Help me make fried sweet potato chips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
In short, a favorite flavor combo of mine is sweet potato with a hint of lemon and a twist of ground pepper.

As an accompaniment I thinly slice sweet potatoes; brush with ether oil with a bit lemon oil, or lemon juice; arange them on a baking platter so that they overlap one another; I bake then finish with some freshly ground pepper.

I've been looking to make these into crisps (potato chips) but slicing them thiner, brushing them with oil, and baking them; results have been marginal: not very crispy. Is there a way to impart the crispness of deep fried foods on vegtables without deep-frying them? It's maybe vanity, but I'd prefer to avoid the extra calories from trying a deep fry.

Slice the potatoes about 1/8-inch thick, or thinner, pat dry and brush with oil (not lemon juice) - place in a single layer on baking sheets (do NOT overlap) and bake at 500ºF for 15-20 minutes.

Thanks. I'll give it another go tomorrow. Do you think I can squeeze or brush a bit of lemon juice after they come out of the oven; and if I grate the pepper just after, will it stick to the chips?

cheers,

Maybe, instead of lemon juice, you could use lemon zest? The juice would make the chips soggy, but the zest wouldn't.

Grate some lemon zest into the oil - bring it up to the point you see the surface of the oil "shimmer" - cut the heat off, put a lid on the pot, and let it steep for about 30-45 minutes (until cooled off to room temp). You will then have lemon flavored oil. Use that to brush on your 'tater slices - forget the lemon juice! You could then sprinkle with pepper before baking or immediately after removing from the oven.

Or - after brushing with oil, and before baking - sprinkle the 'tater slices with some "lemon pepper" - or immediately after removing from the oven.

That's a couple of ideas ....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom