Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Fish & Seafood (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Wine recommendation for sauce (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f16/wine-recommendation-for-sauce-50105.html)

pacanis 09-12-2008 06:17 AM

Wine recommendation for sauce

I am going to be making this tonight Recipes : Mojo Moulies : Food Network
Can Someone recommend a wine for the sauce? AB said in this recipe it didn't need to be something that necessarily tastes good, but since it only take 1-1/2 cups and I never cook with wine (this will be my first time), I might as well drink the rest of the bottle :smile: Problem: I'm not a wine drinker either.... I would probably prefer something sweet, not dry, but I don't know how that would work in the recipe and the sauce comes first.
So I need a wine that makes a good sauce with seafood, is cheap, and is pretty common/easy to find. And is somewhat drinkable :wink:

Andy M. 09-12-2008 06:27 AM

I'd make this recipe with sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio. Both are dry whites with no oakiness. I think a sweet wine would change the recipe too much but if you want, try a Johannesburg reisling.

You can freeze unused wine in an ice cube tray for later use.

Another alternative is to buy a bottle of dry white vermouth. It's a flavored and fortified wine that will last virtually forever and is a good all around choice when a recipe calls for a generic white.

pacanis 09-12-2008 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 682736)
I'd make this recipe with sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio. Both are dry whites with no oakiness. I think a sweet wine would change the recipe too much but if you want, try a Johannesburg reisling.

Another alternative is to buy a bottle of dry white vermouth. It's a flavored and fortified wine that will last virtually forever and is a good all around choice when a recipe calls for a generic white.

Ahhh, yes! I remember that now from a few years ago when I was looking for info on cooking wines. Great suggestion, Andy. I don't even need to drink it to use it up, just stick it in the pantry.

Thanks

CharlieD 09-12-2008 10:37 AM

I o not like drinking wine, if I do I drink something very light and sweet. There are a lot of Italian wines like that. I maybe wrong in a classical way, but that is what I like to make all my sauces with.

ChefJune 09-12-2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 682736)

Andy, you took the words right out of my mouth. :wink: and the Vermouth would enhance the mussel recipe Pacanis has in mind.