green bean casserole, cranberry jelly and I always throw in something different, like sweet potato casserole, some broccoli w/cheese sauce, chunky orange, nut and cranberry salad, etc. Nothing 'funky'!!

Alrighty :LOL: I'm already planning on grilled leeks and yellow beets in the skin with honey glaze, possibly some grilled bacon wrapped brussel sprouts. Any other 'funky' veggies I should consider?

* I know, I know...I don't help matters either :wacko:

This is how you do it:
"We're having Thanksgiving dinner. This is what we're having. They're will be plenty, if you'd like to share our meal with us. If you have any dietary needs, you're welcome to bring them. As you are family I would like you to come, but will understand if you've made other plans." PERIOD. No room for misunderstanding or sourpuss faces with that.
Remember the rule: You can please some of the people some of the time...... (but never your BIL)

And if they decide not to come, you're off the hook, and plenty of left overs to share with us. hint, hint. I'd go for those 'funky' veggies!

LOL! Good one, Connie!

How about stuffed artichokes? Or steamed artichokes served with melted garlic butter?

Fried okra?

The thing is, that I love everything mentioned so far!

How do you prepare the brussels sprouts, Butcher? Steam the sprouts first, then wrap and grill?

Lee

How do you prepare the brussels sprouts, Butcher? Steam the sprouts first, then wrap and grill?

Lee

I give them a quick nuke, just to give them a jump start. Season with the rub du jour, wrap with bacon and grill indirect until the bacon is done. If the bacon is too fatty, I'll pre-cook that a little bit as well.

Yumm, Butcher! I would love those, maybe cut the big ones in half, as appetizers!

Lee

how about joining in a thanksgiving invocation, "prayer" whatever you want to call it and thank them for being a part of your extended crazy family and how much you appreciate them and just watch their faces.......inform them that funky relatives are on the menu and how much you enjoy having them..........bury the hatchet.......believe me........I know all about it........you can't choose your family.......they are a packaged deal from a higher being with a sense of humor........laugh and accept them and of course you make a better turkey!!! :):):)

what about reservations at a restaurant?

who says thanksgiving has to be turkey anyway? the settlers most probably ate fish and squash, which were easy for them to get.

I made a mashed sweet potato casserole with bourbon and pecans once that had the plain janes running for the hills....
But I liked it.
More for me!

Maybe I'll invite YOU then next time.....
I was eating it for a week!!!!!
:)
Here it is if you'd like.... but I swear the recipe included toasted pecans....
oh well.. maybe I invented it. It was over 5 years ago.

tradationhere is thanksgiving dinner at my house. it is boring for me as they always want the same old stuff. no challenge for the cook. last year i did make the sweet potatoe cassorle i found. they loved it. i do make what they want and just make one more "funky" vegatable. last year bacon and parm. cheese brussel sprouts. dil loved them so much i made again for her bday dinner . tradation is a hard thing to buck babesorry spell check is not working.

i don't think so. not if i am the one cooking. does your family eat leftovers, babetoo ?

Well, AAB, you, or someone else, has already mentioned the "funky" ones I would have added to the list. It's hard to imagine asparagus being on the "funky list" :rolleyes: I'd say the funkiest one mentioned is the edamame - - not because it IS funky - just funky at Thanksgiving! LOL And make sure you get the kind IN the shells - that should send him screaming into the night!

OR - you could just have tacos that night!

Back
Top Bottom