Shrimp Nubs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
I'm chopping shrimp and I thought of this.

I realize not everyone likes shrimp, but for those who do, you may find this amusing.

When ordering/preparing shrimp that has the tail left on, do you eat the meat or just bite it off where the shell begins? DH use to do this leaving tasty meat behind and it drove me nuts! How could you let that go to waste????

I have even met folks who eat the shell and all, specially on fried shrimp. I just gently bite near the end where the tail fan starts and remove the meat that way. If that does not work... I'm peelin that bad boy!!!

I'm like you Sattie & Uncle Bob, I try to pull the meat out. If that fails, I crack the shell and extract it that way - I don't want to waste it.

Oh, Oh. Sattie is having "cravings", I think. It's a sign!
cartoon_pregnant_woman_01.gif

I do what UB does.

I definately have shrimp on my mind! I have made at least 3..... um, 4 posts about it now!!! :LOL:

Way back when, when I ate fried & breaded shrimp and didn't know there was meat in there, I would leave it. When I discovered there was meat in that area I soon became a tail pincher :ohmy:

It all depends for me. Usually I will try to get every last bit out. If I am at an affair and am dressed nice and have a drink in one hand and an appetizer dish in the other then I will usually bite it off and leave the last bit in the shell so I can stay as clean as possible. I will also not go digging if the shrimp are in a dish with sauce like shrimp fra diavlo or something like that.

When I can do the pinch method as UB mentioned, without getting all sloppy, then I will.

Does anyone know there's meat in the little fan section of lobster tail too? Also in the legs. You just have to knead it out with your teeth,
See that little non-see thru part. It's meat.

By CHRISTINE STAPLETON
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, August 07, 2008
Federal officials have arrested a commercial fisherman believed to be the largest lobster poacher in the Florida Keys after finding 6,000 lobster tails in freezers at the man's million-dollar home on Cudjoe Key.
David Dreifort, 41, was arrested Wednesday, the opening day of lobster season, and charged with harvesting about 140 pounds of spiny lobsters - a small portion of those found - out of season. He reportedly lured them to cinder-block habitats he created in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.
It was almost $10,000.00 worth! Sold at auction for undisclosed amount!

I would NEVER let any of that lobset meat go to waste quicksilver, not matter how small. Also if you crack open the body there are the parts where the legs attach. If you break into those there is a good amount of delicious meat. What I am doing with a lobster there is a teensy pile of shell, and nothing else left.

Does anyone know there's meat in the little fan section of lobster tail too? Also in the legs. You just have to knead it out with your teeth,
See that little non-see thru part. It's meat.

By CHRISTINE STAPLETON
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, August 07, 2008
Federal officials have arrested a commercial fisherman believed to be the largest lobster poacher in the Florida Keys after finding 6,000 lobster tails in freezers at the man's million-dollar home on Cudjoe Key.
David Dreifort, 41, was arrested Wednesday, the opening day of lobster season, and charged with harvesting about 140 pounds of spiny lobsters - a small portion of those found - out of season. He reportedly lured them to cinder-block habitats he created in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary.
It was almost $10,000.00 worth! Sold at auction for undisclosed amount!

Oh yea... I definately won't let that go to waste. DH just stares at me when I am eating crab legs or lobster... it is like a diamond hunt for me. No shell left unturned!!!

I would NEVER let any of that lobset meat go to waste quicksilver, not matter how small. Also if you crack open the body there are the parts where the legs attach. If you break into those there is a good amount of delicious meat. What I am doing with a lobster there is a teensy pile of shell, and nothing else left.

Amen to that GB!!!! I'm with ya!

I agree!! I always find it unbelievable how many people are either sadly ignorant or too lazy to really do justice to a lobster! I'm lucky in that my husband just isn't interested in picking the body, nor does he like the tomalley or roe - so when I cook lobsters for us, I end up with bonus parts - lol!!!

I agree!! I always find it unbelievable how many people are either sadly ignorant or too lazy to really do justice to a lobster! I'm lucky in that my husband just isn't interested in picking the body, nor does he like the tomalley or roe - so when I cook lobsters for us, I end up with bonus parts - lol!!!

Okaaaay.... label me one of the two, or both, but I enjoy eating, not digging for gold dust. If I can't snap a lobster leg and easily pull the meat out, I'm fine enjoying the mother lode. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom