Sun Dried Tomatoes in oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lissa

Assistant Cook
I just finished making some sun dried tomatoes and would like to pack them in oil - has anyone done this and know how? What I have read on the internet does not tell me what I need to do to avoid botulism.

I'm not sure, wiser minds will answer, but I think the acid will take care of your worries......Or, so will sending any extra to my address. They won't have time to sit around! ;)

By the way, Welcome, Lissa
So much to learn and have fun here.

thank you thank you... I will do a proper intro later or tomorrow. I am up to my eyeballs in peppers tomatoes and cukes right now.

thank you thank you... I will do a proper intro later or tomorrow. I am up to my eyeballs in peppers tomatoes and cukes right now.

I just Googled "homemade sun dried tomatoes in oil" and came up with a ton of sites showing you how to do this. Apparently if you put them up in sterilized jars you can keep these in the fridge for up to 6 weeks. Go for it. I didn't think it would work, but I was wrong.

I make sun-dried tomatoes, and I also dry tomatoes in a dehydrator. I always pack them in evoo. Fill one quart Mason jars with tomatoes, add a teaspoon or so of fennel seed and a clove or two of garlic, peeled and bruised. Refrigerate for a week before serving, if possible, to marry flavors. I've made lots and lots of these, and have not killed anyone yet. Great in prepared dishes OR serve in the jar with plenty of crusty bread or rolls. I like cracked wheat sourdough rolls best with this. A hit at potlucks...when the tomatoes are gone, I think they drink the oil. A quart usually disappears in half an hour.

Preserving tomatoes in oil is currently not recommended. Oil may protect botulism organisms trapped in a water droplet. This comes from the National Center for Home Food Preservation. Some say you are okay if they are refrigerated, but every time you remove the jar from the refrigerator you are warming the jar, potentially adding moisture, etc. Not worth the potential risk IMO.

That's what I read too (the botulism warning)

I think I will just keep them in the baggie in the fridge until I am ready to use them. Maybe the night before put them in a small jar with oil & garlic to marinate overnight.

Thanks for the advice ladies

I put mine in oil, then foodsave small packages to put into the freezer. They freeze very well.

Bringing this back up as I am keen to sun-dry a lot of this year's glut of toms.

I note mcnerd's concerns, but Italians have been sun-drying toms since time immemorial and storing them for months at a time.

Does anyone have any techniques for drying toms and storing them so that they will last a few months? I don't have a freezer or enough fridge space to make this a viable option.

Thanks for any advice.

I dry tomato slices all the time in a dehydrator and store them in mostly in vacuum sealed bags to keep moisture away from them. They will last for years in the dried state and can be reconstituted at any time with hot water.

I just don't store them in oil since I have no desire to flavor them with C. Botulinum.

I note mcnerd's concerns, but Italians have been sun-drying toms since time immemorial and storing them for months at a time.
But how are you storing them? If you are storing them in oil then you are playing Russian Roulette. If you are storing them where air can get at them then that is just fine.

Just because you have done something and never had a problem does not mean it is safe. I will go back to my old seat belt analogy. You can drive for 50 years and never wear a seat belt, but that does not mean it is safe. The first time you get into a serious accident you will be wishing you were wearing it. The same goes for storing things in oil. The chances of getting botulism are very small, BUT is it really something you want to take a chance with? If you lose the bet then you really lose.

Does anyone have any techniques for drying toms and storing them so that they will last a few months? I don't have a freezer or enough fridge space to make this a viable option.

Thanks for any advice.

The longer you dry them the longer they will last. If you dry them enough then they will last for many months in a container. out on the counter or anywhere else you want to keep them.

Sun dried tomatoes canned at home isn't recommended,for the most part in my opinion,people who dehydrate their own tomatoes don't always do it properly.We already know some dehydrators aren't the best for this purpose.
Some tomatoes like Roma's are best for it,but people at home might have a different take on it.

What you buy in stores has most likely been chemically treated by sulfuring.By doing that the processors are guaranteed the tomatoes will keep their color,and flavor.Not all are treated in that process.But for those that dry tomatoes outdoors it's necessary to do.And they have to keep germy little things away from the product at all times.

For us at home,it's always best to dehydrate them fully.Store airtight.Use them as needed.You could always infuse them in olive oil and herbs,the night before.Store in the fridge no more then a few days,just to be safe.

Anyone here remember "Lou Petrozza" from Hell's Kitchen? He was runner up,(should have won) He now works here...Check out those recipes enjoy!!

Sun Dried Tomatoes | VSP Products - Quality Sun Dried Tomato Products

Munky.

I dry tomato slices all the time in a dehydrator and store them in mostly in vacuum sealed bags to keep moisture away from them. They will last for years in the dried state and can be reconstituted at any time with hot water.

Thanks mcnerd and everyone else. So the upshot is: just dry and keep dry.

macro-grp02, you generally don't really sun dry them. What people usually do is oven dry them. It is really easy too. Take your tomatoes and cut them in half and scoop out the seeds. Put on a baking sheet cut side up and sprinkle with salt and drizzle with a little olive oil. You can also add other herbs now if you like, but personally I like to do it with just salt and oil. Put them in the oven at the lowest temp you can set your oven to and let them dry that way until they get to the desired dryness you want. This can take anywhere from a few hours to 12 hours or more. The drier you get them the longer they will last.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom