No more roquefort for us?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
The price of roquefort is going to skyrocket. Anyone know of a good 'roquefort like' cheese made in the US, or better, in Wisconsin? I'm going to miss that little treat. ~Bliss

Look for Rothkase's Buttermilk Blue. Made in Wisconsin, and absolutely delicious!

The price of Roquefort is already pretty doggoned high... around here, about $26 per pound.

FWIW, Point Reyes Blue Cheese (from Marin County CA) is made from cows milk, but resembles Roquefort very much in texture and taste.

thanks so much for the recommendations!
I looked up the Roth Kase place and it's in Monroe WI, not too far for a drive on over there. Thanks!

I think you will love it! We do! It was on sale last weekend and I bought two big chunks for Super Bowl Sunday and etc.

I met the Rothkase folks at the Fancy Food Show several years ago, and at the end, they sent all their leftover cheese home with me! We really pigged out. :pig:

I think you will love it! We do! It was on sale last weekend and I bought two big chunks for Super Bowl Sunday and etc.

I met the Rothkase folks at the Fancy Food Show several years ago, and at the end, they sent all their leftover cheese home with me! We really pigged out. :pig:

You lucky duck! I'm looking forward to going out there to check it all out.

Just curious, what makes you predict another price jump for roquefort?
Somebody has to pick up the tab for the 300% tarriff. It is not going to be the government who imposed the tax, the manufacturer will not sell at below cost, distribution costs remain the same, that leaves the consumer. Basic market system.

It's not exactly roquefort, but I like Maytag Blue alot. It's made in Iowa, pretty easy to find and is very delicious.

Thanks Jennyema, I'll keep my eyes peeled for Maytag Blue. I need to give that a try too. ~Bliss

This government tit-for-tat has got to stop. It is like 2 spoiled kids, IMHO.

Thanks, Callisto, that was an informative article. It is sad, for the people of Roquefort, and for us.

maybe more for you guys than for the people of Roquefort.. okay, they lost one market, but they still have some others....
but I hope that will change in near future... ;o)

One of our local supermarkets today had 1.5 ounce packages of French imported Roqueforte for $7.00!!! Geesh. I'm thinking I'll be perfectly happy using other "bleu" varieties, thank you very much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom