Knife set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricker

Assistant Cook
Well I know I want a knive set or at least a chef knife/ paring knife. That is what I am asking for Christmas. I have been looking at the Rachel ray Furi knives. Are these good? If any one else knows of any please let me know. My budget is probly 100-120.

Furis are good for home use, but without getting all technical about the ergonomics of using them all day they're not a great professional knife.

Stick with getting the chef's knife and the paring knife, and don't worry about getting a set. The vast majority of your use will be those two knives and it's best to get a good quality pair.

Looking on Amazon there were quite a few J A Henckels chef's knife/paring knife combos available in your price range. With Henckel's you want to be looking at their 4 star, 5 star or Pro-S ranges because they do have cheaper sets available that are not up to their top standard.

Everyone has favorites and I'm sure you'll get different opinions. For what it's worth, I don't like santoku knives so the Furi knife set would be out for me. However, based on reviews, they seem to be decent (but not exceptional) quality and not bad for the price.

Personally, I prefer traditional German or French style knives, particularly when it comes to my workhorse 8" chef's knife. I also prefer the weight and balance of forged knives but they are considerably more expensive than stamped knives.

My favorites are the Wusthof Classic and Grand Prix lines and the Henckels 4 Star, 5 Star and Professional S lines. For the most part, the different lines of each manufacturer are the same except for handle design. Since good knives will give you a lifetime of service, to me it's worth paying a little more to get the best knives you can afford.

Having said that, most of the top of the line Wusthofs and Henckels may be over your budget, but not necessarily. A couple of years ago, Wusthof decided to redesign the handles on one of its top lines, the Grand Prix, and renamed them Grand Prix II. Most retailers put the original Grand Prix knives on clearance and sold them out quickly. However, there is one major internet seller, Cutlery and More, who still has a good stock and is selling them at a huge discount (60-70% off retail). Here's the link: Wusthof Grand Prix - Full Wusthof Grand Prix Knife Selection, Wusthof Grand Prix Knives, Grand Prix Cutlery on Sale .

If it was me, I'd buy the best set of these I could afford. For example you can get a 3 piece chef's knife set for $99.95, with free shipping, which includes 8" chef's and carving knives and a 3.5" paring knife. They also have a 6 piece block set at the same price, but it has a 6" chef's knife rather than an 8" and I don't recommend it.

Your other alternatives, to stay in budget, would be:
1. Lesser quality (but good) forged knives such as these Calaphalons: Amazon.com: Calphalon Everyday Cutlery 14pc Set: Kitchen & Dining , or
2. High quality stamped knives such as these Forschner/Victorinox knives: Amazon.com: R.H. Forschner by Victorinox 8-Piece Knife Block Set: Kitchen & Dining

Which ever knives you choose, keep them sharp. If you don't have good sharpening skills and equipment, for the price you can't do better than this: Amazon.com: Lansky 4-rod Turn Box Crock Stick Sharpener (LCD5D): Sports & Outdoors

And one of the retail sites I was recently on was offering a free paring knife with the purchase of certain Henckels knives.

ETA; This was referencing jpaul's post.

Thanks guys I was looking just asking here but them emerilware knives look the same as Wusthof, Grand Prix. But I am sure they are made different.

The Emerilware knives are totally different from the Grand Prix. They are much lower quality, stamped knives. If you're going to buy stamped knives, the Forschner/Victorinox knives are better quality and a better buy than the Emerilware.

No I was just wondering. Ya I will show my mom the grand prix they are nice. Just got to get my dad into getting them for me my mom knows but my dad thinks a knife is a knife. :wacko:

can someone point me to knives 101 or share some basic info regarding what knife/knives I should be using; also what makes them different? I am totally clueless here.

The links posted by Buzzard are great, among the best I know of on the internet, but may contain a lot more info than you want or need at this point. Here's a very basic guide that I think is pretty good: Kitchen Knife Buying Guide.

My suggestion is to do a little reading from the sites Buzzard recommended or from the site I've listed, then ask some more specific questions based on your needs and interests. There are a lot of us here who are willing to help.

can someone point me to knives 101 or share some basic info regarding what knife/knives I should be using; also what makes them different? I am totally clueless here.

At the most basic level, as Buzzard has pointed out, there's no real point in buying a good quality knife if you're not prepared to put in the time and effort to hone (re-align the edge) and sharpen (grind a new edge).

From there the biggest question is Japanese German or French. The German style knives are probably the easiest for non knife afficiandos to use. Japanese knives have a very strong following among knife freaks, and French knives are very well regarded in professional kitchens.

What do you all think about the knives from this company... Warthers Carvings ? They're not high-end, but neither are they low end. I'm looking to get a set for my brother and SIL as a Christmas present next year when I have the money (this year wasn't kind to me). Are they worth it or should I look elsewhere (as in maybe a Wustoff or Henkels...not their pricier ones but of the same brand)?

I personally wouldn't buy a set of knives..but buy 3 decent/good knives
depending on how/what you cook.
I only use a chefs knife, a small cleaver, and maybe a breadknife.

What do you all think about the knives from this company... Warthers Carvings ? They're not high-end, but neither are they low end. I'm looking to get a set for my brother and SIL as a Christmas present next year when I have the money (this year wasn't kind to me). Are they worth it or should I look elsewhere (as in maybe a Wustoff or Henkels...not their pricier ones but of the same brand)?

They look pretty neat. I wonder how thick the blade is though.

I have to say I'm really really appreciating the links from Buzzard and FincaPerlitas. The help from jpaulg regarding where the knives come from is also very informative.

I need to discuss these things with my DH. He is probably already aware of some of these things, because he sharpens my knives and usually has an opinion regarding quality. I admit its not something I ever really thought about.

Thank you all!

I have to say I'm really really appreciating the links from Buzzard and FincaPerlitas. The help from jpaulg regarding where the knives come from is also very informative.

I need to discuss these things with my DH. He is probably already aware of some of these things, because he sharpens my knives and usually has an opinion regarding quality. I admit its not something I ever really thought about.

Thank you all!

Make it easy. Tell us what you would like and include your budget. You'll get all the info you can handle but it will enable you to make good decisions.

I personally wouldn't buy a set of knives..but buy 3 decent/good knives
depending on how/what you cook.
I only use a chefs knife, a small cleaver, and maybe a breadknife.

I pretty much agree. Even though knife sets may seem cheaper, they're usually loaded down with knives you don't really want or need. I have a ton of knives, but the only ones that I really use regularly are my 8" chef's knive, 6" utility knife and 8" bread knife.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom