What's for Dinner, Thursday, Sept 25, 2008?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
I'm still debating my menu for tonight. What do you fine folks have planned???

My turn to cook for date nite and I'm making sushi and sashimi. Busy cooking the rice and hoping it comes out sticky enough as I haven't made it for ages!

I have some frozen Whole Foods wild salmon in my freezer, so I'm going to do a favorite preparation purloined from Eric Ripert, of "Le Bernadin" fame. It's called "barely cooked" salmon, and it's still on his tasting menu today.

Obviously, I'm not going to be doing anything with snow morels or truffle butter. My accompaniments/side dish will be very plain because it's a weeknight, I'm in a hurry, and I'm not made of money.

The salmon itself though, via this method, is easy to cook properly and it's stupidly delicious. Link:

Recipes : Barely Cooked Salmon - Wine Magazine

Since the salmon is done on the stovetop and is supposed to be skinless (mine has skin), I will peel the skin off, let it sit in shoyu for a few minutes, cut it into rectangles, and broil it to make salmon-skin "crackers", which I lay on top of the finished fish. I'd throw Ikura (salmon roe) on top of the cracker if I had it, but I ran out on Tuesday, lol.

I'll do whatever the side dish is while the salmon is cooking and the skin is broiling. It's always something simple, usually just a green veg, either frozen or fresh, depending on what I've got. I've been on a green bean kick lately.

The whole dinner will be less than $10, for seriously good food (IMO, anyway).

now listen girl, I'm countin on you for that inspiration today.
it's all on you:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Uh oh... inspiration from me????? The uninspired one here of late????? I feel like I have been in a cooking rut! I have some really nice ricotta cheese I still need to use if it has not turned funky on me!!!

I'm going to be on vacation tomorrow and all of next week, so I'll probably be working late to make sure everything I need to finish is done before I leave. So I'll probably pick up some takeout tonight. Don't know what yet.

not a clue. its rainy outside, nobody in this house is happy today.... i cant think of a thing.

A good rainy day dinner is red beans and rice (with a little sausage) you can do it all in one pot too to save on dishes.

I was thinking of sausage sandwiches cooked in red gravy on the big sourdough rolls I bought yesterday. I don't want to use my Johnsonvilles for that, and the little store in town sells some pretty good storemade sausage that would be perfect. It's always served by the volunteer firemen at the town picnics and is pretty tasty and cheap, or at least it used to be. I was also reading some recipes for making tomato sauce in a pressure cooker in ten minutes that tastes like it was cooked all day, so I might incorporate both things and venture into making my own tomato sauces.
If I make it to the store....

going shopping for fabric tonight. couple of doors down from fabric store is a place call "the wrangler" it has been in same location for 45 years. they must be doing something right. it is bbq of course, beef, chicken, and ribs. we probably pick up their beef sandwich dinner. thin slice beef , on burger bun, sauce . they have a lot of sides, i usually get the coleslaw and beans. make me drool just to think about it. best sauce and you get a little container to use as you eat the sandwich. yum yum. :cool:

A simple one skillet meal of ground beef, cream of chicken soup, dried ground celery, dried basil, salt, pepper, ground cumin, teaspoon of dijon mustard, dried garlic , and egg noodles and a can of peas. Never made it before with all those ingredients .:chef: Pudding for dessert.
Still have company, hubby's friend , he was going to stay 3 days , yeah right. Suppose to have left on Wed. Maybe I should cook bad meals:LOL:.
Just kidding. I'm pleased hubby's friend likes my cooking. ;)

I think I'll make tacos.... and whatever else I want.
Propane guy just showed up to sell us 300 gallons.... :)
been waiting AWHILE to cook how I want because I was afraid I would run us out!!!
YAY!!
Maybe a few loaves o bread also.
:)

I got back from the store a while ago. $2.69/lb for their "Cherry Festival" cased sausage. Not bad, but I'm sitting here thinking I should have gotten some mozzarella, too...... grrrr. Might as well go back and do it right. I'm going to roast some garlic for the toasted rolls, too. Or is that toast some garlic for the roasted rolls (lol).

What would be a good side with this?

coleslaw..... or potato salad.
:)
I'm going to the store too.
OUtta milk.
:(

man, whose got rain?:mad:

I am having to forgo canning tomato sauce because we do not have enough water:(

anyway, sausage gravy over jazzed up mashed taters with a side of collard greens

It's bar food for me tonight....I'm bowling. They've got a great menu. I'm thinking a chicken caesar wrap.
I made goulash for dh.

Barb

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom