Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Today's Menu (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/)
-   -   Whats for dinner, Wed October 1st? (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/whats-for-dinner-wed-october-1st-50714.html)

suziquzie 10-01-2008 11:45 AM

Whats for dinner, Wed October 1st?
 
Well, fall is falling here. Grey, 58 today is as high as we're getting.

I actually have a plan for once!
Beer can chicken in the oven, mashed taters and GRAVY!
I think I have some frozen green beans somewhere...

How about you?

jabbur 10-01-2008 11:49 AM

I'm by myself tonight and have a lasagne in the freezer I've been craving with garlic bread. If I cook it to eat around 7:30pm it will be okay for DH when he gets home at 8:00pm.

pdswife 10-01-2008 11:50 AM

We are going to a friends for dinner. He's one of the "GREAT" cooks!!!

I know he's making fish ( I'm sure it'll be a Persian recipe) not sure what else.

I'm bringing a pecan pie cake.

JillBurgh 10-01-2008 12:00 PM

Hi everybody!

That Pecan Pie Cake recipe looks yummy...

No dinner for me Tues/Wed/Thurs anymore, just an energy bar and Starbucks (can't resist Pumpkin Spice, but there is a new one: Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate, I'll hafta add a shot of 'spresso).

...First semester of grad school.. Dual degree.. full-time school/full-time work..:blink:

NO TIME FOR COOKING OR GROCERIES:sad::cry: Boo hooo. Never realized how much I love strolling down the grocery aisles, just me and my thoughts. Miss all y'all at DC too:in_love:

GotGarlic 10-01-2008 12:17 PM

Wow, Jill. Good luck - that's a heavy load.

It's Wednesday dinner out night - we're going to a place that serves Asian-inspired tapas. Each of us buys a few and we all share :smile:

*amy* 10-01-2008 01:07 PM

Oktoberfest dinner. Beef roulade smeared w mustard and wrapped up with bacon & onions, potato pancakes w sour cream & apple sauce, sauerkraut, baked maple apples with vanilla ice cream. The sides folks are bringing - brats, buns, beer & whatever else they wish to grill. It's gonna be about 100 deg again today so, looking forward to the grillin & chillin by the pool. Considered spaetzle & red potato sald, but think it might be too much starch.

GrantsKat 10-01-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *amy* (Post 696286)
Oktoberfest dinner. Beef roulade smeared w mustard and wrapped up with bacon & onions, potato pancakes w sour cream & apple sauce, sauerkraut, baked maple apples with vanilla ice cream. The sides folks are bringing - brats, buns, beer & whatever else they wish to grill. It's gonna be about 100 deg again today so, looking forward to the grillin & chillin by the pool. Considered spaetzle & red potato sald, but think it might be too much starch.


OMGoodness!! That is definitely going on my "to make" list for next week!! Maybe even this weekend:pig: yummy!!!

GrantsKat 10-01-2008 01:16 PM

Here ya go suz:wink:I was going to make beer butt chicken today, but with not feeling well I was leary about trying something new, so......
I have a chicken roasting in the oven with a "grilling blends" rub. Im making oven roasted zucchini & yellow squash which will have s & p, evoo, parm cheese & basil (dried:mad:)on them
Im either making mashed taters or double baked! If I have time later, Ill make GRK's oatmeal/banana cookies:pig:

suziquzie 10-01-2008 01:20 PM

sounds good GK!!
if I could stop chatting I would bake something!!!!
:)

bethzaring 10-01-2008 01:30 PM

left over pork chops and sweet potatoes

i've been raiding the garden, think we could have our first frost soon, just brought in a basket of tomatoes, so will also make

Tuscan Tomato and Bread Salad

LEFSElover 10-01-2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabbur (Post 696216)
I'm by myself tonight and have a lasagne in the freezer I've been craving with garlic bread. If I cook it to eat around 7:30pm it will be okay for DH when he gets home at 8:00pm.

ooooooh, come join me...............since it's just me tonight,hubby's gone on a working trip to east coast, it'll be a simple and simply delicious salad, my favorite thing to eat on hot nights.
lemon vanilla iced tea along with.

you guys and your beer butt chicken. sheeesh! apparently I'm the only one allergic to beer in this joint ;(

roadfix 10-01-2008 01:46 PM

It's my turn to cook tonight. I've got some country style pork ribs defrosting. Easy recipe I snatched on-line.

babetoo 10-01-2008 01:59 PM

left over rib eye steak. going to slice it up and make a stir fry with plum sauce. did this last week with chicken and just loved it. :chef:

getoutamykitchen 10-01-2008 02:02 PM

Chicken Velvet Soup

David Cottrell 10-01-2008 02:26 PM

Cabbage rolls - Ukrainian Cabbage rolls, except I always cook them in chicken broth. What else I'm not sure. Noodles n something, that's why I'm here right now! :)

elaine l 10-01-2008 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziquzie (Post 696212)
Well, fall is falling here. Grey, 58 today is as high as we're getting.

I actually have a plan for once!
Beer can chicken in the oven, mashed taters and GRAVY!
I think I have some frozen green beans somewhere...

How about you?

I guess I finally have to ask...what is beer can chicken?


For this family, I am "throwing" together a casserole with chicken, cheese, broccoli, pasta and stuffing top. The gang is so large I feel like I am cooking for a small army.

pacanis 10-01-2008 02:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by elaine l (Post 696402)
I guess I finally have to ask...what is beer can chicken?


For this family, I am "throwing" together a casserole with chicken, cheese, broccoli, pasta and stuffing top. The gang is so large I feel like I am cooking for a small army.

Just what it sounds like :smile: but you don't have to use beer. Typically cooked on a grill with indirect heat. You can by the little can rack at Walmart.
Here's one I did last week (I think it was) about 45 minutes into the cooking time.

Tonight I am having beef and barley soup, with garlic bread :smile:

elaine l 10-01-2008 02:58 PM

I still don't get the beer can part...:ermm::unsure::unsure:

pacanis 10-01-2008 03:04 PM

You plop the chicken down on the can, half filled with whatever you like. I like Dr Pepper. The juice bubbling away really makes the chicken moist.

elaine l 10-01-2008 03:15 PM

I must say that is a fine looking chicken that you made! I guess I will try it. Dr. Pepper? Interesting.

suziquzie 10-01-2008 03:18 PM

yup elaine.... use whatever you have around....
wine (usually white)
beer
cola or dr pepper..
today I do believe the kids juice is grape something... thats all I have so thats what I'm using, just rinsed out a soda can.
it doesn't matter what you use really, it doesn't flavor alot.... just keeps it nice n juicy.

miniman 10-01-2008 03:21 PM

cumberland rings and pasta in a tomato & onion sauce.

pacanis 10-01-2008 03:24 PM

Thanks Elaine. I like the "darker" (I call it) taste better than the sweeter taste of beer or white pop, but the secret is in the rub.... I get my preferred spices together, then add just enough worcestershire sauce to make it into a paste. Even my father has started doing that, and that's sayin' sumpin' :lol:

JohnL 10-01-2008 03:33 PM

Damp and rainy here today,
Sooo, I'm thinking stuffed green peppers tonight. I harvested 8 of them from the garden on Monday, so I'd like to use them while they're fresh.

luvs 10-01-2008 03:38 PM

pasta again!!! i love pasta. i also am roasting carrots. an apple instead of a salad as an 'appy' & crumb cake fer dessert.

Constance 10-01-2008 04:46 PM

A girlfriend of mine was in town today, and DH took us to Applebee's for lunch. I had a Perfect Margarita, a couple slices of chicken quesadilla, and shrimp and broccoli Fettucini Alfredo. Everything was really good today, and I have enough fettucini left for when I get hungry again. I'm still so full I can hardly move.

love2"Q" 10-01-2008 04:48 PM

going to grill a pork tenderloin .. and some red potatoes ..
i have a craving for some broccoli .. but think i will
go for a salad ...

Toots 10-01-2008 04:59 PM

Feta stuffed chicken breasts, corn on the cob and sliced tomatoes.

homecook 10-01-2008 05:24 PM

I got my new stove top and oven installed today. Yippee!!

I'm making meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy and kernel corn.

Barb

texasgirl 10-01-2008 07:02 PM

Ol-Blue's Creamy Chicken Roulades and mac and cheese.
This chicken is GOOD!!!

Maverick2272 10-01-2008 07:39 PM

Soup left over from last night, I haven't eaten yet not hungry.

TanyaK 10-02-2008 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 696415)
Just what it sounds like :smile: but you don't have to use beer. Typically cooked on a grill with indirect heat. You can by the little can rack at Walmart.
Here's one I did last week (I think it was) about 45 minutes into the cooking time.

Tonight I am having beef and barley soup, with garlic bread :smile:

WOW - this looks great! I'm doing this as soon as I can find a wire rack somewhere (we don't have a Walmart here) Looks like a fine balancing act- regardless of the rack - my chicken will probably fall over :ermm:

pacanis 10-02-2008 06:55 AM

I've seen them done without the rack, balancing the chicken on three points, the two legs and the can. The rack just makes it easier. And thank you.
This is the only way I make a whole chicken. I am thankful somebody came up with it.

*amy* 10-02-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantsKat (Post 696294)
OMGoodness!! That is definitely going on my "to make" list for next week!! Maybe even this weekend:pig: yummy!!!

Thanks, GK. Enjoy!

https://img374.imageshack.us/img374/889/26253nk3.gif

*amy* 10-02-2008 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Cottrell (Post 696394)
Cabbage rolls - Ukrainian Cabbage rolls, except I always cook them in chicken broth. What else I'm not sure. Noodles n something, that's why I'm here right now! :)

Mmmmm, haven't had stuffed cabbage in ages. Wish I could make it like my Hungarian Grandma. Think she served it with boiled or mashed potatoes, beets or Borscht, horseradish etc. Need to make a batch real soon. Thanks for the inspiration, David.

getoutamykitchen 10-02-2008 12:00 PM

Chicken PC Casserole, the PC stands for potato chip!

LEFSElover 10-03-2008 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Cottrell (Post 696394)
Cabbage rolls - Ukrainian Cabbage rolls, except I always cook them in chicken broth. What else I'm not sure. Noodles n something, that's why I'm here right now! :)

okay, care to post that, I am almost visibly drooling here.
Quote:

Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen (Post 696355)
Chicken Velvet Soup

can we get that out of you, the recipe for this please, the name sends me over..........

PattY1 10-03-2008 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen (Post 696355)
Chicken Velvet Soup


Chicken Velvet Soup????
Sounds intresting. Care to share the recpie? Please.

LEFSElover 10-03-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattY1 (Post 697303)
Chicken Velvet Soup????
Sounds intresting. Care to share the recpie? Please.

let's bombard him or her :huh: Patty, maybe we can get it!

pacanis 10-03-2008 09:56 AM

I'm in. The "velvet" has me intrigued.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.