Dutch Oven pot Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
I wasn't so sure that this recipe would be anything to write home about, but it really turned out very nice.

The key to this recipe is to give the roast plenty of cooking time. I tested the meat after 3 1/2 hours and thought that it was done. But further testing proved that another 1/2 hour or so was really needed to make the entire roast fork tender.

It's an easy recipe, so I won't go into details. Just follow the steps in the recipe and it'll be just fine. There was copious amounts of juice when it was finished, so you could get a ton of gravy out of it if you want. I didn't make any because the potatoes were so well flavored from the juice that it didn't seem necessary.

Here's the recipe:

Dutch Oven Pot Roast

2 Tbs. bacon grease or olive oil

1 Tbs. balsmic vinegar

2 tsp. dry rosemary; rubbed

3 Tbs. brown sugar

2 med. yellow onions; sliced

1 Tbs. soy sauce

4-5 cloves garlic; sliced

1 bay leaf

3-4 lb. beef chuck roast

salt and pepper to taste

1 tsp. black pepper

1-2 lbs. baby carrots
1 cup hot beef stock or broth

6-8 medium red potatoes; skins on, cut into chunks

1/4 cup honey barbecue sauce

1 tsp. thyme

2 Tbs. red wine vinegar

1 Tbs. parsley flakes

Heat a 12" deep Dutch oven using 20-22 briquettes bottom until oven is hot. Add bacon grease or olive oil, rosemary, and onions; cook 2-3 minutes until you start to see a little color on the onions then add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute longer. In a large measuring cup combine the beef stock, barbecue sauce, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, bay leaf, and black pepper; stir to mix then pour juice slowly into the oven. Season the roast with salt and pepper then add roast to oven and cover with as many of the onions as you can. Replace the lid then reduce the number of coals on bottom to 10 and place 14-16 coals on the lid. Cook for 30 minutes rotating oven every 15 minutes. After half the cooking time (approx. 2 hours), add carrots and potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley flakes. Replace the lid and continue baking for 3 – 4 hours until vegetables are fork tender.
Serves: 8-10

Attachments

• Anaheim dutch 1(R).jpg
    Anaheim dutch 1(R).jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 225
  • Anaheim Dutch 2(R).jpg
    Anaheim Dutch 2(R).jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Anaheim Dutch 3(R).jpg
    Anaheim Dutch 3(R).jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 212
  • Anaheim dutch 8(R).jpg
    Anaheim dutch 8(R).jpg
    252 KB · Views: 221
  • Anaheim Dutch 10(R).jpg
    Anaheim Dutch 10(R).jpg
    260 KB · Views: 224
Garry,

Here's a version I have made many times.

2 - 3# London broil
1 12oz. bottle of chili sauce
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 large sweet onion sliced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup dry white wine
3 whole cloves
3 bay leaves
1 cup beef broth

Get oven on bottom heat. Whisk sauce, sugar, broth and spices together. Add oil to DO sear meat and set aside (atop the inverted lid). Add onion to DO and wine and saute until clear. Push onions to one side and return meat, add sauce and onions on top. Cover with lid and top with coals. Let cook for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

Wow those sound wonderful!!!
Definately coppied!!
Garry, do you taste the bbq sauce much or i it just a background flavor??

Thumbs up! Thanks!

Garry, do you taste the bbq sauce much or i it just a background flavor??

Thumbs up! Thanks!

It really is just a background flavor. I don't think it'd be a problem if you wanted ti increase the quantity of BBQ sauce to get more of that flavor. To me, the strongest flavor was the garlic. That came through very nicely.

How would you convert this to a regular oven cook time? I don't have access to an outdoor grill area (living in an apt. and rules are no grills of any kind due to fire hazard). Given that, I was thinking about putting the roast in a roaster pan and putting it in the oven at roughly 375 degrees for about 2-3 hours (does that sound about right? If not what would you suggest?). Would you sear the roast before putting it in the roaster or just basically follow the recipe listed with the exception of putting it in the dutch oven and covering with coals.

Thanks for any suggestions, this sounds (and looks) like a wonderful recipe to try out.

How would you convert this to a regular oven cook time? I don't have access to an outdoor grill area (living in an apt. and rules are no grills of any kind due to fire hazard). Given that, I was thinking about putting the roast in a roaster pan and putting it in the oven at roughly 375 degrees for about 2-3 hours (does that sound about right? If not what would you suggest?). Would you sear the roast before putting it in the roaster or just basically follow the recipe listed with the exception of putting it in the dutch oven and covering with coals.

Thanks for any suggestions, this sounds (and looks) like a wonderful recipe to try out.

IMO 375* would be too hot...You want the meat to barely simmer (braise) in the pot....Not Boil. On top of the stove you can watch for a barely simmer...In the oven, your oven setting will be determinded by the type of pot/dutch oven etc. you are using....Maybe start in the 300* or less range, and go from there...Remember....just a slow simmer.

The house-broke DO version calls for 275 for 3 hours. I have made it both ways and it is a family favorite here. I should also add tossing in some peeled chunked carrots works well too.

Bob's right about keeping the temp. lower. Probably no more than 325 at the highest. The secret, as he said, is to let the roast simmer slowly. My roast was 3 1/2 lbs., and I took it out at about 3 1/2 hours. I should have let it go for a full 4 hours. And I never let it boil. It was always at a low simmer. I did not sear the meat at all.

Thank you for the replies. I'm definitely going to try it out when I next get paid. Thank you again. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom