Hi, need menu help and ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another problem is that originally I thought it was going to be about 20-25 people and now it looks like more like 50 or so. So I was thinking to do it at my house, but now I'm thinking about renting a place which is not a problem there is a place I will get, and actually for free, but it has no kitchen. So now I have new challenge: cook everything at home and transfer everything and worm up in chafing dishes.

Any thoughts regarding this?

Charlie, what about a whitefish salad? :chef:
Since she wants Penne a la Vodka, I don't think I would do another pasta. But you could do a fish dish like this one, that is easy to set up on sheet pans and bake.

Falafel-Crusted Salmon on a bed of Spinach
This is a “restaurant-style” dish that is easy to make at home. It’s a very popular choice for my Cooking Class Parties, because almost everyone likes salmon. Everyone also wants to be able to present an impressive and delicious meal to family and friends with as little effort as possible.
makes 6 servings
2 salmon fillets, about 1 pound each, skin removed
Dijon mustard
1 cup “Fantastic Falafel” mix
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon freshly ground cumin
extra virgin olive oil (to film the pan)
2 additional tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium sized onion, chopped
2 bags (10 ounces each) fresh spinach, stemmed, well washed and dried
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1. Cut each salmon fillet into 3 equal servings. Put a thin coat of mustard on top of each piece.

2.. In a small flat bowl or plate, blend falafel mix with pepper and cumin. Place both the fish and falafel plates near your cooking surface.

3. Film a large non-stick skillet with the olive oil over medium-high heat. Dip the mustard side of each piece of salmon in the falafel mixture. Shake off excess and place in the hot oil, crumb-side down. Cook until almost done (and well browned) before turning the pieces over (about 4 minutes). Cook about 4 more minutes. Remove to a warm platter and keep warm.

4. Add about 2 tablespoons olive oil to the skillet and sauté the onion until soft (about 4 minutes). Add the garlic and ginger and sauté briefly. Add the well-dried spinach to the pan and cook until wilted. When the spinach is almost dry, add the balsamic vinegar and toss gently to coat the spinach.

5. Divide the spinach among 6 individual plates and arrange the salmon on top. Serve at once.

I am far from vegetarian, and I doubt i would as much as touch one of those fake things. I actually have read some recipes for that soup on line and it really looks like meat balls really is a main ingridient. So I think it's out of the question. so I'm back to onin soup or maybe minestrone.

I think the minestrone would be better with the Italian theme of your dinner and it could be made ahead of time easily, reheated and kept warm nicely in crockpots.

I wouldn't mess with garlic bread for a large group. I'd get some good Artisan loaves someplace like Costco and slice and serve in large breadbaskets.

Another problem is that originally I thought it was going to be about 20-25 people and now it looks like more like 50 or so. So I was thinking to do it at my house, but now I'm thinking about renting a place which is not a problem there is a place I will get, and actually for free, but it has no kitchen. So now I have new challenge: cook everything at home and transfer everything and worm up in chafing dishes.

Any thoughts regarding this?

You can't "warm up" anything in a chafing dish, only keep an already hot dish warm. You might want to look into renting a unit that will keep the heat in while you are transporting the food. Vera Blue will probably have all the details. We used to do that when we had to cook off site and keep everything hot. (for the life of me I can't remember what those units are called, but they're not expensive to rent.:rolleyes:)

What time of year is the wedding? You could do a mushroom barley soup, or a lentil. If you're going with an Italian theme, a vegetarian version of pasta fazool (fagiole, really) would be tasty and pretty, too.

I have a vegetarian version of that, if you want it.

To rent a heating thing (whatever is thee proper name for it is out of the question, because the event is kosher, I am not going to find anything kosher in this town), I do know what you are talking about though and it would have been really nice. However I have been able to heat the foods up in a chafing dish in the past, just have to start earlier.

Event it self will be on the second of February (I think, or maybe on third, can't remember) barley is out of question. I hate barely and refuse to cook it either. Even though a lot of people like mushroom barley soup. But after eating it for 2 years strait, 5 days out of the week, I can’t even look at that grain.

The theme is not completely Italian. The girl is Russian, the guy is Israeli, she likes Italian food, he likes Russian food, and I am going to have to make a mixture of all 3, or actually 4, include American.

Having 2 types of pasta, I was thinking not everybody would eat penne, and not everybody would eat lasagna. But fagiole in the end also pasta, is it not?

Fish sounds good, but I am afraid it will take too long to make 50-60 potions. I should try to make it for the small gathering. It sounds delicious. I did not think about fish before, but now that you mention it, I think I should have it. Otherwise I do not have main course. Pasta is a side dish, even if it is lasagna. I’ll need a simple baked fish recipe, something that I can bake a whole bunch at the same time. Salmon sound like a good choice. I’m open for suggestions.

As far as bread goes, I might just do both, garlic bread and a bunch of different rolls. We have a wonderful brad bakery in town, Bread Smith, I absolutely love their breads.

Back
Top Bottom