Ignoring members.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had to use the ignore feature once because a new member was harassing me one evening. I don't know if she was drunk, or just feeling mean, but I shut her off. After a few days, I turned "ignore" off, and haven't been bothered any more.

It basically just makes members posts invisible to you FM. If there is someone who rubs you the wrong way and you just would rather not see anything they post then you put them on your ignore list and their posts will not show up for you. I am not sure if it does the same for PM's, but I think it does.

Well that does certainly explain alot......I didn't know this feature existed:ermm: Isn't there a better way to handle the situation if you have an issue with someone? Esp. if the other person is not even aware there was a situation to begin with?? Sounds pretty cold and imature IMHO :(

Who says the other person is not aware of the situation Deelady? the times I have seen it used have been between members who have fought back and forth for a while both on the board and in PM. When they could not resolve the problems they had then one or both decided to put the other on ignore. It can be a very mature way of handling the situation instead of continual fighting.

This is just one tool at your disposal. Most people will never use it or even have a reason to know it exists. Our site, for the most part, is comprised of people who get along and treat each other well. If there is ever a time when someone is not treating you with that respect then you have the option of ignoring them if you want.

No, mods/admins do not have any access to other members PM's at all. PM stands for Private Message and they are most certainly private. The only way a staff member would see a PM is if someone sent it to them on purpose.

Now I am curious...What about my post made you curious? I am just asking because I want to make sure I am being as clear as possible when posting things like this so if I misled or made the issue cloudy in some way I would love to know so that I can make sure that does not happen again.

the times I have seen it used have been between members who have fought back and forth for a while both on the board and in PM.

From your later post, it seems that someone sent you the PM's to look at without that information, I think one could surmise that the PM's were viewable.

Just a curiosity, not a concern. One should not put anything on the internet that tyey do nto seen. As you pointed out most anything can be forwarded.

AC

Who says the other person is not aware of the situation Deelady? the times I have seen it used have been between members who have fought back and forth for a while both on the board and in PM. When they could not resolve the problems they had then one or both decided to put the other on ignore. It can be a very mature way of handling the situation instead of continual fighting.

This is just one tool at your disposal. Most people will never use it or even have a reason to know it exists. Our site, for the most part, is comprised of people who get along and treat each other well. If there is ever a time when someone is not treating you with that respect then you have the option of ignoring them if you want.

Of course I agree if they have been going back and forth that is a different situation but I honestly feel there have been people here ignored and most likely more and have no idea as to why. I have seen plenty of conversations in threads where someone tries to participate and it is as if that person never said a thing. As for the time difference thing I don't agree that might be the problem because I have seen people post with in minutes of each other and its as if they weren't even there. Of course I know there are exceptions but I do think it happens....and too often at that.
I for one have first hand seen this by way of PM's and public messages. I thought at first certain individuals just were not receiving my PM's due to technical errors but then I would post a public message and still no response, yet it is clear they have signed on many times since the message was sent and have posted regularly.:ermm: I try to really give people the benifit of the doubt but after so long you have to call it how you see it...
I do agree with you GB that for the most part there are some wonderful people on this sight and that is why I do not hesitate in returning on a daily basis.

Of course I agree if they have been going back and forth that is a different situation but I honestly feel there have been people here ignored and most likely more and have no idea as to why. I have seen plenty of conversations in threads where someone tries to participate and it is as if that person never said a thing. As for the time difference thing I don't agree that might be the problem because I have seen people post with in minutes of each other and its as if they weren't even there. Of course I know there are exceptions but I do think it happens....and too often at that.
I for one have first hand seen this by way of PM's and public messages. I thought at first certain individuals just were not receiving my PM's due to technical errors but then I would post a public message and still no response, yet it is clear they have signed on many times since the message was sent and have posted regularly.:ermm: I try to really give people the benifit of the doubt but after so long you have to call it how you see it...
I do agree with you GB that for the most part there are some wonderful people on this sight and that is why I do not hesitate in returning on a daily basis.

That's what I was trying to say Dee, but you said it more better :ermm: :LOL:

I belong to one forum which I only visit now when I really need info, as it does contain a lot of useful info. You could plainly see that the moderators were the only ones that thought themselves "worthy" of giving newcomers advice. I rarely notice that here, but you are right, sometimes it does seem someone's post is getting talked over, as if it didn't exist. I kind of write it off as someone reading the OP's post and then replying without seeing if their question was already answered..... most of the time ;)

And AC, some forums the admins can see PMs.
This one seems to know that PMs have been sent, as you usually see a followup post saying to ignore the PM and that that member was banned. Whether or not they can see the content or not.... :huh:
So be careful who you talk about :LOL:

Very few people, to my knowledge, use the ignore feature. Most do not even realize it even exists (as this thread is evidence of). There are many reason which are much more likely that people do not answer others posts and many of those reasons are very innocent.

I am sure that the software could be configured so that admins or mods could read your PM's. The software we use is very robust. Andy R. is the one who would have to turn that one and I can assure you he takes your privacy very seriously. He sees no reason at all way we would ever need to read anyone's PM and the staff here all agree with that.

Is there a way to ignore a whole thread?

I remember SuziQ asking that before and the answer was no. I think she was specifically looking for a way to hit New Posts, but not have ones she was uninterested in show up.

PDS Wife - The ones that don't interest me, or are getting "Fuzzy" I just don't open. I do not think that you can just ignore a thread.

So far as DC - It is a breath of fresh air in an environment that can often get "ugly". The people here by and large are very social and considerate. the Mods / Admins keep many things away from the forums that get "ugly". I gladly visit here every day, multiple times.

Pacanis - since I am a "techie" I visit a lot of computer hardware forums. While I need the info and there are some good people there, I definately run across lots of the "Thou aret not worthy knave." types. 45 years and still counting in the business, I still love it, at times in spite of it.

besides teasing someone and not getting a response, is there a way for us to tell if a member has you on their ignore list?

at first, i'd feel that it would be a waste of time to try to respond to their threads.

but then again, it could be fun. it would be like making fun of someone in a foreign language.

No, Buckytom, I did not put you on my ignore list! Not that I didn't think about it once.......:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom