My oven died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is there anything I can't cook in a crock pot? Casseroles? I have a microwave but I haven't tried to 'cook' anything with it. Thanksgiving is days away!
Any help would be appreciated.

Aww, I am so sorry for such bad timing. Can you butterfly and grill your turkey and make your sides on the stove top?

No need to even butterfly it. The best turkey I ever had was done on a grill and it was not butterflied.

I would second the grill idea. A grill is basically an outdoor oven anyway.

Have you called an appliance repairman to have it looked at? Is it worth repairing? If you have an electric frying pan that can also be helpful for casseroles. Wal-Mart has electric roasters for around $25-$30 that you can cook the bird in. I've had the $20 model for 4 years and it works like a charm.

My condolences on your loss.

JoeV

You can use the crock pot for casseroles too, I think there was a thread on this site about different uses for the crock pot. Check crockpot.com for recipe ideas too.

Last summer, Katie E cooked dinner every day for a month in the crockpot, as an experiment. It worked out very well for her, as I recall.

In the summer, I rarely use my oven. Microwave, stove top and grill give plenty of cooking options.

Last summer, Katie E cooked dinner every day for a month in the crockpot, as an experiment. It worked out very well for her, as I recall.

In the summer, I rarely use my oven. Microwave, stove top and grill give plenty of cooking options.

Yep, you're right, GotGarlic. It was an amazing experiment and I was more than pleased with the variety afforded me. I'd do it again.

Like JoeV, I have one of those large (18-quart) electric roasters. Love it. Does a great turkey, plus I've cooked multiple sides in mine all at the same time, just separating them with wire racks.

Last edited:
Hey Bob! It is a gas oven. The pilot light won't light.

Hey there!!!

Unless your stove is very old, I doubt it has an active flame pilot light -- Have a repair person check the electronic igniter -- it's probably bad.
The part itself should run in the $70 range...Plus labor/service call...Yikes!!! (My oven has two of them) --- HTH

The very best wishes for Thanksgiving!!

I can see what I think is the igniter. It appears to be working?

I will call someone to fix it but in the meantime I will improvise.

Hope you and your wife have a Happy Thanksgiving!

I can see what I think is the igniter. It appears to be working?

I will call someone to fix it but in the meantime I will improvise.

Hope you and your wife have a Happy Thanksgiving!

The ignitor may be "glowing", but it want get "hot" enough to allow the gas valve to open causing the oven burner to light --- You might say the ignitor is weak -- worn out. Another slim possibility is low electrical voltage coming into your house --- A repair person can check that too!!!

Sounds like a good excuse to go out to dinner!!!;)

Blue Skies!

What a heck of a time for an oven to die. I wouldn't be too happy as I use mine just about every day. I hope you can find ways to improvise so your Thanksgiving isn't ruined. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

just out of curiosity i put 2 large turkeys on our outdoor grill last year and they came out beautiful and the flavor was just wonderful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom