How long will my pork keep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elaine l

Head Chef
I would like to slow cook a pork shoulder tomorrow to use as bbq pulled pork sandwiches on Wednesday night. Is that okay to do?

Elaine, I Googled "storing cooked pork" and came up with this:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
"According to the USDA FSIS, cooked meat can be refrigerated safely for 3-4 days. For storage longer than four days, cooked meat should be frozen.
[/FONT]

Thanks Katie. I guess I won't do it that way. I just thought since I am home tomorrow that would be the way to go.

In my opinion, storing cooked pulled pork in the fridge for three days (Sunday to Wednesday) is not a problem at all.

If the OP is actually smoking the meat for pulled pork, I would readily say that it could last for several days longer than what the USDA recommends, as the nitrites and nitrates present in smoke act to preserve the meat a bit.

Even then, if the OP is cooking the meat in a crockpot, I still say it will keep. Just cook it until it pulls. Remove the bone. Shred the meat, and pour the juices from the crockpot over the meat, cover, and refrigerate. The juices will help keep the meat moist, especially if you reheat the pork in these juices.

Elaine, I Googled "storing cooked pork" and came up with this:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
"According to the USDA FSIS, cooked meat can be refrigerated safely for 3-4 days. For storage longer than four days, cooked meat should be frozen.
[/FONT]

Elaine, if you cook your meat on Sunday, you are still within the 3-4 day recommended storage time if you are going to serve it on Wednesday.

I am cooking it for the kids and they all like to take home the leftovers. I am afraid they will eat it past when it is still ok. Some of them seem to think food never spoils!

No harm in freezing it. Given the fact that you cannot control what's done with it after Wednesday, cook it today, portion it into 4 ounce packages and freeze them, then thaw out enough for Wednesday and give them the frozen packets to take home.

I do that and thaw the packets in the microwave in a couple of minutes.

I think I would just stick the whole thing in the freezer, take it out Tuesday and cook it all night Tuesday night. Refrigerate it until dinner on Wednesday. Then it will be bright and fresh for your guests. I'd second Andy M's suggestion, but I find that flavors and textures sometimes change when they are frozen, so freezing it after cooking may be disappointing.

MexicoKaren, that is an excellent idea. Wish I thought of it! I couldn't figure out when I would have time so I am cooking it now. It has been about 9 hrs and counting. I plan to pull the pork and throw it in the freezer like Andy M suggested (thanks Andy)

Back
Top Bottom