Aush (Afghan Noodle Soup)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AND - yippee - no cinnamon, ground cloves, or other "sweet baking type" spices. I normally don't make recipes from that part of the world because so very many of them call for the above, which I definitely do not like in anything other than desserts.

Here's a question: I know that lentils cook quickly, so I assume that you just simmer them right in the soup until they're tender rather than pre-cooking them?

Here's a question: I know that lentils cook quickly, so I assume that you just simmer them right in the soup until they're tender rather than pre-cooking them?

Yes, that's what I do.

BTW, I'm in Virginia too. :)

Are you a "born & bred" or a transplant like me?

I'll definitely be making this soup this week. Not only do I have all the ingredients on hand, but I also have cooked leftover buttered whole-wheat egg noodles from Sunday's roast duck dinner that I was wondering what to do with. They should make a decent sub for the Tagliatelle. Also have a bag of mixed frozen vegetables that consist of corn, peas, carrots, & sliced green beans to cover the veggie angle. Have the lentils too!

With a salad & a nice loaf of crusty bread - Voila, perfect cold night supper!

Just a note to let you know that I made the soup for supper last night & it was absolutely DELICIOUS!! The only thing I omitted was the mint, since I'm not fond of it in savory applications, & I subbed ground turkey for the lamb. So while perhaps it wasn't "authentic", it sure was good, & I have enough leftover for a couple of lunches or snacks. Thanks again for the recipe.

Just a note to let you know that I made the soup for supper last night & it was absolutely DELICIOUS!! The only thing I omitted was the mint, since I'm not fond of it in savory applications, & I subbed ground turkey for the lamb. So while perhaps it wasn't "authentic", it sure was good, & I have enough leftover for a couple of lunches or snacks. Thanks again for the recipe.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.:)

Back
Top Bottom