Just bought myself a daikon, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Im always buying new veggies, fruits .... Ive passed by the daikon again and again, but finally decided to get one. So it is now sitting in my fridge waiting for me to do something with it, any suggstions?? The only way ive ever had it was pickled as an appetizer in a chinese restaurant.

I had to google it to find out what you bought! Wikipedia has suggestions for how it is used in different cultures like Japan, India, Korea etc. Sounds like you can use it anywhere you would use a carrot or a turnip from what I read there.

grate it up for a batch of kimchee! That's what's happening to the one I just bought.
They are mild radish tasting....
Good in stir fries, raw in salads, and kim chee. That's all I have ever done with them.
hmmmm...

Daikon is a mild-flavored East Asian giant white radish. Though most widely known as daikon, the radish is also known under other names, including daikon radish, Japanese or Chinese radish, winter radish, and others.

Daikon has high water content and is very low in calories. It is rich in vitamin C, potassium and folate and a good source of magnesium.

To Prepare, scrub thoroughly with a brush under running water, peel with a peeler as you would a carrot, then dice or grate for use. Daikon (including fresh tops) can be stir-fried in a little ghee or olive oil with the spice mix recommended for your skin or body type. It can be diced and added to soups or lentils during the cooking process, or it can be cut into larger pieces or rounds and steamed, grilled or baked.

Although Daikon radishes can be eaten raw, in Japan, they are served either pickled or preserved.

the first thing that came to mind, after pickling and kimchee, was to use it in a stir fry.

Our local Japanese restaurant makes a bowl of sticky rice topped with tuna shashimi then adds a few toppings of sliced daikon, wasabi, and some shredded radish. I don't know if the daikon is pickled, but I don't think so. Drizzle on some soy sauce before digging in.

I had to google it to find out what you bought! Wikipedia has suggestions for how it is used in different cultures like Japan, India, Korea etc. Sounds like you can use it anywhere you would use a carrot or a turnip from what I read there.

Daikon really isn't anything like a turnip or a carrot (though it's called a turnip). It's the white vegetable you see as a garnish in Thai and Vietnamese restaurants.

It tastes like a radish. So sub it for something you'd use a radish in.

I prefe mine raw and crunchy.

I shred mine up with carrot and scallion and dress it up as a slaw with a fish sauce/lime juice/chili sauce dressing.

Filing for summer rolls

Sauteed

If you are up for a challenge I am posting my recipe for Mooli Paratha that is extremely popular in North India.

Back in my teenage days, my aunt used to prepare this for us during the weekends. It was a treat we all waited for and I still crave for but my weekends are normally pretty busy so I don't get around much to making this as often as I like.

Daikon - Peeled, grated and press to remove water
Put the shredded Daikon in a bowl and add the following:
1 tbsp of freshly roasted and powdered cumin
1/2 bunch of freshly chopped cilantro
1 green chili finely chopped
2 tsp aamchur powder (it's a powder of mango, you can substitute by putting in a tiny squeeze of lime juice)
salt to taste
Stir this all together and reserve

Prepare dough
3 cups of wheat flour (chapati flour is best or you can use wheat flour and white flour in equal parts)
1 tbsp of oil
Pinch of salt
Stir and add water to make a nice pliable, non-sticky dough.
Let the dough rest for an hour

Divide the flour into 6 equal parts. Roll each, fill with the daikon filling. Fold in so that the daikon filling is covered, Roll the dough until it's a size of a medium disc, be careful it will stick, sprinkle with dry flour. Repeat for all 6.

Roast them in a dry hot skillet on one side, flip and roast on the other side. Finish it by sprinkling a 2 tps of oil or little bit of butter and toasting it some more on the skillet.

Serve with some plain or sweet yogurt.

Back
Top Bottom