Veggie dish for 22

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I need to make a veggie dish for about 22 people. I usually make roasted root veggies as it is easy, inexpensive, and people love them. I would like to do something different this year so I am looking to you for suggestions.

I would like to keep this as inexpensive as possible. I will need to make this Sunday night for dinner Monday so it should be something that can be made ahead and either served cold or room temp or can be reheated. I would also like to keep it strictly vegetarian as one of the guests is a vegetarian and even though we always make sure that there is a veggie option for his main dish, I feel that the veggie sides should be something he does not have to worry about as well.

Let me have it DC. What are your best suggestions?

I make a grilled rattatoullie. Eggplant, zucchini, squash, red/green bell pepper, red onion, fennel, cherry tomatoes, etc. Cut in large pieces and grill. Cut into bite sized pieces season and toss with some evoo. You could sprinkle on some fresh parslety and maybe some feta.

Thank you both for your suggestions.

KE I have seen you mention KansasGirl's recipe a number of times in the past and it fits all of my requirements. Cooked peas are not one of my favorites. I love them raw, but cooked I could take or leave. i think I will probably give this recipe a shot though because everyone who has made it has had such great things to say about it.

Keep the suggestions coming though guys. Even though I will probably take KE's suggestion it does not hurt to see more ideas!

Oh KE, one question on that recipe. Green onions...Is that scallions or something else?

How about chili? Here is one that I really like: Ultimate Vegetarian Chili

Baked beans are cheap, easy and filling too.

Here is another chili I like:

1 Tbs olive oil
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbs honey
2 (14 ounce) cans kidney beans with liquid
1 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 can corn or 3/4 cup frozen
1/2 cup bulgur

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat, and saute green pepper and onion until onion is tender. Add garlic and all spices and cook, stirring constantly for about 1 minute. Mix in honey, beans, tomatoes, and bulgur. Cook, stirring, occasionally, 20-30 minutes.

Hi GB, what are other items you are making. I have a lot of different inexpensive veggie ideas but my cooking is more Indian influenced and may clash with other things you may have going.

My favorite recipe for such oaccassions is a veggie pilaf/biryani which is full of rich spices and veggies. You can make is spicy or mild and it's a one dish meal. You can make a simple raita (yogurt sauce) on the side. Here is the general recipe if you are interested and no fancy ingredients needed. There are however many ingredients

2 Potatoes, peeled and cut into medium chunks
frozen cut green beans (1 packet)
Assorted bell peppers cut into cubes
1 small cauliflower cut into florets
1 large onion sliced thinly
smallest can of tomato sauce
1/2 cup of yogurt
1/4 cup of freshly chopped mint
1/2 cup of freshly chopped cilantro
1 green chili
1 tbsp of freshly minced ginger
2 cloves of garlic minced

Spices:
Place 2 tsps of the following spices in a bowl and microwave them for a minute and then powder them.
Corrainder seeds, Cumin Seeds, Black Peppercorn, stick of cinnamon, 3 cloves, 2 cardamoms.
Also use 1/4 tsp of turmeric if you have it and chili powder in place of green chili or in addition to that if you like it spicy.
salt to taste

Rice
4 cups of rice - I would recommend you use long grain rice and then soak it in water for atleast an hour.

You will need a 1/4 cup oil

First fry the onions in the oil. The onions should get almost brown. Next add the ginger, garlic and dry spices and toast them for a minute. Now add the veggies, yogurt and tomato sauce and stir to combine. Cover and let it cook for 15 minutes or so on low until the veggies start to get a little softer.

Next drain the water from the rice and add it to the pan along with the mint and cilantro. Mix it all together (rice and veggies) and let it cook on low or better yet in the oven at 300 degrees for 1 or 1.5 hours.

You can remove the rice in a nice decorative dish sprinkle with a little bit of saffron and cilantro and serve with a raita (I like to make mine with one cup of yogurt, a chopped tomato, chopped cucumber, chopped red onion and season with salt, sugar and freshly roasted cumin powder).

Your can even add dried fruits - apricots, raisins and almonds to this recipe to make it richer.

I was thinking saag or dal would be nice too. The other day I made moong dal from one of your posts and it was amazing. And easily scalable, i would think.

I'm never sure what the diff is between vegetarian and vegetable dishes. If they can have cheese, an inexpensive crowd pleaser is the green bean casserole. You never heard me say it, but I like the broc/cauliflower cheese casserole w french fried onions. Make it every Thanksgiving, & as a take-along side. Everyone gobbles it up. It also goes by the name Swiss vegetable medley. I omit the pimientos. For 22, you might prep it in two pyrex casserole dishes or an aluminum try. You can make it the day before, and nuke or bake it the day of.

I don't know what your main dishes will be, but some ideas I can think of would be:

1) One of the many variations of Asian stir-fried green beans. Since these preparations are fairly dry, they are easy to prepare to "just" crisp-tender & reheat very well. Even storefront Chinese takeout places & buffets manage to keep them delicious & presentable. Recipes are available with & without meat.

2) Any of the wonderful Indian vegetable curries with either a combination of vegetables or just a single like cauliflower, potatoes, okra, summer squash. All can not only easily be reheated, but actually (in my opinion) taste even better the following day.

3) A vegetable fried rice, with lots of different diced vegetables & minimal rice. Again, an easy reheater.

Yakuta, I am not sure what else will be served. My mom is hosting so she is doing the majority of the cooking. My guess is that the main course will be brisket and turkey, but I am not totally sure.Your recipe looks wonderful. I am saving that to make for my family sometime.

vyapti, I like the dal idea.

Amy the difference between vegetarian and vegetable dishes is that a vegetarian dish will not have any meat in it while a vegetable dish could. For instance, I have seen the green bean casserole you mentioned made with crumbled bacon on top. that would be a veggie dish, but it would not be vegetarian. Another example would be vegetables cooked with chicken stock. That would be a veggie dish, but not vegetarian.

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions.

You said you wanted to keep it strictly vegetarian, geebs, but see it posted under vegetables. That was the reason for my question. No you don't have to dump bacon on the dreaded LOL green bean casserole. It's an inexpensive idea, that everyone (but me) seems to go ga-ga over. I do like the broc/cauliflower/carrot casserole, & there is no meat included - but there are dairy products in the dish.

You said you wanted to keep it strictly vegetarian, geebs, but see it posted under vegetables.
Where else would you have me post it? I am looking for a vegetable dish so I posted under the vegetable forum. Am I missing something?

Grill or roast assorted vegetables, then dice them and toss them with either orzo or cous cous, and your chimichurri sauce.
Oh I like that idea, but I think that amount of garlic with some of the people in this crowd might not go over too well. I will save that for my family though. I like the idea of using that sauce for something other than meat.

Oh I like that idea, but I think that amount of garlic with some of the people in this crowd might not go over too well. I will save that for my family though. I like the idea of using that sauce for something other than meat.

You could do the same thing using pesto. Just make the pesto a little loose so you can toss it, and cut back on the garlic. A sun dried tomato pesto would be really good also.

How about zuchini and stewed tomatoes with a little pamesan or romano cheese. That's usually a crowd pleaser.

Fyi,

hi claire, the yellow lentils may be moong dal and the white may be urad. You can do a whole lot with them but here is an easy recipe for the yellow dal that you might enjoy.

4 cups yellow moong dal
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 large tomato finely chopped
1 jalapeno finely chopped
2 tsp of cumin seeds
4 cloves of garlic finely minced
1 tbsp of curry powder
1/2 cup of fresh dill finely chopped
salt to taste
3 tbsp of oil (any kind)
3 cups of water

in a pan, add the oil and once it's hot add the cumin seeds, garlic and jalapeno. Saute it for a few seconds. Next add the onion and cook them until translucent. Add the curry powder and toast it for a few minutes. Next add the tomatoes and let it all cook until tomato is almost pulpy in texture. Now add the moong dal and water and salt to taste and let this all cook until the dal is cooked. This cooks fast so don't forget about it (keep an eye on it). Once the dal is cooked add the dill and stir it and serve with store bought roti's and basmati rice.

We like to accompany it with pickles (sweet and spicy) and papads (called papadums in the west)

Back
Top Bottom