Emeril's Essence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ella/TO

Sous Chef
Hi DC'rs.....I've lost/misplaced my recipe for the above. Does anyone have it? Would appreciate greatly if you could send it on to me. Thanks in advance....e

It does really pay to make this up yourself, as the commercial version is uber pricey for the size you get. And since I buy many of my frequently-used dried herbs/spices in bulk, mixing up "Essence" ends up even cheaper. I just mix it up in a large plastic dried spice container. I always save these containers to store the bulk herbs/spices I buy in plain plastic bags.

The only change I make in the recipe is cutting the amount of salt in half. The recipe is more than flavorful (& healthier) without the extra salt. Trust me - you won't miss it.

I mix my own too but it cakes up on me. I was thinking of adding rice to absorb the moisture. Anyone else have this problem?

I see 3 links to spice blend recipes in this thread.
2 of the recipes contain garlic powder.
This is probably what is causing your mix to "cake up"
Garlic powder is a magnet for moisture which causes the caking.
Swap the garlic powder for granulated garlic.
The two items are virtually identical in taste and potency as well.
The powder resembles flour and the granulated garlic is similar in texture to ground black pepper.

As well never store spices over the stove, convenient maybe, but there is just to much moisture hitting that over-the-stove cabinet.
Also never shake spices from the jar directly into your "cooking pot".
Steam rising from the pot will get into the spice jar and cause caking and shorten the life span of your spices as well.

If you still have caking problems after switching to granulated garlic and verifying that your storage area is cool and very dry, you can try and use a little baking soda or potato starch in the mix as a natural anti-caking agent. Just a couple of pinches to start out and adjust as needed.

Good Luck :)

I completely agree with Lovergrill. I ALWAYS buy/use granulated garlic for recipes it suits - NEVER powdered. The powdered cakes, flies all over the place, & I don't think the flavor/potency is the same as the granulated. I can add a light dash of granulated garlic to a tartar sauce & it blends right in; the same light dash of powdered clumps into little balls.

My poor husband thought he was helping me out once by picking up a large container of the powdered stuff one time. I didn't want to hurt his feelings, so I used it - but asap. We sure did have a heckuva lot of tacos, chilis, cajun catfish, etc., etc. for dinner all of a sudden - lol!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom