Cutleten. Susan it's for you.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Not sure about spelling. But that is what some people call them, some call them simple cutlets. But no matter what you call them the result is yummy.

1 lb beef chuck
About half a cup of chicken fat (or the other white meat fat)
(Or use the other white meat, then you do not need extra fat)
(As a special treat for younger kids make the same from chicken or turkey only meat)
1 small onion
2-3-4 = 1 or 2 more for latter seasoning cloves of garlic
1 egg
1 slice of white bread, soaked in water and squeezed
Salt, pepper to taste.
A little oil for frying.

Using meat grinder grind everything together, make sure bread goes into meat grinder last. Add one egg, salt and pepper and mix everything well. Shape into elongated form, kind of so it fits into a palm of your hand.
Fry covered on medium heat on both sides. While frying put couple of garlic cloves thru garlic pres or chop somewhat finely. When ready put the cutlets into container and sprinkle with the chopped garlic (optional). Cover tightly, let it seat for few minutes, serve. Goes perfect with mashed potato and a pickle, if you are Russian shut of vodka is a must. ;)
Commonly found on a Russian diner table.

P.S. the trick is to grind meat your self and not to buy already ground stuff, it will never be the same.

My dad grew up eating these. He loved them! My grandma would pan fry them in schmaltz, too!

Thanks for posting. I agree about grinding meat--I need to get the kitchenaid grinder attachment. I have been meaning to for some time.

I agree about chopped liver only to a degree. i found that food processor works just fine for liver.

Nope, when I could still eat the stuff--I did it the way my mom and grandma did: in a large wooden bowl with a mezzaluna. I don't think the texture comes out right if it is done otherwise. I know it is very old-fashioned.

I learned how to make certain things the old-fashioned way and never liked a processed chopped liver although mine is not chunky in the least.

This is so cool! I love all the different family traditions and variation.

You never had choped liver I make. Though I hear your point about the good old way. And really some things just do not come out the same when done by machines. But in this case (if not overdone) it really is not bad, not bad at all.

My mom always used a grinder for chopped liver, and an old, hand-crank one it was, that we attached to the top of the step ladder! When I closed their house, I toyed with the idea of bringing it with me, but I love my KA, and I only have "so much" space to store stuff, so I didn't.

Charlie, I also have used the Cuisinart, and it is possible to get the right texture of the liver, but you do have to practice at it. :)

ChefJune, I have been thinking about your love for Maida's cookie hamantaschen and I am definitely going to make a batch this year. I wrote to her years ago and she was kind enough to write back. I was so excited. I also have one of the silver pins that she designed. I found it on ebay. Yes, I am crazy for her.

Charlie, as for using other means to make chopped liver, my aunt uses her cuisinart and I feel it makes a pate rather than a chopped liver. Also, it can liquify very easily.

My mom ate at the Russian Tea Room years ago and loved how they served their chopped liver. I loved how she described how she was served.

I am sure that all these different versions are quite wonderful--just different from what I grew up with. I would be more than willing to give them a try--I just have food allergies and cannot have it anymore. I do remember it lovingly though.

Last edited:
my aunt uses her cuisinart and I feel it makes a pate rather than a chopped liver.

Susan, it isn't the Cuisinart that makes the liver into pate, it's the way your aunt is using it. When I used to teach classes on how to use the Cuisinart, that was one of the items I often made. If you use multiple short pulses, you can achieve the very same texture you are familiar with (the mezzaluna/bowl method). OTOH, if you use longer pulses, the livers become mush rather than chopped. When I have used the fp, the livers are the last thing added, right along with the schmaltz.

^lol, you are probably right. My aunt was not the best cook but she could make things look pretty. The original semi homemade.

Back
Top Bottom