Foods your mom made you eat that you won't eat as an adult

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
I was just talking to a friend and this came up and now I'm curious. As a kid my mom cooked ham steaks and beets. Since moving out I've never eaten either. I won't eat any kind of ham now because of the ham steak experience.

So ~ what did your mom make you eat as a kid you just can't eat now?

Ham, any way, shape, or form. Mom always seemed to find the saltiest hams around when I was growing up, and I now detest eating the stuff.

I really can't think of any. She used to make me eat peas and mashed potatoes and now I love them. (how can a child not like mashed potatoes?)
I know creamed corn! I still can't stand it. The texture just really bothers me. I will eat kernel corn and corn on the cob.

Barb

Braunschweiger, and anything else that has anything to do with liver!!! YUCCCH!!

Wrongo, wrongo SK. No YUCCCH with Braunschweiger, only YUMMMMMMMOOOO's!!!!!!!!! Oh, and put it on white bread with mayo and a slice of oinion. To die for!

We ate just about everything put in front of us while growing up. 5 boys would eat just about anything, and we still do today. Now as far as the wifey goes, I will never again eat Hamburger Helper or any of those other cheap meat stretching boxed foods that she bought when we were newley weds. Yuk!

Wrongo, wrongo SK. No YUCCCH with Braunschweiger, only YUMMMMMMMOOOO's!!!!!!!!! Oh, and put it on white bread with mayo and a slice of oinion. To die for!

We ate just about everything put in front of us while growing up. 5 boys would eat just about anything, and we still do today. Now as far as the wifey goes, I will never again eat Hamburger Helper or any of those other cheap meat stretching boxed foods that she bought when we were newley weds. Yuk!

I wont eat mac and cheese becasue when i was younger, thats all we had for months at a time was hot dogs cut up in mac and cheese. I cant stand the stuff

my mom isnt much of a cook.

although I used to never realyl eat veggies and now thats the one this that I enjoy cooking and eating. Im actually not a fan of proteins. I think they are boring and no matter how you dress it (seasonings, way of cooking) there isnt that much amazing ness you can do to it.

The overproduction of the cabbage patch - steamed cabbage and coleslaw in the same meal, scented by the fermentation of sauerkraut from the kitchen.

I'll tolerate fresh cabbage in a salad, but that's about the only way I like to eat it. Bok choy is a little too similiar for my taste too. (it IS in the same family)

LL

Mom didn't make anything unusual, so I pretty much eat anything except creamed corn. (no mom never served it, I just can't stand it).
Poor woman did have a tendency to cook everything beyond recognition though.:ermm:

The only thing that comes to mind is liver & onions:sick: My brother & I would "pretend" to eat it, but actually spit it out into a napkin & then flush it in the toilet:LOL:I have vivid memories of doing this:ROFLMAO:
I know we did the same thing with other foods we didnt like, but I cant remember what they were! I have to call him!:)

none. In fact, I'm sure I have a more adventurous palate as a result of beind "encouraged" to eat everything she served us.

I eat a far wider range of foods now than what was presented to me as a child.

Those big Lima beans, the one that are about the size of your thumb nail, served with a tomato sauce over top, yuk, that and tomato soup, can't stand the smell.

Zucchini...I don't mind it but we had an overactive garden full of it. I remember summers eating lots of it, so I rarely cook it, I do like & make zucchini bread.

i was encouraged to try my brussels sprouts. yuck!!! unless they're extra-petite hanover brussels.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom