Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Made himself at home, he did...a cat story (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/made-himself-at-home-he-did-a-cat-story-54197.html)

lifesaver 01-11-2009 09:48 AM

verablue, that is a beautiful story.

AllenOK 01-11-2009 09:50 AM

We had a female tabbycat wander up to our place a month and a half ago. She was friendly as all get-out, immediately letting the kids pick her up, etc. PeppA called me to let me know that this cat was currently purring away contentedly in her lap. The next morning, "kitty" (as the kids called her) promptly started catching mice out of the garage. Living out in the sticks, mice are a problem. We decided to let her stay. She knew immediately what a litterbox is. I'm not sure if someone just abandoned her, or if she's a barn cat that wandered away from her farm. I know she spent some time outside, as she was skinny as heck, and had a really thick fur coat (this was in November).

LadyCook61 01-11-2009 10:43 AM

VB, bless you for taking the cat in. Just remember , cats do their own thing, they are independent creatures , lot of times they will give affection on their own terms.

marigeorge 01-11-2009 10:57 AM

Vera, I am glad I am not the only one that brings the strays in! I thank anyone that does take these poor little critters in. We have 3 that were strays...plus 3 that weren't! The latest is a little orange tiger female that we found out on the back porch just before Christmas. We took her to the vet for shots and spay right off, the money spent justifies keeping her! We named her Noelle but call her NoNo.

https://www.discusscooking.com/attach...57da7a9420.jpg

babetoo 01-11-2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeraBlue (Post 768744)
I've had a few parakeets in the past, but this is the first warm blooded creature, other than my children:ermm:.

my cat thomas is a wonderful companion. just he and i so he stays close to me. sleeps on my bed, etc. he has a gentle manner. he meows and chirps at me all the time. mostly he wants to be petted. cats are very clean i think. dogs not so much. i hope you really enjoy having him around.
babe:smile:

Andy M. 01-11-2009 10:38 PM

Clearly you've passed the test and have been adopted. Congratulations!

JMediger 01-12-2009 12:28 AM

My "Reggie" was a stray and while I've never had a cat before her (and never meant to!), I'm so happy I have her. When we adopted our dog, he became her baby and she keeps him in line and frequently reminds him who the queen is. She loves steak and pancakes and is a healthy 22 Lbs, much better than the meager 6 when I took her in 10 years ago. She loves to be loved (on her terms of course) and truly makes our little family complete.

Mama 01-12-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyCook61 (Post 768812)
VB, bless you for taking the cat in. Just remember , cats do their own thing, they are independent creatures , lot of times they will give affection on their own terms.

They definately are independent little creatures. If they had thumbs, they woudn't need people. :lol:

cara 01-12-2009 12:26 PM

Vera,
I'm really jealous of you.... I would loooove to have a cat again, but the way we live it's almost impossible.. right under the roof, no chance for the cat to get out, except around the decks of our house... Not sure, what the neighbours will say.... :rolleyes:

I think a cat would be the perfect pet for you...
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

kitchenelf 01-12-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeraBlue (Post 768744)
I've had a few parakeets in the past, but this is the first warm blooded creature, other than my children:ermm:.

And just remember, you are nothing more than warm-blooded furniture to a cat! :lol::lol:

cara 01-12-2009 12:36 PM

ah.. don't forget...
“Dogs have Owners, Cats have Staff.”

expatgirl 01-12-2009 12:38 PM

we've been cat people all our lives though I do like dogs, too...........we've been adopted my many cats over the years.............I can't read James Herriots (All Creatures Great and Small) author's The Christmas Cat without tearing up.........a wealthy widow (with 3 cosseted basset hounds, allows a cat, Debbie, to sit by the fireplace.....the cat only pauses for a few minutes to enjoy the fire and then wants out....time goes by and the following Christmas Debbie comes home for the last time.......she very weak and dying from a tumor but in her mouth is one black kitten that she lays on the carpet in front of the fireplace........she knows that her kitten will be safe........the following Christmas Herriot is invited in to see how Buster is doing........he's big, black and feisty like his name........the 3 basset hounds get no peace with him stalking them, jumping on them, etc., great story if you can read it without crying and messing up makeup............glad that you've been adopted, too, Vera :)

LadyCook61 01-12-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by expatgirl (Post 769995)
we've been cat people all our lives though I do like dogs, too...........we've been adopted my many cats over the years.............I can't read James Herriots (All Creatures Great and Small) author's The Christmas Cat without tearing up.........a wealthy widow (with 3 cosseted basset hounds, allows a cat, Debbie, to sit by the fireplace.....the cat only pauses for a few minutes to enjoy the fire and then wants out....time goes by and the following Christmas Debbie comes home for the last time.......she very weak and dying from a tumor but in her mouth is one black kitten that she lays on the carpet in front of the fireplace........she knows that her kitten will be safe........the following Christmas Herriot is invited in to see how Buster is doing........he's big, black and feisty like his name........the 3 basset hounds get no peace with him stalking them, jumping on them, etc., great story if you can read it without crying and messing up makeup............glad that you've been adopted, too, Vera :)

I've read James Herriot books. Also have seen the tv show on dvd All Creatures Great and Small.

JustMeToo 01-12-2009 01:47 PM

That was so sweet of you VB. Lots of luck.

lifesaver 01-12-2009 01:51 PM

beautiful kitties

VeraBlue 01-12-2009 05:18 PM

Seems he's got the wanderlust in his spirit.... Coco was taking out the trash this afternoon and neglected to close the door behind her. Max must miss his old 'under the bushes' buddies because he ran out the door when she wasn't looking....either that or he's playing hide and seek really really well:sad: and he's somewhere in the house. I knew all his hiding spots and it looks like he's going commando tonight.

He knows the way back and the door will be open again.

kitchenelf 01-12-2009 05:49 PM

They do like to roam. If he's a Tom he REALLY likes to roam!!!!

PieSusan 01-12-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeraBlue (Post 770323)
Seems he's got the wanderlust in his spirit.... Coco was taking out the trash this afternoon and neglected to close the door behind her. Max must miss his old 'under the bushes' buddies because he ran out the door when she wasn't looking....either that or he's playing hide and seek really really well:sad: and he's somewhere in the house. I knew all his hiding spots and it looks like he's going commando tonight.

He knows the way back and the door will be open again.

We are going to have a really cold night, I hope he comes back. Poor 'lil thing.

JustMeToo 01-12-2009 05:59 PM

Oh, I hope he comes back.

Fisher's Mom 01-12-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeraBlue (Post 770323)
Seems he's got the wanderlust in his spirit.... Coco was taking out the trash this afternoon and neglected to close the door behind her. Max must miss his old 'under the bushes' buddies because he ran out the door when she wasn't looking....either that or he's playing hide and seek really really well:sad: and he's somewhere in the house. I knew all his hiding spots and it looks like he's going commando tonight.

He knows the way back and the door will be open again.

When a cat selects you as a potentially appropriate human caretaker, they often take their time before committing to the relationship. Especially if he's a tomcat. Usually, they wander and return many times, with the time away from "home" gradually decreasing. It seems they are loathe to give up their "territory" until the new home is a sure thing. So they have to make daily rounds in their current territory, spraying everything within reach to make sure all the other cats know it's still taken.:smile:

BTW, if you glance at his derriere sometime when he has his tail up, you will see two large "clues" as to his gender if he is an unaltered male.:ohmy:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.