Cast Iron Pan - Black Residue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muzzlet

Senior Cook
I know there have been many discussions about cast iron on this board, but I haven't seen this particular issue: I bought a Lodge cast iron skillet, supposedly pre-seasoned. I have only used it a couple of times, to brown ground beef. I never use soap, only hot water and a copper scrubbie pad. I then heat it on the stovetop to dry. I then wipe a thin layer of cooking oil (as I was told to do), but everytime, the paper towel I use for the oil comes back black. Like some residue is coming off. Did I scrub too hard? Is it still safe to cook in? Thank you for your help.

Did you season the pan?? Pre-Seasoned does not mean it's seasoned well. If you did not/have not done this then...Clean the pan well...and go through the seasoning process at least twice...three times would be better....Then start using your pan.

What Bob said.

Scrub it out with soap and hot water. Dry it and then season it.

Also, vegetable oil can get gummy (and rancid). You might consider not wiping it after you dry it.

I would suggest following the directions already given. I don't oil my CI after cleaning it but will put a light layer of oil on just before using it until I get it well seasoned.

I get a little black on the paper towel I wipe mine out with when I'm done cleaning. I don't worry about it, but that's just me.

On a sidenote; Copper scrubby thing? I wouldn't use disimilar metals to wipe each other out with, and certainly not something you are trying to get a finish on, but that's just me, too. I'm in the course salt and paper towel club. And after rinsing with hot water I set it on a burner, let it get warm, and give it a very thin coat of canola. One that sucks in as the pot dries.

I know there have been many discussions about cast iron on this board, but I haven't seen this particular issue: I bought a Lodge cast iron skillet, supposedly pre-seasoned. I have only used it a couple of times, to brown ground beef. I never use soap, only hot water and a copper scrubbie pad. I then heat it on the stovetop to dry. I then wipe a thin layer of cooking oil (as I was told to do), but everytime, the paper towel I use for the oil comes back black. Like some residue is coming off. Did I scrub too hard? Is it still safe to cook in? Thank you for your help.

I'm willing to bet you didn't read the "care" tag on the pan. Lodge has preseasoned this pan and it requires no further seasoning. What you are getting is the residue that is left from the factory seasoning and probably a coating that is used to protect the iron. You have to scrub ALL Lodge CI pans with soap and hot water before using so that you scrub away the black coating.

If you are using a preseasoned pan that's all you need to do. They have done the seasoning for you.

If you have raw cast iron then you have to season it after scrubbing with hot soapy water.

If you have any doubts, call Lodge Mfg. 423-837-7181
Ask for customer service. It's worth the few cents the call will cost you.

I'm willing to bet you didn't read the "care" tag on the pan. Lodge has preseasoned this pan and it requires no further seasoning. What you are getting is the residue that is left from the factory seasoning and probably a coating that is used to protect the iron. You have to scrub ALL Lodge CI pans with soap and hot water before using so that you scrub away the black coating.

If you are using a preseasoned pan that's all you need to do. They have done the seasoning for you.

If you have raw cast iron then you have to season it after scrubbing with hot soapy water.

If you have any doubts, call Lodge Mfg. 423-837-7181
Ask for customer service. It's worth the few cents the call will cost you.
I agree with DQ about thoroughly washing most any new pot or pan before first use. However, following is Lodge's Use&Care Instructions:

“Seasoned.
Ready to use.” ????

Use and Care for Lodge Logic TM
Your new Lodge Logic cast iron cookware can last more than a lifetime with the proper care. Here’s how to do it:

1. Rinse with hot water (do not use soap) and dry thoroughly
2. Before cooking, prepare the cooking surface by oiling or spraying with Pam. Avoid putting a cold utensil onto a very hot burner.
3. After cooking clean utensil with a stiff brush and hot water. Using soap is not recommended, and harsh detergents should never be used,. Avoid putting hot utensil into cold water. Thermal shock can cause metal to warp or crack.
4. Towel dry immediately and apply a light coat of Pam or vegetable oil while utensil is still warm.
5. Store in a cool, dry place. If you have a lid for your utensil, place a folded paper towel between the lid and the utensil to allow air to circulate.
6. ….”

Back
Top Bottom