How do you store your cleaver?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I have a cleaver and when I had a magnetic knife holder I stored it there. Now that I use a knife block (no place to put the magnetic holder) I am not sure how to store my cleaver. I have it in a cabinet stored in the paper sleeve it came in, but that is not very convenient. I was thinking of taping the paper sleeve to the side on my knife block, but that would look horrible and probably would not last very long. How do you store yours?

GB - Is your clever one of those fairly slim ones that I see in the Japanese knife skills videos, or a thicker / heaver one. Just curious, doesn't really make a difference to the answer.

Believe it or not my clever is on my desk, home office. I actually like the knife block idea. DW gave me a knife that is about 3 - 31/2 inches wide.It does not fit in my block either. I have an intact tree trunk in my back yeard (cut down) and I am considering taking a big piece of it and making a knife block out of it that will hold all my knives. It is just so convenient to be able to reach out to the block and grab the right one.

I am fussy about where each knife goes, as I just want to reach out and grab a handle and know what I have.

Stop me if I am off topic, but, I have not found a lot of use for my clever, what do you use it for?

Mine is a heavy thick meat cleaver. I use it for hacking up bones for stock, but I have not really used it in years since I do not have it easily accessible.

Cleaver storage? Buck made a blade "cover" for each of our cleavers. They are sleeves made of heavy-duty vertical blind material. Have used this for years with no problem. The cleavers are stored on a very high area away from prying fingers. Read that "children." May be primitive, but it has worked for over 20 years.

I keep mine on my tool bench.
It's a big ole work horse from days gone by. Foster Bros model 2190. More sentimental value than anything else. I picked it up from the trash pile at the slaughterhouse when my great uncle passed. I guess the vultures didn't think that it had any monitary value. I mostly use it for splitting deer or hogs. It's heavy and works well.

The only cleaver I really care about is a vegetable chomping 220X110mm thin as a razor Moritaka. I keep it in the original box and separate from everything else and it only sees the light of day when it's time to go to work. It is carbon steel so when stored it has a light coat of mineral oil.

Buzz

I keep mine in the plastic sleeve it came in. It's tucked in back of the three crocks I have for utensils.

I have a couple of cleavers. A Chinese cleaver, which stays in a drawer mostly, and a small but heavy, thick French meat cleaver, which lays flat on top of my knife block very nicely. I have a nice, thick, end-cut maple butcher's block, maybe 14"x20", that has little feet. I think I might make a holder on the underside of that. If that happens, I will probably promote the Chinese cleaver to the top of the knife block.

GB... mine sits in a drawer. Not the best place for it, but have no place else to put the thing! I do make sure that there is nothing around the blade, that the balde will not come in contact with anything.

I have a French Feuille de Boucher made by D'Eglon (If you've ver seen the movie "Delicatessan" you'll know what style of cleaver it is).

It lives in my knife roll, which I had to specially reinforce to carry the 2 pounds of bone crushing goodness. For some odd reason my co-workers refer to it as my serial killer knife.

I think Buck came up with a great idea, Katie. I just ordered a knife and ordered a couple plastic sheaths for the blade. If I run into a plastic blind somewhere I'm going to snatch it up for future use. I'm thinking if you put two pieces of the blind like this )( and taped together the ends and the bottom so they looked like this || , then you could slip the blade in from the top and the blind would pinch it. Is that how Buck made your guys'?

Mine does not have a hole. Even if it did, with little kid fingers around here I would not want any exposed blades.

Back
Top Bottom