White vs Black pepper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomW

Senior Cook
White versus Black pepper.

In a blindfolded taste test, can anyone tell a taste difference between the two? From another thread:

Ellsworth said:
This is the gospel truth folks...

1) Black Pepper

2) White Pepper

... [bunch of other spices] ...
My impression is that white pepper is used for aesthetic reasons (no black specks in the dish).

What do you think?
Tom

There is a flavor difference between them if you're comparing fresh cracked. It's there, but I suspect many people wouldn't be able to tell. if the pepper is old or pre-ground, the difference dissipates fairly quickly.

White pepper tends to taste hotter and flatter. Less complex overtones and so forth.

Usage is as you note more about visual aesthetics.

I agree. White pepper is black pepper with the outer hull removed. Black pepper has a more complex, even floral scent missing from white pepper.

I rarely use white pepper. Black specks usually don't bother me.

They do have a slightly difference flavor, most will not notice, but the difference is in the usage....the white being used in light-colored dishes where the black pepper would stand out. Aesthetics only IMO.

...the white being used in light-colored dishes where the black pepper would stand out. Aesthetics only IMO.

I don't think it's entirely aesthetics. White pepper is called for in some Asian dishes where black pepper would not be noticeable.

Will the complexity survive oil @350 degF?

thymeless said:
... White pepper tends to taste hotter and flatter. Less complex overtones and so forth. ...
Andy M said:
... Black pepper has a more complex, even floral scent missing from white pepper ...

... I don't think it's entirely aesthetics. White pepper is called for in some Asian dishes ...
The post I originally quoted from deals with a breading recipe for frying chicken in hot oil.

Do you think the differences between black and white pepper will survive the cooking process?

Tom

I do very little frying, but will say that there's a definite difference if I use freshly-ground black pepper or freshly-ground white pepper in flour used for dredging poultry cutlets or seafood for pan frying.

Since I rarely batter-dip &/or deep-fry anything, I can't respond to differences there.

I could always tell the difference.....and we've already had the discussion about what I think white pepper smells like:sick:

Black pepper

I only use freshly-ground black pepper in my cooking.

I've not come across any recipes that ask for white pepper so far.

:chef:

I use freshly ground black pepper all the time. I don't have a sophisticated enough palate to really distinguish the differences in flavor, I just like black pepper. The black specks don't bother me at all in white sauces, etc.

at school, black pepper didn't exist. i don't see why, i love black pepper myself.

Very different flavors. Cracked black peppercorns have, as noted previously, a more floral aroma and taste. White peppercorns, usually used finely ground, have a more subtle aroma and a drier kind of heat. Use white in Asian dishes. Black pepper would not work in, say, hot and sour soup.

I find that there is definately a difference between white and black pepper. Make the same dish twice and use each pepper in a differnet dish, then you can tell.

Hi Tom,
In small quantities, I don't know if I could tell the difference when the food product is fried. On the other hand, In large quantities such as used in making blackened fish, I can definately tell the difference in taste. I was making blackened catfish a while back and ran out of white pepper. So I tried to sub 1/2 part each of black and red pepper for 1/3 part each of black, white and red pepper. I could really tell the difference in the taste of the catfish.

Back
Top Bottom