Your barby can kill you!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave the baker

Sous Chef
Get your attention? There recently was an article regarding carcinogens created by grilling meats. This is true. Back in '99 or '00 I came across an article giving a marinade that can actually reduce greatly the cancer threat from grilling. It's from James S. Felton at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in California. I quote from the article in USA Weekly that I found it in:
"1/2 C. packed Brown Sugar,
6 Tbsp Olive Oil,
4 Tbsp Cider Vinegar,
3 Tbsp grainy Mustard,
4 Tbsp Lemon Juice,
1 1/2 tsps Salt,

Mix all in a large bowl or a plastic bag with a zipper. Add the meat of your choice; coat all sides. Marinate 5 - 10 minutes. (You make soak longer to intensify the flavor, but tests show longer marination does not increase anti-cancer activity.) Remove meat from marinade and place on hot grill. Remove meat from grill as soon as it's done. Longer grilling produces more carcinogens (cancer causing agents)."

And it tastes good, too!

Dave

Sounds great. I actually just posted a big paragraph on another thread about the risk of cancer due to the formation of toxic compounds on meats which cook for long times at high temperatures.

Didn't see your posting, but I'm glad we're both on the same track. I saw something in the paper a few days ago that reminded me of the article I refered to. Do try the marinade, it's actually pretty good.

google Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons, you should get plenty of info.
burned toast is just as bad though.

well I am screwed. I love to grill and I love burned toast - yum, it is nice and crunchy.

The first time I read about one of these "BBQ = cancer" studies several years back, it ended with a quote from the spokesman for the research team. He said the team could not verify their specific findings "because we ate the evidence."

google Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons, you should get plenty of info.
burned toast is just as bad though.

I was going to mention the burned toast too.

It's not new information - I think it just keeps resurfacing with a different food. And I intend to ALWAYS eat the evidence. :ermm: ...except burned toast, that's nasty!

You're right Miss KE....This has been around for years popping up here and there as "New" information. IMO your chances of getting cancer from eating grilled, slightly charred meat is about the same as one's chances of drowning in the shower...If cooking meat over hot coals/camp fires were a serious danger to the health of humans, then one or two things would have happened...Mankind would have starved or died out a few Million years ago....

I'm gonna fire up the Grill and..

Have Fun! ;)

Gotta say, UB, your logic is slightly off, although I have no problem eating grilled anything :)

Cancer usually takes a long time to develop, and until about 100 years ago, the average life expectancy of humans was around 45 years old. So earlier humans, whose life expectancy was even shorter, died of other causes (disease, infected wounds, wild animals, etc.) before they lived long enough to develop cancer.

To the topic of the thread, ingesting anything, even water, in large enough quantities is not healthy, so eat, drink and be merry, in moderation ;)

GotGarlic said:
Gotta say, UB, your logic is slightly off, although I have no problem eating grilled anything :)

Gotta say GG, my logic is my stated opinion, so it can't be very far off. ;)

Could be the Cave men were at a greater risk in their short life span due to eating meat cooked over open fires three times a day, or as often as they could...Surely they must have ingested Aromatic Hydrocarbons at a higher rate than the Avg. Backyard BBqer does today. For the record...that's my opinion too! :LOL:

Bon Appetit!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom