Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Knives (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f90/)
-   -   How do you store your cleaver? (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f90/how-do-you-store-your-cleaver-52075.html)

GB 11-13-2008 07:50 PM

How do you store your cleaver?

I have a cleaver and when I had a magnetic knife holder I stored it there. Now that I use a knife block (no place to put the magnetic holder) I am not sure how to store my cleaver. I have it in a cabinet stored in the paper sleeve it came in, but that is not very convenient. I was thinking of taping the paper sleeve to the side on my knife block, but that would look horrible and probably would not last very long. How do you store yours?

Uncle Bob 11-13-2008 07:56 PM

One of my knife blocks has a slot for a clever.....

GB 11-13-2008 07:59 PM

Thanks UB. Now I want a new block :lol:

Adillo303 11-13-2008 08:20 PM

GB - Is your clever one of those fairly slim ones that I see in the Japanese knife skills videos, or a thicker / heaver one. Just curious, doesn't really make a difference to the answer.

Believe it or not my clever is on my desk, home office. I actually like the knife block idea. DW gave me a knife that is about 3 - 31/2 inches wide.It does not fit in my block either. I have an intact tree trunk in my back yeard (cut down) and I am considering taking a big piece of it and making a knife block out of it that will hold all my knives. It is just so convenient to be able to reach out to the block and grab the right one.

I am fussy about where each knife goes, as I just want to reach out and grab a handle and know what I have.

Stop me if I am off topic, but, I have not found a lot of use for my clever, what do you use it for?

GB 11-13-2008 08:24 PM

Mine is a heavy thick meat cleaver. I use it for hacking up bones for stock, but I have not really used it in years since I do not have it easily accessible.

Katie H 11-13-2008 08:27 PM

Cleaver storage? Buck made a blade "cover" for each of our cleavers. They are sleeves made of heavy-duty vertical blind material. Have used this for years with no problem. The cleavers are stored on a very high area away from prying fingers. Read that "children." May be primitive, but it has worked for over 20 years.

GB 11-13-2008 08:29 PM

There is nothing wrong with primitive. I bet that works great Katie.

JohnL 11-13-2008 08:43 PM

I keep mine on my tool bench.
It's a big ole work horse from days gone by. Foster Bros model 2190. More sentimental value than anything else. I picked it up from the trash pile at the slaughterhouse when my great uncle passed. I guess the vultures didn't think that it had any monitary value. I mostly use it for splitting deer or hogs. It's heavy and works well.

buzzard767 11-13-2008 09:28 PM

The only cleaver I really care about is a vegetable chomping 220X110mm thin as a razor Moritaka. I keep it in the original box and separate from everything else and it only sees the light of day when it's time to go to work. It is carbon steel so when stored it has a light coat of mineral oil.

Buzz

Andy M. 11-13-2008 10:14 PM

I keep mine in the plastic sleeve it came in. It's tucked in back of the three crocks I have for utensils.

gadzooks 11-13-2008 10:45 PM

I have a couple of cleavers. A Chinese cleaver, which stays in a drawer mostly, and a small but heavy, thick French meat cleaver, which lays flat on top of my knife block very nicely. I have a nice, thick, end-cut maple butcher's block, maybe 14"x20", that has little feet. I think I might make a holder on the underside of that. If that happens, I will probably promote the Chinese cleaver to the top of the knife block.

sattie 11-13-2008 11:28 PM

GB... mine sits in a drawer. Not the best place for it, but have no place else to put the thing! I do make sure that there is nothing around the blade, that the balde will not come in contact with anything.

jpaulg 11-14-2008 04:55 AM

I have a French Feuille de Boucher made by D'Eglon (If you've ver seen the movie "Delicatessan" you'll know what style of cleaver it is).

It lives in my knife roll, which I had to specially reinforce to carry the 2 pounds of bone crushing goodness. For some odd reason my co-workers refer to it as my serial killer knife.

justplainbill 11-14-2008 06:09 AM

I keep most all cutting tools in sheaths, typically made from paper milk carton material, in a couple of kitchen drawers.

pacanis 11-14-2008 07:48 AM

I think Buck came up with a great idea, Katie. I just ordered a knife and ordered a couple plastic sheaths for the blade. If I run into a plastic blind somewhere I'm going to snatch it up for future use. I'm thinking if you put two pieces of the blind like this )( and taped together the ends and the bottom so they looked like this || , then you could slip the blade in from the top and the blind would pinch it. Is that how Buck made your guys'?

Jeekinz 11-14-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB (Post 724772)
How do you store yours?

Isn't that what the hole is for?

GB 11-14-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeekinz (Post 725072)
Isn't that what the hole is for?

What hole?

Jeekinz 11-14-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB (Post 725073)
What hole?

The hole on the end of the cleaver. You hang it on a hook.

GB 11-14-2008 09:39 AM

Mine does not have a hole. Even if it did, with little kid fingers around here I would not want any exposed blades.

Jeekinz 11-14-2008 09:44 AM

If you don't have one already, get a universal blade sheath. Then you can just store it in a drawer.

GB 11-14-2008 09:46 AM

Now we are talking. I have knife safes for my other blades. I am assuming those are similar to your universal blade sheath. I have never seen one that a cleaver would fit in. Do you have a link or an idea where I could find one?

Jeekinz 11-14-2008 09:48 AM

Just measure the blade. My Lamsons came with them but I threw them all out.

GB 11-14-2008 09:57 AM

It looks like the widest they have is 2".

Robo410 11-14-2008 10:12 AM

my cleaver fits in neither of my knife blocks. I also have a knife drawer with fitted slots and I wrap my cleaver in a pot holder and lay it on top of that. It is a tool I frequently use for whole birds, some chops, and many veg.

pacanis 11-14-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB (Post 725083)
It looks like the widest they have is 2".

It only needs to cover the edge. They are open down the length, not as if you would slide it in. At least the ones I just got are.

Jeekinz 11-14-2008 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 725099)
It only needs to cover the edge. They are open down the length, not as if you would slide it in. At least the ones I just got are.

Yeah, you don't need it to cover the whole blade (back to edge), just the edge (tip to bolster). My santoku wouldn't fit either.

sparrowgrass 11-14-2008 10:41 AM

I used to stick the blade of mine down between the stove and the counter top.

GB 11-14-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacanis (Post 725099)

Perfect! Thanks!!!

jennyema 11-14-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bob (Post 724777)
One of my knife blocks has a slot for a clever.....

Mine too. I outgrew the block that came with my knives as I added more one by one so I bought a BIG block and they all fit! I even have space for one more!:angel:

pacanis 11-15-2008 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:ohmy: