Can I substitute rice wine vinegar for white?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sedagive

Senior Cook
white vinegar? I'm going to make coleslaw and the recipe calls for half of a tablespoon of white vinegar. I only have rice wine vinegar and don't want to buy a bottle of white vinegar when I need such a small amount.

Sedagive.

No white vinegar for me

:chef: I've read and heard that one should never use distilled white vinegar in your cooking, salads, or baking. Save it it for cleaning purposes. :chef:

IMO, white vinegar is fine for cooking, as for me I use it for cleaning my coffee maker. I prefer white wine vinegar, white balsamic or rice wine vinegar over plain white vinegars.

I use apple cider vinegar in the slaw recipe I follow.
White is preferred for masking dog urine stains in carpetting though :)

I've read and heard that one should never use distilled white vinegar in your cooking, salads, or baking. Save it it for cleaning purposes.

I'm with GotGarlic on this ... where did you read or hear such a thing?

Distilled White Vinegar:

1) Has a known acid level (5%) - required in canning & pickling
2) Has no alcohol (if it's not distilled - it contains some residual alcohol)
3) Has no "derivative" flavor(s) from wine, etc.
4) Actually called for in some recipes (see #3 above) - like Red Velvet Cake.

Just because you can use it for other things doesn't negate it's uses in cooking - like WATER!

:chef: I've read and heard that one should never use distilled white vinegar in your cooking, salads, or baking. Save it it for cleaning purposes. :chef:
And where exactly have you read that?? I use it for cooking and cleaning. Granted, the cleaning is just adding some to baking soda in the sink to freshen the drains. I've never heard anyone say don't use it in cooking.

Well, I used the rice wine vinegar and the coleslaw came out great. I was looking for a Tony Roma's coleslaw clone and it was pretty darn close.

IMO rice wine vinegar will actually be a wonderful enhancement for the cabbage in the slaw.

I've been making my MIL's famous cole slaw all my life. The kids always ask for it, even the finicky one. < He hates mayo and cabbage and tomatoes. I've used lemon or lime juice, all kinds of vinegar too, just according to what I have on hand, plus used honey in place of sugar, so anything goes with a basic recipe.
But here, you'll see what you were looking for.
And in case you don't like that particular one, try this page.

Regular white vinegar is very harsh and lots of people don't like that.

Rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar is mild and neutral in flavor.

They can be subbed for one another unless specific acid content is critical to what you are making. Like when you are using baking soda.

I've been making my MIL's famous cole slaw all my life. The kids always ask for it, even the finicky one. < He hates mayo and cabbage and tomatoes. I've used lemon or lime juice, all kinds of vinegar too, just according to what I have on hand, plus used honey in place of sugar, so anything goes with a basic recipe.
But here, you'll see what you were looking for.
And in case you don't like that particular one, try this page.

Thanks for the link, LEFSElover, but that first link isn't really Tony Roma's recipe for coleslaw (even though it says it is). Tony Roma's isn't a vinegar based coleslaw and besides, 4 pounds of sugar plus a whole gallon of vinegar for only 3 heads of cabbage just sounds wrong. I found what apparently is a very close copy of Tony Roma's recipe here:

Coleslaw Recipe at Cooking Dude

I let it sit in the fridge for a few hours so the flavors had a chance to get to know each other and it tasted almost identical to Tony Roma's. It was great on the pulled pork sangwiches.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom