Going to and from the Grocery Store by foot.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonne

Assistant Cook
I'm having some car troubles and pretty much will be walking to and from the grocery store since it is only half a mile one way. It adds a twist to shopping because there are things to consider like transporting bread without squishing it. Cold/freezer items like to build condensation on the outside (especially in florida) so needs to be separate from dry stuff. Etc. I used to use a backpack but at that time I was mainly transporting soda and tv dinners.

Was wondering if anyone else does not go to the grocery store via automobile and maybe have some tips or tricks for a grocery shopping pedestrian?

I'd get one of those folding wheeled carts

41Gbzc-NhcL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Most grocery stores now sell insulated tote bags that will keep the cold items cold or the hot items hot. Harris Teeter sells them, so does Trader Joes and they work really well. Check with your particular store and see if they have them.

Those are commonly used by people of all ages who walk to the store.
Not in any neighborhood I've ever lived in -- but maybe it's a regional thing, and I've lived in California all my life. I recall seeing them used only by elderly women, including my grandmother, when I was a kid in San Diego about 100 years ago. Besides, when did "old" or "elderly" become pejoratives?

^^^ I wouldn't get caught dead using one of those....:-p

:D
I used to use one all the time I was 33 when I started. I used it at the Orange County Swap Meet (Costa Mesa, California), walking to Vons (Cypress, California), and around the OC (Costa Mesa) and LA (Pomona, California) County Fairs. They were great and so much easier than carrying drinks, the freebies, and all the neat stuff you purchase in a backpack or purse, not to mention kids jackets and changes of clothes. If Disneyland or Sea World had allowed them, I would have used it there too. For there I used my SIL's stroller. They are awesome.

For going to the grocery store, if you have a good "box boy" they will help you out and pack the heavy stuff at the bottom and the squishable stuff on the top. I used to try and load the belt at the checkout in order of heavy to light. I would also get reusable bags because those make it even easier.

They are a great help. I would buy one again if I was in an area where I could use it.

I thought about carts before. Not so much that elderly cart. Yes, people of all ages use them but in Florida usually it is only the bus riders and the elders. Even simpler would be a little red wagon. Maybe a modified skateboard with a buck and rope. Heck, I prolly could get away with taking the shopping cart itself home. However I prefer my travels without wheels. A lot easier to dodge traffic as if I were a matador and the cars were bulls.

Even if my car was working I am thinking also along the lines of incorporating exercise with daily routines. So I could get all I need with a cart, but 4 trips to the store for small loads by running there and brisk walking back would yield 2 miles of running and 2 miles of walking. Only reason why I haven't been exercising is because I am no where close to eating three meals a day. More like a meal every three days, which is why I am here. :ermm:

I used to walk to the store living at my previous address. I had small kids at the time and would take the wagon. I was great for hauling the groceries home. I was probably a sight walking with my wagon loaded with groceries, the 5 year old holding my hand and the toddler in the backpack!

I miss living in a community where there were fresh produce/meat markets in practically every street corner. You picked up items for that day's cooking only...
There were no need picking up a week's worth of groceries at super-markets.

I used to walk to the store living at my previous address. I had small kids at the time and would take the wagon. I was great for hauling the groceries home. I was probably a sight walking with my wagon loaded with groceries, the 5 year old holding my hand and the toddler in the backpack!

Now, that is way cool....:)

That's a felony in some areas. You might want to check with the store first.
Not only that, but markets in this area are now installing devices that cause the wheels of their carts to lock if they're taken beyond the perimeter of the parking lot.

When my daughter was a baby and we lived in England, I used to walk to the store and use her pram...it was built like a mac truck with great springs. Did surprise a few people who stopped to admire the "baby." Later on in life, I spent about a year going to the store with my bike, that had cargo baskets over each side of the back wheel. I could get one big grocery bag in each one, and the only problem was balancing the weight. I once had to split a 10 pound bag of potatoes....you can do this. And you will have such a great sense of accomplishment!

A light weight fold able cart would work well. We take one when we go to the city, or china town. You could bring a collapsible cooler with an ice pack to store the freezer items in. When I get in line to pay at the store I strategically place certain items together so they will bag them together, such as lunch meat, cheese and milk. Then I put the bread at the end with any light snacks like goldfish or crackers so it wont get smushed by soda cans or anything. These things work for me so I hope they will work you you as well.

Back
Top Bottom