Changing some Thanksgiving Tradition?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PattY1

Washing Up
Is any one besides me thinking of changing up the menu this year? I have a granddaughter who is a vegetation and a son who will only eat Corn, Peas and Green Beans. So I was thinking of adding "Glorified Cauliflour" (I think it is called) to expand what my granddaughter will eat. With it covered in cheese, the other children, I hope will go for it. Also instead of plain ole dinner rolls, I am going with Herb Dinner Rolls. I am also thinking of forgoing the Pumpkin Pie and going with Pear and Apple pies. Not everyone eats Pumpkin anyway.

I am interested in hearing any ideas anyone is willing to share. TIA

I would have a violent revolt here if I didn't serve the exact same stuff we have every year. I don't know why, but my kids are freaks about that. But I am going to add a few new things this year to see if eventually I can mix it up a little. babe too mentioned wanting to find some Native American recipes for her Thanksgiving dinner and I fell in love with the idea. So I'm going to make fry bread and and acorn squash with honey.

Like Fisher's Mom, the traditional menu here actually is written in stone. You can add, but you can never take away.

Most likely, we'll only be 5 people this year which does offer one big change...Lou and I are going to the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade this year. Dinner will be a bit later than usual.

we usually have the same thing but my mom changes them around in prep styles and yeah she gets flax for it.

if your unsure of how it will be preceived maybe try making the favs and then adding a new dish or 2.

thanksgiving is a very big deal.

Or do what my family does and change the day of the holiday.

Our thanksgiving is this sunday the 16th. Tahts when we can get everyone together sicne we have weird work schedules. then we have the normal thanksgiving if who ever is off and usually end up at an inlaws house

the only tradition for Thanksgiving at our house is that we share the meal with friends or neighbors. The menu depends entirely on what needs to be eaten, what did well in the garden. I don't buy any groceries for the meal, so the menu will vary from year to year.

what I have been trying to change is the gluttony associated with holiday eating. It depends on which friends we are eating with, how well that goes over...one couple, no way, every body else really appreciates it. I will serve one main meat dish and maybe 3 vegetables and a bread and a fruit based dessert. I put the emphasis on being with the guests and make a meal that allows me to do that. I cook every day of the year that I am home and don't want to put any pressure on myself to cook a whopper of a meal. I try to keep it simple and try to stay out of the kitchen!

We also don't always have the meal on the correct day, we have it to suit our schedules.

Not sure what we will do yet, but the pear pie sounds good, where did you say you live, I'm coming over. :LOL:

Since I am the sole survivor of the nuclear family and my wife's is all way out of state and scattered, and since our kids don't care what scraps they get (dogs, LOL)....
we have the luxury of cooking whatever we want for the holidays.
Last year we went traditional. This year I am thinking turkey again, perhaps with a non-traditional rub and seasonings. Gonna try an oyster stuffing I think.
(Which reminds me, we need a How to Make Fluffy Stuffing thread).
As for side dishes, haven't decided yet.
One problem is we like to have a big feast, which is hard for 2 to eat up! oink.

We stick with tradition. Roast organic free-range turkey, creamed garlic spinach, plain roasted white & sweet potatoes, the infamous green bean casserole, stuffing/dressing, & cranberry sauce. Desserts do change from year to year. Usually we're too stuffed to care.

Another ALWAYS tradition? The "Scarlett O'Hara" cocktail - Cranberry juice cocktail, fresh lime juice, & Southern Comfort.

This is the first year the whole family is vegetarian. Last year I made a whole turkey that kinda got picked at, but I threw most of it out. I talked with my family this year and no one wanted turkey, fake turkey or anything turkey like. I have some sentimental issues about that, but no one would eat it anyway.

For me the sides are what it's about anyway. I'm making mushroom stuffed pumpkins, 'sausage' stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy and, maybe, a squash & rice dish. All the normal stuff sans the turkey.

Since I am the sole survivor of the nuclear family and my wife's is all way out of state and scattered, and since our kids don't care what scraps they get (dogs, LOL)....
we have the luxury of cooking whatever we want for the holidays.
Last year we went traditional. This year I am thinking turkey again, perhaps with a non-traditional rub and seasonings. Gonna try an oyster stuffing I think.
(Which reminds me, we need a How to Make Fluffy Stuffing thread).
As for side dishes, haven't decided yet.
One problem is we like to have a big feast, which is hard for 2 to eat up! oink.

I totally misread this - thought your wife was scattered out of state. Sorry. Read it again and found it made sense.

We have a friend who lives in California who gave us a Thanksgiving meal when they over in the UK a few years back.

Have a great thanksgiving everyone

We apparently are not having pumpkin pie this year. Going to Chicago to my sister's, who has handed out assignments. The dessert assignment has turned out to be chocolate expresso pecan pie. My BIl and nephews are making it.

I think I can live w/o the pumpkin pie.

DH wants to go to his parents' in MI for the holiday, so if we do that, dinner won't be up to me. I'm pretty much a traditionalist, though. Usually when we have Thanksgiving away from home, the following weekend, I stock up and make all the main items for us anyway. And I roast a 14-lb. turkey for the two of us. I love Thanksgiving leftovers. ;)

i am having two meals this year and not cooking either one. yeah, maybe i can sit down for a change and catch up with everyone.

my son or his daughter-in-law will be doing one on the day. don't know if they want me to bring anything or not.

oldest granddaughter is having one the sunday after, work schedules. not just her mom and me, but live ins family as well. asked me to bring green beans, sweet potatoes.
corn bread stuffing. i bought a couple bottles of champaign sp. all easy dishes for me.

Being vegetarian, we are always throwing a loop in the menu. We always go to my moms, who makes the traditional turkey, cranberry sauce .... But there is always something different for us, like an eggplant parmesian , or something of that nature. and what is funny is that our stuff goes quicker than the turkey. The one year my mother bought a " tofu turkey". No, im not talking about the ' tofurkey ( which in my opinion tastes like garbage) , but this was a huge slab of tofu, in the shape of a turkey. Im not talking the anatomical shape, but as f u had one of those cut out paper turkey decorations that u tape on your window. It was the most horrible thing (almost made me crave meat) and they charged her $25 for it. No more tofu turkey for me. The eggplant is fine..

Just my little gang at my MIL's.... nobody else.
I'll bring what she tells me to.
But I really like to try out new stuff, and her husband eats anything.... so I have a thanksgiving stuffed onion I've wanted to try for years... he's an onion freak...
I may just bring a few for fun!
:)

One year, after my mom, daughter and MIL had passed, it was just my dad, me, Dh and his pop. Dad hated turkey, so I cooked a pork loin.
I have also cooked Cornish game hens or ham for Thanksgiving. I don't think it matters what you eat...it's a day to be with your loved ones and give thanks for your blessings.

i have done all the cooking for turkey day since i was 18 ..
i always make a ham and a turkey .. the sides do differ a little though ..
usually the veggies .. last year i fried the turkey .. it was fantastic ..
but thinking about smoking it this year ..

One year, after my mom, daughter and MIL had passed, it was just my dad, me, Dh and his pop. Dad hated turkey, so I cooked a pork loin.
I have also cooked Cornish game hens or ham for Thanksgiving. I don't think it matters what you eat...it's a day to be with your loved ones and give thanks for your blessings.

There you go, bringing some common sense into this thread.:LOL:
But for a lot of people, WHAT you serve is also important.

Back
Top Bottom