Apple Pie Filling Oozing out of jars, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djsmiles

Assistant Cook
Hi there!
I am having some problems with my batches of Apple Pie Filling.

I am blanching the apples, packing them into quart jars, pouring the hot syrup over, removing air bubbles, filling to 1/2 ", wiping the rims, placing the lids, screwing the rings and then placing in the hot water bath for 25 minutes.

When I remove the jars, they immediately begin to hiss and apple pie filling oozes out and down the sides of the jars.

The jars have since sealed, all but two out of 14. I am wondering though how well they could have sealed with sticky syrup under the lids?

What am I doing wrong?:( I have never had this problem with my butters or jellies.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me!

Darlene

First thing I noticed is that my recipe out of the Ball Complete Book is the headspace must be 1" not 1/2". Assuming that the lid bands were put on properly finger-tight only, you would have had a half inch or more of food overflowing as it was being processed. If the bands were on too tight which restricted the venting process even more loss could be possible as the pressure in the jar gets too high.

I assume the thickener you used was ClearJel.

The jars that sealed should be okay, but the seal may be weak. After 24 hours, rinse and clean the jars thoroughly of any residue. The lids will hopefully hold.

Try to pick up the jars by the lids--if they hold, they are sealed properly. If they don't, you probably need to discard the contents. (You can reprocess, using a new jar and lid, if you do it within 24 hours.)

Back
Top Bottom