Where to go on vacation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
I want to go somewhere new next year, it will be the first year to plan a vacation that is not dependent on my kids (now soon to be all adults) school vacation schedule. What was your favorite vacation and why? ~Bliss

Bliss... how long do you have and are you thinking of leaving the country or staying in the US? Do you want an adventure or relaxing time? Looking for a romantic get away?

If time allows... I'd head to Greece! It's beautiful!! The food is delish, the people are kind and helpful, the beaches clean and the water warm.

Closer to home.. MEXICO!! For all the same reasons but it's more relaxed and laid back.

The Bahamas are very wonderful!! Easy to get around because they speak English and use American dollars. Beautiful, romantic, good food, people were not quite as nice though..

Depends on your budget and things you like to do:

For a Beach/Relaxation Getaway: Hawaii is my choice. I would suggest atleast going to two islands (I recommend Maui and Kauai). Beautiful Beaches, vibrant greens and crystal clear waters. You can relax all day at the beach or drive, take a catamaran and explore the island. Lots to do.

For a more vibrant nightlife or cultural type getaway: London, Paris, Rome, Spain, Holland. Europe is not that far and lots of architecture and interesting things to soak in.

If you have the time and looking for something totally exotic and far away there are lots of options in Asia and Africa. I have only been to Egypt (most amazing place and will always remain in my books), Dubai and India but I hear Indonesia, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Singapore, China and Japan are really fun to visit if you are an adventurous traveler.

Oh yeah! Like GRK mentioned cruises are another great idea. The Alaska cruise ( 7 days) was great fun and we saw some beautiful things.

Do the freestyle cruising though... not as many rules to follow.. no dress codes...eat where and when you want... go to the shows when you want.. do what you want with the people you want NOT when and where the cruise line arranges it.

I'm thinking I have to plan for a new passport if I want to leave the country again. I like to go to places I haven't been before.
My budget is always small, but, it's amazing the deals that are out there sometimes.
I like a bit of physical activity, like hiking, and sight seeing nature's beauty. I like adventure, I like a relaxing time too.

My favorite natural places in the continental United States are the Green/White Mountains of VT/NH, Death Valley, Mountains of the Pacific NW, and the natural settings accessible from Denver (Rocky Mountain National Park, Great Sand Dunes, etc.). New York City, Las Vegas, Seattle, and San Francisco are fun, but I get sick of the dense noise after 3-4 days.

I spent 6 months traveling throughout the US a few years ago (along with Western Canada and Alaska), and those are my favorites in the lower 48.

Someday I want to spend 6 months or so traveling through Europe. I'd also like to visit Japan.

Can't stand cruises though... :wacko::LOL:

I went to France (Reims, Paris and Lyon) last October for less than $1000, excluding airfare. It wasn't a tour. There are great hotel deals out there on the internet, and lots of reasonably priced restaurants with great food... :)
I always LOVE to go to France. Have you ever been to Provence? great values there, as well.

Anywhere there is an ocean. I do not care much about quality of hotel or food. As long as there is nice ocean. I will sacrifice a lot of comfort just to spend couple of weeks swimming in the ocean and laying on the sand.

Another vote for Hawaii here.
We usually go every two to three years, (we save, so we don't take a yearly vacation). Absolutely love Maui!!

If you have not already done so, I recommend that you stay in the U.S. There are many beautiful things to see in our own country like Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, the Olympic Peninsula, go boating on the Rogue River in Oregon, the Shakespearan Festival in Ashland, OR, etc.

In California, I recommend the North Coast for it's scenic vistas, giant redwoods, great seafood, etc. South of San Francisco there is the Monterey Peninsula with Cannery Row, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, Carmel, Hearst Castle, Morro Bay, etc. That area is beautiful, but touristy. North of San Francisco there is the Sonoma and the Wine Country, beaches suitable for tidepooling, lots of areas to hike and sightsee, Redwoods, lot of sea life (sea lions, bird watching), Ft. Bragg and Mendocino Coast, etc. The north coast of California is more relaxing and laid back, perfect if you are just looking to get away from all the everyday hubbub.

Good luck and I am sure where ever you go you will have a great time!!

Visit northern California. Rent a car and drive along the northern coast, travel inland to Napa and Sonoma Valleys to visit wine country. Lots of winery tours, great restaurants. In this region, visit the redwood forests and check out Muir Woods State Park.

Continue down the coast and spend some time in San Francisco. One of the best cities to visit. The history, sights, restaurants, attractions are the best. Travel farther down the coast to the Monterey Peninsula and explore along the 17 mile drive.

There's a lot more besides but you get the idea.

We also visit Aruba each year for two weeks in the winter. There are lots of great tropical paradises if that's what you want.

Visit Eastern Canada. Quebec province has a lot to offer. Our favorite spot is Quebec City. The old city is the original walled city and pleasure to visit. It' like being in Europe. Again, lots of history, sights, restaurants and shops.

It's not far from there to Montreal. Another great city with a European flavor.

From there you can go to Toronto and on down to Niagara Falls.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a great time!

skiing! :punk:

either vermont or upstate n.y..

after some failed plans for summer vacation last year, i'm definitely going to take my family skiing in january. some place on or near the mountain, with room service and a heated outdoor pool.

I loved Thailand and Bali and it was so affordable (even for us South Africans with our less than great rand dollar exchange rate)

Asia is opening up to us like never before Tanyak, as is our own country through cheap airfares. It is now cheaper for me to fly to Singapore or Tokyo or Beijing now than it was to fly to our State capital a few years back

If you plan to visit Asia in future Tanya it could be worthwhile to base yourself in Australia and go from here. If you plan well ahead you can travel this country and throughout the Asia reason at very, very cheap rates.

Virgin, Jetstar and Tiger [Singapore] Airlines go head to head on the cheap fares as a rule. I travel Jetstar and get their promos a couple of times a week,
Sale fares
That came from Jetstar on Friday

Many of us now go up there for dental and elective surgery as do people from Europe, mostly Germany.

Hard to pick out any one favorite. Some of our best ones were ones where we just threw up our arms, got in the car, and drove! Once ended up in Nashville, once in Detroit, go figure! LOL.
Some good ones were a couple of trips to the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Arches, the Petrified Forest, going along the coast in Cali from around Bakersfield (cutting from Bakersfield straight over to the coast) up thru Moneterray Beach.
Then there was the tour of Boston and the DC area, including some Civil War sites. All courtesy of the company I used to work for. And Atlanta and that big hunk of rock they got down there ;)

Right now where would I go??? S-s-s-some w-w-where w-w-w-arm!!! It's 6 degrees here not counting wind chill!!!!! Either that or if I was back home take the kids to Horseshoe Bend Park for some good ol fashioned toboganing followed by some hot cocoa!!

I'm thinking I have to plan for a new passport if I want to leave the country again. I like to go to places I haven't been before.
My budget is always small, but, it's amazing the deals that are out there sometimes.
I like a bit of physical activity, like hiking, and sight seeing nature's beauty. I like adventure, I like a relaxing time too.

You would probably love Costa Rica. You can visit beaches, rain forests, an active volanco, hot springs, etc. Lots of outdoor activities and wildlife. It is a beautiful country with friendly people. I stayed in the Guanacaste region and had a fantastic trip some years back.

For value, you can't beat a trip to Mexico (or Canada).

My favorite beach in the US is a little spot called St. George Island in the panhanle of FLA. It is so relaxing and the beach house rentals are inexpensive.

Planning and looking forward to the trip is part of the fun - lucky you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom