Raccoon got into my soup!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QSis

Washing Up
I was cooling a big pot of delicious chicken stock on my patio when my brother started yelling.

A raccoon had gotten into the pot and had been helping himself.

I spent all day making this stock. Will I be safe if I boil it and use it for my chicken noodle soup?

Lee

I don't think so - what if the raccoon had rabies?!!

what a bizzarre thing - too bad you didnt snap a pix of it. The poor raccoon probably thought it had won the lottery.

No way! I wouldn't let the raccoon have it either, don't want to encourage raccoon by feeding him, having him invade your garbage cans is enough trouble. And they are real rabies carriers in the south, don't know about Boston. My brother-in-law got bitten and had to go through the whole rigamarole. Not what it used to be in the olden days, but a real pain anyway.

It's a shame the way the poor old masked prowler is so shunned these days. Canadian geese and deer are also less highly regarded than they used to be. Maybe the wild tukey will become the next public enemy?

I would definitely toss that.

And it doesn't mean you are "shunning" the coon :rolleyes:
Feel free. :)

Yeah, I figured you guys would tell me to toss about 5 quarts of that liquid gold.

Bummer.

Did I mention that it took me most of the day to make it???

Okay, it's gone.

Sigh

Lee

It's a shame the way the poor old masked prowler is so shunned these days. Canadian geese and deer are also less highly regarded than they used to be. Maybe the wild turkey will become the next public enemy?
ICA ~ it's their land, we invaded it.

No, I wouldn't eat the stock. Yes, I'd let the raccoon have it. You put it out in his territory, it's not his fault he thought he hit the lottery. It's just mean to take it away and treat him like he did something wrong. It's his nature to find food and live. Terrorizing him is not nice. Sorry, I'm just on nature's side when it comes to things like this. They were hear first. It's their world, I just live in it.

Okay, I have to add ~ chicken stalk shouldn't take all day to make. It's a rather simple process.

I have to disagree-If I remember my "Beverly hillbillies" Granny Clampett served raccoon soup on a regular basis-and Jethro loved it!!!:LOL:

Sorry! I have to agree with callisto. Go ahead and let the racoon have it, at least that would be better then letting it go to waist. :)

ICA ~ it's their land, we invaded it.
I am not sure how you came to that conclusion. We share this earth with the other animals. It was not theirs and we invaded any more than it is ours and they invaded. This earth belongs to all the creatures that inhabit it equally.

I would toss the soup. You have no idea what might be in there now. there are just too many unknowns.

I would not give it to the animals because that would just encourage them to seek it out again and then you would have a larger problem on your hands.

I am not sure how you came to that conclusion. We share this earth with the other animals. It was not theirs and we invaded any more than it is ours and they invaded. This earth belongs to all the creatures that inhabit it equally.
Since the answer to that is political, religious, and current events, I can't exactly answer that here without a major violation of the rules.

Fair enough. It would probably be going off topic anyway so it is best we stick to the soup question as it stands.

Boiling it will not make it safe. That's the rule for all foods.

And I wouldn't let the racoon have it. If you do, you will be encouraging it to view your house as his restaurant and he will likely stick around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom