Super Bowl Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always have, but last year I didn't even watch. I may not this year either. It really hurts right now to be a Seattle sports fan. I've just been hiding in the kitchen on Sundays this year =)

We are at our timeshare in Aruba every year for the Super Bowl. A group of 10-15 couples chip in and we have a party on the pool deck outside our apartments. We have a big screen TV and plenty of food and drink.

We sell squares for $5.00 each and pay cash prizes at the end of each quarter.

We are on vacation so don't spend a lot of time cooking and preparing appetizers. We buy prepared appetizers, chips and dips and burgers and brats at the local supermarket. There are gas grills for us to use.

Chili and finger foods. Little sandwiches, chicken fingers, mini pigs in a blanket, chips & dip, veggie platter & dip, buffalo wings, babyback ribs, sweet & sour meatballs. But most of all the main ingredient is beer on ice. We move our party from house to house each year, and sometimes we rent the Legion Hall when there are too many of us. This has been the case over the last three years we have had around 50 peeps. I have a meeting with my Superbowl Party buddys this weekend to go over plans to make it unique for this year.

We are hosting a Super Shindig at our place this year and are in the initial planning stages. I'm expecting around 10-20 (or so) people and plan to serve some traditional food (chili, chips/dips, wings, etc) but I'm kinda stumped on the games/activities. I like the idea of selling squares and awarding cash prizes per quarter but, alas, I am quite clueless as to how this works (can you believe it?).

I am interested in receiving (either here or by PM) clear directions of how to set up and play the squares thing and any other games people might suggest.

Thanks, Z

edited to add: I also like to make jalepenos, sliced and stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon, covered in cracked black pepper and roasted... always a hit.

Wow sounds like a good time! It is just my husband and I so we don't do much. I usually make a chilli dip with jalepenos. I've heard of a buffalo chicken dip that sounds good.

Anything you want to bring will be perfect Bob.:)

We are hosting a Super Shindig at our place this year and are in the initial planning stages. I'm expecting around 10-20 (or so) people and plan to serve some traditional food (chili, chips/dips, wings, etc) but I'm kinda stumped on the games/activities. I like the idea of selling squares and awarding cash prizes per quarter but, alas, I am quite clueless as to how this works (can you believe it?).

I am interested in receiving (either here or by PM) clear directions of how to set up and play the squares thing and any other games people might suggest.

Thanks, Z

edited to add: I also like to make jalepenos, sliced and stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon, covered in cracked black pepper and roasted... always a hit.

How do you make these? I had stuffed jalepenos once and they were so good. I love cream cheese. And bacon...

I've come to like blue cheese on my wangs. Restaurants expect customers want ranch and they 'water' it down. Blue cheese is perfect especially if it has the chunks a cheese in it.

How do you make these? I had stuffed jalepenos once and they were so good. I love cream cheese. And bacon...

I make them just as described... I slice the jalapenos in half top to bottom and stuff each half with cream cheese (nothing else added). Then I take bacon and wrap each one and jab a toothpick to hold the bacon in place. I place all on a cookie sheet and crack black pepper liberally over each one. I then put the sheet under the broiler until the bacon is suitably crisped.

My Dad goes all out. It's his Christmas dinner.......
Swedish Meatballs
'lil smolkies in BBQ sauce (gag but my brother insists)
spanikopita
mini quiches
and on and on with anything that really isn't football food!
hardly a potato chip to be found.... craziness!

Then he gets mad when he has us all over for all this great stuff and we talk too much and he can't hear the game. This year he put a bigger used tv in the basement. Bet ya $10 I find him hiding down there several times!

Do you turn them at all Z?
You CAN (I guess), but I don't. As long as they're not TOO close to the broiler they should cook fairly evenly. Even if they're not quite as crisp on the bottom they'll still turn out fine.

Then he gets mad when he has us all over for all this great stuff and we talk too much and he can't hear the game. This year he put a bigger used tv in the basement. Bet ya $10 I find him hiding down there several times!
Man, I hate that, too. Nothing worse. This is our first year hosting our own party and will have control. We're fortunate enough to have three LCD TV's strategically positioned through the main floor of the house - so I'm hoping that at least one of the three areas (big screen room) will be for the fans while other areas (kitchen and billiard/bar room) will be for those that may be less 'serious' about the action on the screen.

Back
Top Bottom