Lesotho mine yields one of world's largest diamonds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Lesotho mine yields one of world's largest diamonds - Yahoo! News

Miners in the southern African kingdom of Lesotho have found one of the world's largest diamonds, a near-flawless white gem weighing nearly 500 carats, mining group Gem Diamonds said on Sunday.

The diamond was discovered in the Letseng Mine on September 8, the company said in a statement. It has been analyzed by experts in Antwerp and found to weigh 478 carats, with very few inclusions and of outstanding color and clarity.

"It has the potential to yield one of the largest flawless D color round polished diamonds in history," the company said.

Who wants it???

I saw this on this morning's news. And you know what, If I tripped over it I wouldn't know it was a diamond. Then I had to wonder how many other treasures I've tripped over. But had to stop thinking about it. I didn't want it to ruin my day. I can't think of all the lotto tickets I've misplaced. LOL!

I saw this on this evening's news. Then definition of pressure? How'd you like to be in charge of cutting that sucker?

I don't want it because
a diamond is actually an extremely simple material. It is made of pure carbon and is the hardest naturally occurring mineral. In fact, the only thing separating the precious stone from coal is its molecular structure (it's all in the isometric-hexoctahedral crystal lattice.)
Why do people get excited over this ? Madison Avenue Baloney, that's why.

Hey I'll be happy with half of it
Can I have the other half? :rolleyes:

I would definitely take that diamond if offered. I would have it cut into a lot of smaller diamonds and sell them (I would make sure I got a pair of earrings and a necklace out of it, as well as a set to put away for our granddaughter--pictured in my avatar). :cool:

:)Barbara

Back
Top Bottom