Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   What's for Dinner, Monday, Sept. 22, 2008? (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/whats-for-dinner-monday-sept-22-2008-a-50418.html)

AllenOK 09-22-2008 09:41 AM

What's for Dinner, Monday, Sept. 22, 2008?

I'm planning on making my "Smoke Roasted Chicken". I'm sure I've described this before, but here it is again.

I will brine 10 lbs of leg-and-thigh quarters. The brine will be infused with rosemary, thyme, sage, garlic, and pepper.

I will grill the chicken, over direct heat, but the firepan will be as far away from the chicken as possible, and the lid will be closed. I won't use many coals, so it will take around 30 - 40 minutes to cook fully. I call it "Smoke Roasted" as it's in contact with the smoke, and the lid is closed, but it's not the high intense heat of grilling. It's somewhere inbetween smoking and grilling.

The end result is tender, juicy, well-seasoned chicken. Yummy! All 10 lbs will dissappear by the time dinner is done.

JohnL 09-22-2008 10:05 AM

I was given a bag of monk fish fillets yesterday, so I'll do something with those tonight.:smile:

GrillingFool 09-22-2008 10:14 AM

Lasagna, with tons of mushrooms and italian sausage.
The last gasps of tomatoes from our measly plants will become salad,
and some good garlic bread will round it out.
Oh, yeah, wife wants corn, too.

pdswife 09-22-2008 10:15 AM

?? I have ground turkey that I need to use.

LadyCook61 09-22-2008 10:19 AM

We are having company , a friend of hubby's is staying for 3 days. I don't know yet what I will make for dinner. Either chicken fingers or chicken-spinach-asiago cheese sausage.

Uncle Bob 09-22-2008 10:19 AM

Swimps Creole...
Rice
Bread
Salad maybe....

GrantsKat 09-22-2008 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bob (Post 689539)
Swimps Creole...
Rice
Bread
Salad maybe....

Im going there^^^^^^
beats a pulled pork sandwich anyday, IMHO
love, love,love seafood:pig:

LEFSElover 09-22-2008 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy first day of Fall or Autumn everyone.

With the new nip in the air [yeh, right:huh:] thought it'd be a good time to do pasta fagioli with salad and NYT bread, extra garlic, flax seeds, smoked gouda shreds, finely grated parm cheese.

pacanis 09-22-2008 10:37 AM

Boy, that's some good sounding food.
I was thinking about lasagna just yesterday. I haven't made, or for that matter had any in years.
The chickens sound really good, too.
And the shrimp and the garlic bread and the salad :lol:

pdswife 09-22-2008 10:48 AM

Thanks to Andy, Uncle Bob and KE
we're having :

1 lb ground turkey
1 chopped onion
2 chopped garlic bulbs
1/2 cut beef broth
1 tablespoon Thyme
1/4 cup red wine
salt and pepper
3 chopped potatoes
1 bay leaf
2 chopped tomatoes

Saute turkey onion and garlc until meat is brown
Add broth, wine,thyme salt and pepper and potato and bay leaf
Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Cook until potatoes are soft
Add tomatoes and cook until heated.

Or the above with chicken broth, white wine and tarragon...!

kitchenelf 09-22-2008 11:13 AM

Going to a Pampered Chef party so there will be food there - Son and DH will have left-overs from yesterday...Max's friends are coming over so that means I better hide a bit for me for tomorrow's lunch

BrazenAmateur 09-22-2008 12:14 PM

I've got a bag of frozen bay scallops.

Bread, deep fry, dip, eat.

I'll throw together a couple dipping sauces from whatever I've got in my fridge.

I'll probably boil some corn on the cob in old bay-laced water to go along with them. Whole deal will take maybe 25 minutes.

pacanis 09-22-2008 12:17 PM

I just had one of those leftover foil chicken and stuffing pouches for lunch. Along with a lot of mashed potatoes and gravy.
Dinner may have to wait til tomorrow :pig:

LPBeier 09-22-2008 12:30 PM

I have no idea. It was supposed to be lasagna that I prepped and froze awhile back but I have a late doctor's appointment, the border needs to eat before I get home and DH may have to stay a bit late from work so we will all be eating at different times.

I think I will just put on a crockpot of soup and let everyone serve themselves from that. There are plenty of sandwich makings as well.

WestVillage 09-22-2008 03:09 PM

i'm going out to 'savoy restaurant' with a couple friends. i hear it's a cool little greek joint on the corner of prince and crosby. i've never been there before but it sounds like a good place.

DaveSoMD 09-22-2008 03:27 PM

I'm making Orange cashew chicken stir fry and rice.

LPBeier 09-22-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveSoMD (Post 689833)
I'm making Orange cashew chicken stir fry and rice.

Mmmmmm, Dave, that sounds so delicious!

VeraBlue 09-22-2008 03:51 PM

I've got a fridge full of leftover lasagna and the fried chicken from the apple orchard picnic....

But I think I'm just opening a can of soup and having a couple of the special city pretzels Lou brings me. Definitely an apple for dessert!

elaine l 09-22-2008 04:15 PM

VB, How's Lou?

Leftover pizza, some chicken and salad here. Boring. It should be leftover tortillas but mine didn't come out right.

DaveSoMD 09-22-2008 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeraBlue (Post 689862)
I've got a fridge full of leftover lasagna and the fried chicken from the apple orchard picnic....!

I have not had real fried chicken in a long time. I might have to give that a try sometime. I have never made that before.

LP - It is a great standby stirfry .. here is the recipe
Orange Cashew Chicken Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes